1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. rakshantha

rakshantha New IL'ite

Re: Feeding

hi

When my daughter was 7 months old I used to put rice, dhall boiled vegetables and grind it to a paste and feed her. Try it to ur kid with a small quantity. It there is no reaction to it then start giving rice and dhall, otherwise wait a month or two. If ur kid does not like the taste dont force the kid again. Try the same after two days. U can also make porridge out of barley powder(kezhveragu kanji). It is very good for kids health.

regards
    rakshantha

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. Mariabrittney

Mariabrittney New IL'ite

hai

Thank you for your suggestion i try this as soon as possible

Thank you sis
    Maria:hatsoff

3. Nalini

Nalini New IL'ite

Hi
    You can pressure cook little rice, dhal and one veggie adding a pinch asafoetida powder. Then temper in ghee little pepper jeera powder. Grind it smoothly. Try this. If she likes, you can give tuvar dhal and moong dhal alternating with different veggies. But introduce one at a time. This is what i gave my daughter. She liked it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. Mariabrittney

Mariabrittney New IL'ite

Hai

Thank you nalini for your precious suggestions

5. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

Baby food for 9 months old?

Hi All,

My son is 9 months old. Now he is only on Milk (Lactogen). Earlier we used to give him Cerelac, Idli, Rice etc., But now he is not interested in anything. Can anyone suggest me any interesting food for my kid?

Also suggest me, what else can be given to him at this age?

Thanks in Advance !!
    Sasi

6. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

Re: Baby food for 9 months old?

hi sasi...
    your post was in last month..so your son must be 10 mnths now...at 10 months my baby was having 3 feeds of formula milk and 2 solid feeds...babies tend to change their tastes rapidly at this stage and by 1 year they are ready to have bites from our normal food...the trick is to diversify their diet by giving two three different courses of food in small quatities at the same time...
    u may try this breakfast cereal called weetabix...when mixed with formula milk, it forms a smooth porridge and to add interest, u may mix some pure apple juice or mashed banana to it..
    and also u can try mixing curd with mashed rice or mashed potato...my daughter used to finish up the bowl clean if i added curd to any of her food..
    if u get flavoured yoghurt (apple, banana or strawberry flavour) in ur place, u may try that also..
    u can introduce pureed vegetable combos like pumpkin and sweet potato carrot and peas etc...
    better add fruit or fruit juice for sweetening the food coz once they get used to the sweeet taste of sugar in food they wont like the mild sweetness of fruits...
    all the best!

7. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Hi..
    My son has also started his 9th month.What I usually give him is cereals mixed with apple juice or alternatively cereals mixed with apple and banana puree.
    Also I mix together beans ,peas and carrot and give it to him in pureed form.
    mixing carrot with peas reduces the pungent taste of peas a little.
    I have also tried spinach,sweet potato etc and he ate them readily.Try giving him a wider variety of things to eat to keep him from getting bored of the taste.
    Hope this helps in some way.

8. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Also suggest me, what else can be given to him at this age?

Sasi[/quote]

U can start giving rice(with dhal and rasam)..i used to cook dhal with veggies like carrots,peas and beans in the cooker ..Then blend the rice with dhal and all other veggies in the mixie till it becomes pasty(maybe for 10 secs)andfinally add clear rasam..
    Ragi koozh is also gud for babies..

9. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

oil,onion for 8 month old ?

Hi ,
    Looks like Baby is ready for real adult food since now he refuses rice cereal and boiled vegetable. He had a whole cup of dhal last weekend. My question is
    Is it okay to give onions ( like sauted in dal) and oil to a 8 month old. I cannot give ghee but was wondering if oil is okay and is it easily digestable for a 8 month old. Also any tips in adapting our adult foods to baby's taste ( how to make it less spicy, what to avoid etc). My baby likes the taste of adult food but does not like the solid texture yet. He prefers items pureed so how do I get away from this ?
    I dont know whether my cooking is bad but he just wont have the boiled vegetables and rice anymore :) He is okay with sweet stuff like fruits, prunes etc
    Also is not jaggery a form of sugar ? Is it okay to give to a 8 month old ?

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: oil,onion for 8 month old ?

Hello,

Do check out this link, we have discussed this is detail here:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/8579-starting-solids-4-6-months.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/baby-kids-foods/4993-foods-9-12-month-old.html

Onions are okay to give , but since you say that he is not eating solids yet, then you would have to give in the form of veg soup.

Yes any oil is okay. But why are you avoiding ghee? any reason ? have you tried giving him ghee and he is not able to digest it?

Ghee makes dal rice etc more eatable , and then adding a bit extra ghee to the regular food and giving to the baby is how you would slowly adapt him to the spiciness of our food.

Vandhana

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008