1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For all the MILs who want to be loved by their DILs

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Nd123, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Nd123

Nd123 Gold IL'ite

I recently read a thread where a MIL talks about talks about the sacrifices that a son's mother makes and that DILs should be grateful and treat their MILs accordingly.

There was a post immediately after that basically saying, stop with the entitlement coz they did nothing special that the girl's mother didn't do.

There was a lot of back and forth with the OP claiming that she understands that but she just doesn't want her contribution minimized. If OP really meant it and wasn't just saying it to look better, then this is really not about MIL but about respecting our elders.
    For those women who want love and respect from their DILs, well it is a two way street. Since the previous thread turned into a mother of son Vs mother of daughter thread, I want to lay out a few simple obvious rules.

First I am going to explain why you have to follow the rules instead of automatically getting love and respect.

Times have changed
    1. Before women got married when they were 10 yrs old maybe even younger, so the MILs basically brought them up and hence they automatically became a part of the family.
    Now, we get married when we are around 25 sometimes older. We have our own individuality. Many of us work, where we are thought to be assertive and make our own decisions.

2. More recently, daughters were treated like second class citizens and hence accepted bad treatment more easily.
    Now, we are treated just as well as our brothers. We are not used to having our wishes take second place.

Giving birth / Education

3. We are just as educated, so when you tell us how you suffered and sacrificed to get your sons educated, we are not impressed. In fact, when you go on and on about it, we kinda start looking down upon you.

Imagine I go on and on about the difficulties I had cooking this dish, that you have made just as well. It is similar. Been there, done that, found out that it is not that difficult so not impressed. Or in other words, my mom has done that and she didn't make a big deal out, so I don't believe that its a big deal.

Now for the Rules

1. Teach your son to respect his in laws

2. Tell your son he has to spend as much time with his MIL as you expect your DIL to spend with you.

3. Teach him to respect his wife and her needs and ambitions.

4. Give as much importance to your DIL as you do your son. Be aware that she works just as hard and deserves as much consideration.

5. If you don't expect your son to come home after work and cook and clean, then don't expect it from your DIL.

6. There is another person in his life. Accept it. It is not possible for him to spend the same amount of time he used to spend with you as he did earlier.

7. Today's couples are very busy, we work and we are tired after work. We need to relax and then spend some time together. Be more understanding

8. You brought up your son. You had 25+ years to influence him. When he behaves badly, please believe that you are more responsible for his actions than your DIL.

9. If your son wants to talk to you, he will call. DILs aren't the gatekeepers to his phone.

10. Your son is responsible for maintaining contact with you and informing you of the various updates in his life. Not your DIL

11. There is a long history between your DIL and her parents. Don't expect the same sort of relationship that she has with her parents. If you want it, you need to earn it.

12. It does not matter if you are the world's biggest authority on child care. It is her bab , her rules. Remember that you are just the grandma, who while important does not get to make any decisions.
    If you are yearning to have a say on how the child should be brought up, please give birth or adopt. And please accept that you cannot possibly love or care about the child more that his/her mother does.

13. Accept that there are certain benefits to being the son's parents and certain benefit's to being the girl's. Due to long history, the girl is going to immediately trust her parents but you have to follow her rules for a while to show her that you can be trusted too. ( Just like with your son and his MIL)

14. Everyone changes as they grow up. When your baby started to walk, read, work you accepted the changes, why is it so impossible to accept that there will be changes, if he gets married or has kids.

15. You are supposed to get your emotional support and companionship from your husband. If you need to crib or vent, go to your husband.
    If you are not getting it, then it is not fair that you use your son. He is your kid. Please don't use him as a surrogate husband. In times of need/stress seek your husband's support first. And accept that he needs to comfort his wife first.

16. Don't expect your DIL to do all the work. Your family and your son are just as responsible.

17. Your son may be the best in the world for you. Accept that for her parents, she was just as precious.

18. Pick one. Either be the wise old one and learn to be gracious, making all the first steps or be the old lady who is stubborn and and egoistic whose DIL needs to apologize to her.
    You cant claim to be wise and hold on to your ego and expect your DIL to cater to your ego and take all the first steps.

The most important rule

Never talk bad about your DIL to her son behind her back. Once you do that, you are attacking their marriage. There is no way to twist that around and come out innocent. If you truly, unselfishly care about your son (forget DIL) and his happiness, you will not do that.

If you do that, you will be recognized to be the self centered, selfish women who is trying to ruin her marriage and after that I think that any smart women will try her best to exclude you and have as little to do with you as possible.

This is what I could think of. Please add any more that I missed. Or disapprove of any that are stupid.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

The woman who married your son is his wife. Learn to believe that she loves him and cares about him.

Your DIL loves and cares about your grandchildren more than anyone else. Don't second guess her moves.

4 people like this.
  3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Nd123 - beautifully written. NOW...can you publish it and make sure it lands in the hands of every woman who has a son? I have one, it's in my hands now :) AND I have every intention to follow your words to a T (Agreed I have about 20 years to go...but still :bowdown

11 people like this.
  4. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Good one. Agree with each one of it.
    Also want to add - Your DIL is never going to be as close as to you she is with her Mom. So post partum, naturally, she is going to want to be with her mom. Stop trying to assert your power and control after your grandkid is born. Its a vulnerable time for the DIL, let her be where she is comfortable and happy. Dont add pressure to her already pressured brain and body.

6 people like this.
  5. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Good post.
    One more point Mil, Fil Bil Sil who ever they need to have a life of their own.

1 person likes this.
  6. vsanlak

vsanlak Senior IL'ite

Really good post ND123.This is by far the best rule according to me...MY MIL managed too keep my DH from getting close to my parents. I do not interfere with mom n son relationship and since I dont talk to her much over the phone for a reason to avoid conflicts.... but my husband did the same thing to my parents as tit for tat, even when my father was diagnosed severely ill and was counting his days. My question to him is ,my parents celebrate him more than me when we are in India, does his parents do that to me?Would they evr hold me more than their own son?? have my parents ever created problems between the two of us or interfered in family matter like his Mom does?? She just could not accept the fact that my dad was kind, influential, wealthy and magnanimous and had people singing his praises due to his helping nature. Inferiority complex!!! She didn't want her son to realise that and kept him from being close. Both my mom and dad passed away recently in two weeks interval..and my heart will always have this scar of how they felt that their son in law did not talk to them as much as they wanted him too knowing my dads condition. I don't even think my MIL would care if I thought about her or not..thats the difference between a girl's parent and a guys parent..for them son-in-laws are son's and this is not true for the other relationship!!!

Couldn't help writing my personal exp and other than this my DH is wonderful and treats me like a queen. I too have a son and know what I should be doing and what not!! You want your son to be happy let them live their life the way they want it and always be there for them when they need it... Just like DKI, I too have around 19 years for that..:)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    4 people like this.
  7. GauriHere

GauriHere New IL'ite

ND123: Very good explanation:wowLoved each and every point :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

:exactly:Thanks Nd123

9. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

ok, Nd, I am going to play devil's advocate here. We read so many sad stories here and many advise the lady to ignore the loser hubby, loser mil, loser inlaws family and concentrate on the child(ren). Many dukhi women also say they ignore every one now and only living for the kid(s). So between that time (childhood) and this time (adulthood) looks like u want them to do complete u turn on attachment to child. Pls give steps on how to accomplish the U turn also for the sake of the future MILs who are now raising their ds's age 3-4 years in an unhappy marriage in this forum.

1 person likes this.
  10. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Thank u ND123..
    Loved them all..Beautifully written.So much want to keep a copy of it.
    Some from my side-

#Please don't freak out on the sexual intimacy of son and DIL.You had your own in your younger days.Don't keep crying how your MIL(with whom you never stayed) never let you be close with your husband.

#Don't keep crying all the time-I did this,I sacrificed a lot,I took care of my ILs,I got my SILs married,Everything good happening in Inlaws house was because of me,BILs got educated coz of me,I am the best DIL whereas I am stuck with the worst,I-I-I-I am the BEST..Please cut that crap..
    Frankly speaking,if you were that good,it would have shown.People would have appreciated and please,we have eyes and ears to see how you treat your In Laws(don't even visit them once in 2-3 years)..

#Please don't put words in people's mouth to appreciated your cooking skills.Let them do it themselves.And no one praises after every bite-stop being such a wannabe

#You are quite old to compete with DIL.Stop doing that.Stop looking like a woman who wants everything like your DIL.Act your age

#Your son is not going to elope with me forever.Stop accompanying us to every place.And please please don't be so possessive.I am not your Sautan

#Don't back bite about me.I get to know!!

#Don't fret on seeing my parents.I am their daughter and will always be.They WILL visit me whenever they want.Stop acting sweet on the face while full of venom inside

#SIL has a place in our lives.She is your daughter and my H's sister.No one is denying that.Please stop bringing her in all discussions.We are doing a lot for her.Stop pushing so hard.And please both of you stop taking sympathy.It sucks

#Stop making me see Baghban and serials like Meri Bhabhi.I hate it when you do these talks reminding us duties as Beta and Bahu.We are doing that already

#Please teach some of your gyans to your daughter also.She needs them much more than me.Tell her to go and do something for her in laws.How come her in laws are worst and mine are best..

#MIL and SIL..Please let us live,enjoy our lives and have fun.Don't pretend as though you are so poor and deprived.You always always have fun.Please let us have peace and sanity..

I'll come up with more..

13 people like this.