1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fooling Around Freedom

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Sep 7, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Fooling ourselves on the subject of freedom
    We may fool ourselves with the idea of freedom but there nothing that can be called freedom.There are two aspects to freedom-
    1. are we really free and if so,
    2. are we free to do what we like?

The second one first. There is no absolute freedom. We may be free to think what we like but we are not free to do or say what we like. The freedom is not without restrictions. The irony is that the restrictions are not applicable on who make and execute those restrictions. The rulers make the rules for the ruled and find ways to exclude themselves from those rules. What type of freedom is this?

So we are left with the first- are we really free? The answer is a big NO. Here are some examples:

1. We are told that we should live a pious life to find a place in heaven. Where is freedom when a seat in heaven is conditional? Who decides what is sin and what is not?
    2. We all know people doing wrong things are being rewarded in this very life and people doing right things are living a wretched life, hoping to be rewarded after death. Very funny!
    3. All who take birth have to die once. Who decides when and why? They say those whom God loves the most takes them early. That means He does not love some at all and leaves them in a vegetative state for long as punishment for the sins committed by them in the previous life. And we are told God loves all equally, what a logic!

Fact is we are not free in this life and question of past or future lives does not arise. We have been sent here to live for 100 years with risks involved, some in our control some not. Accidents do happen but people do not stop traveling. Every year life on the river banks or ocean shores is destroyed by natural calamities but people return to rehabilitate there again. Wars are fought, won or lost but rebuilding happens.
    Stay positive and march on one-two, one -two............stop.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hariji, Very well written ! We are all fools hoping to lead long lives and go to heaven when we die.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari
    There is a folklore about Narada who is known to be chanting Vishnu's name all the time. Once when he was going with Vishnu, he told the Lord that it amazed him how people got entangled in family life and forgetting to chant Bhagavatnama. Vishu smiled and told Naradha to fetch him a pot of water. Accordingly Naradha went to a nearby river to fetch a potful of water. As he was thus engaged, he saw a beautiful girl just emerging out of the river after a bath. Narada was struck by her beauty and fell in love with her instantly. The feeling was reciprocated by the girl too.
    They got married and begot children. He found it difficult to maintain his family without any income. The wife asked him to get some water from the river instead of sitting and dreaming all the time. He picked the pot and went to the river. He was full of remorse that he could not feed his family properly. He decided to take a bath before fetching the water and as he lifted himself from the water, he heard the Lord asking him how long he would take to get a pot of water. Narada was stunned and looked around. The Lord asked him if he was looking for his family and assured him that the family drama was just a split second one played by the Lord. He asked Narada how many times he chanted his name while living with the Maya of his family. Narada was ashamed that he did not chant the Lord's name even once!
    Sri

sangeethakripa likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

Dear Sandycandy,
    Thanks. As Ghalib said,
    Hamko maloom hai jannat ki Hakikat Ghalib.,
    Dil ko behalane ke liye khyayal achcha hai.

( I know the truth about heaven, but it sounds good to please the heart)

5. HariLakhera

Dear Krishtherod,
    Yes, not possible. So we can only enjoy what in the plate.

6. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Cheeniya,
    Thank God that was only a folklore. Some even have such dreams and take them for true till they wake up and set their feet on the ground. We have been conditioned to chant the name of our God (yes there are many gods, your God, my god, his God, her God, their god, ) day in and day out for something great to happen in life or after life. Nothing wrong in that. Above all faith is all about our very existence. It is because of faith that we plan for tomorrow.
    In return this faith takes away our freedom. But then who do not have such faith too have no freedom. In either case no one is sure of heaven or hell.

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Freedom has conditions and responsibilities. As nothing comes free freedom is also not free.
    Freedom has limitations. No absolute freedom exists.
    God, faith, heaven, hell.....all these are above logic.Heaven and hell I do not believe. God and faith gives us, at least to people like me enough strength to face and live life. It is like a support system. Otherwise life would be a big havoc!
    Pious life...not for heaven or hell. For our own conscience.
    Hypothetically....if everyone has full freedom to do or say or behave how they like how would be the world be! Can't imagine!!!!There should be boundaries.
    But still with the freedom (may be limited) people are able to live happily, meaningful way and achieve what they want to.
    It is a tricky subject. As no absolute freedom, there is no absolute solution also.
    Syamala

8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

'Hari' Ji is doing 'Narada' work to our minds with his tricky questions! :D

Kidding! Like your snippet style, gets our brains worked up! ;) Keep them coming! :thumbsup:

9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

I was reminded of a quotation a lecturer told us in college , so long ago :
    " Your Freedom Ends Where My Nose Begins "

kaniths likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

Shyamala ji,

I agree with your views that there is no absolute freedom. This is about when we are part of a society, which I will call small order. And there is another situation which I will call a bigger order i. e. The court of the creator. A seat in heaven, a long and healthy life may be of 100 years, fruits of good work in this very life and others. Those too are or seem to be conditional.
    We are not born free.