1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Footwear, the unsung heroes in our life!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Jun 28, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

A few days back, I found myself in a difficult situation. The sole of my footwear had separated from the rest of the shoe. It had peeled back till the middle of the shoe, and was hanging on to it with great difficulty. This was making it extremely difficult for me to walk, because the sole kept rolling back, and was coming under the shoe. So I was trying to walk with a lump under my foot. I tried dragging my foot along, but that really did not work, so I was forced to walk on the sole, with the annoying bump under my foot. Luckily, I did not have to walk much, and was able to reach a cobbler without much ado.

The gentleman did a great job of sticking the sole to the shoe. For good measure, I asked him to fix the other shoe as well, so that I don’t find myself in such a situation in the future. As I walked home after the shoe repair, I was very conscious of my shoes, and was trying to step very carefully. I pictured a humorous situation where I was walking with the slippers in my hands, with more concern for them than my feet. That image brought a grin to my face. It also made me realise how important our footwear is. I generally wear bathroom slippers at home, and prefer to keep my feet encased in footwear all the time.

We hardly pause to think how important and necessary footwear is for our wellbeing. They protect us from dust, dirt, messy roads, pebbles that can pierce and injure our feet, and sometimes even dangerous objects like glass or nails. Apart from that, as we are discussing a situation in India, footwear also protect us from unmentionable things we find on the street, which cows, dogs and sometimes even humans use.

After that incident, I have given a little more thought to my footwear, and I plan to take better care of them than I generally do. Three cheers to footwear, which protects our feet and our health, by keeping them clean and safe!

13 people like this.

2. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Crazywriter

Very good observation. I too am very cautious of my foot wear what, where, how I wear...... I dont keep one but few pairs as it may get worn out fast and also keeping in mind a little vanity / fashion matching to the attire.

For home use, I too have a hawai slipper. I wash my feet well once I am back home first thing, else I feel very very uncomfortable. I prefer healed slippers for outside for formal wear / sandals, flat for casual wear and a stoned decorative ones for occasions / functions. I prefer also not the bukled ones where u need to sit n wear instead a slip on or an elastic back strap is fine for me.......

Last but not the least, the slippers have to be leather as I am allergic when it contacts water for regular wears and also fitting.

I would suggest even if you pay a little more, go for good brands as they are long lasting, comfortable and value for money with regard to quality without any danger of fungus etc.

Best Regards
    Shanti

3. crazywriter

Very true, Shanti,

I too am very careful with my feet, and wash them everytime I come home, and put cream and socks on them at night. I prefer to buy footwear which cover my heels, to prevent them from getting cracks. Yes, I will go in for a good brand henceforth, so that I can avoid this situation in the future. :)

thank you for giving the first reply. :)

4. crazywriter

And thank you for the like, Shanti :)

5. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Heyy!!

I remember a very embarrassing situation I was put in by the chappals I bought from the famous Fashion Street. No offence, of course the place is in my favorites list!!

I was to go to my would-be-hubby's place for the weekend in the most romantic season of all times - MONSOON!! Now, it so happens that monsoon and Fashion Street footwear dont go hand in hand ever!! So I was to take a early morning bus to go to his place and so I put on my favorite and the most delicate two-strap chappals!! While I was walking to the auto stand, one of them broke in the same fashion you have described above!! Frantically I called up home, and my dear sister (yes, I call her dear only when I remember she has helped me!!) came rushing on her two-wheeler to provide me with another pair! Now guess what, they were from Fashion Street too!! So here I'm happily going to the bus stand, thanking my 'dear' sister for saving my face!!

And as I am walking from the auto to the bus, lo!! another slipper cracks!! *@!&%!!*&! I swore in all the ways I could because I could not ask my sister to come back, the bus was about to leave, and to my horror the rain God answered someone's prayers and poured in!!

I was limping to the bus with one slipper in hand and the other saving my other foot! I had to call my dear darling would-be-hubby to bring me another pair, and as it had to be, that guy didnt know what to buy and got me a pair of lakhanis!!!

So, moral of the story -
    1. Take utmost care of your chappals
    2. Have one pair of lakhanis! You never know when you need them!
    3. Fashion street / linking road / any such street, road and MONSOON dont go together!!

Have a great monsoon ahead!

Thanks for the reminder to bring out the lakhanis!!

Love,
    Smriti!

5 people like this.
  6. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Crazywriter,

This is so true. We sometimes do not give importance to such small things in life. In reality we cannot do without them.

7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Crazy dear what you have written is 100% true. We should take care of our footwear.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I agree with you crazywriter..foot wears are the unsung heroes.
    We find their importance only when such situations arise.

Sriniketan

1 person likes this.
  9. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Nice post crazywriter!

I have had innumerable experiences too... Not just the local ones but branded ones too have tore many times and left me stranded in the middle of street.

One of my colleague always kept an extra pair at office... And she was kind enough to lend it to others when need arose... I know she would have gained lot of "punya" because of this social service :)

I enjoyed reading your post...:) Keep them coming

1 person likes this.
  10. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

True!!! She must have certainly earned a lot of punya!!