1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hello Nila,

I am from NJ and for both of my kids, started giving yogurt or home made curd when they were around 7 or 8 months old. As Mrs.C has mentioned, after doing annaprashnam before or during the first year birthday, started feeding curd rice.

From my experience, any kid will do cute reactions when they first take curd as the taste is so unique(sour with sweetness). So, it will take some time when comes to home made curd, but, on the other hand, they will just swallow the shop based yogurts like yoplait or yo yo baby products(flavored yogurts). Start with one and check if she is fine or allergic and based on that, proceed further.

Best of luck..

2. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Lunch ideas for toddler

Hello All,

I will be sending my 18 month old to daycare and would like to get some lunch ideas to pack for her.
    Also I am looking for a good thermal lunch box to send...so that the food stays warm for her to eat during lunch time. Any ideas and suggestions please......

Thanks in advance!

3. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Thanks for your inputs!

Dear Chitvish & Ami,

I shall try just home made curd (w/o rice) for my kid after the meal. Let me see how my kid likes it. I shall then try yoghurt.

If my kid takes it well without developing any allergies, I shall then proceed with curd rice & varieties of yoghurt.

Now that I got a perspective of both feeding in India & US, I have the confidence to give a try.

Thanks again,
    Nila

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Lunch Ideas

Dear Sihi,

Yes the big dilema we face ...Packed lunch. First off, for the lunch box itself, Thermos brand has a 10 oz food jar that cost about 14bucks. It keeps food warm for at least 5 hours. You get nice pink and purlple color jars for girls. Check it out in target, walmart or online.

As for the food itslef. Pack what she likes best. So that she will eat. I think in the food jar, you can give things like upma, veg rice, dal rice etc... or mac and cheese, pasta with sauce, noodles, etc... Or finger foods like sandwhiches., idli( small ones)
    Also pack small box with come cut up fruits like grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, or veggies like carrots, cucumbers.
    You can give fruit flavored yogurt. Get the small ice pack that you can put in the freezer, and then put it in the lunch bag along with the yogurt to keep it cold. Apple juice .

Avoid chips, and other oily snacks.

V

5. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the great ideas Vandhana! have more questions for you:)

How can we pack poori or chapati in that food jar for it to stay a bit warm? also side dish for the poori or chapatis? Is that foor jar easily openable by a small kid?
    Yeah initially I am planning to pack her rice items like upma, dal rice, pongal etc.
    How do you send sambar or chutney for idlis? do we need to buy 2 such food jars then?

Regards,
    Sihi

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Answers

1. No the food thermos cannot be opened easily by a young child. But for the food to stay warm, this is the best. Am sure you can ask the teachers to help open it. At 18 months, we cannot expect kids to open their own boxes. accidents are bound to happen.
    2. No the thermos is not ideal for puris or chappatis
    3. You can give sabjis in the thermos no probs.
    4. I usually pack the idlis in a tupperware box. and send the sambar in the thermos.

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

7. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

Baby juices and soups

hi
    my baby is 7 months old.
    my ped advised me to give fruit juices and vegetable soups.
    so ladies if u have ideas, pls suggest me.
    it is veryhelpful for me.
    thanks in advance

regards
    seetha

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  8. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Re: Baby juices and soups

Dear Seetha,

You can give your baby juice when you introduce fruit. Apple juice is well tolerated as a first choice. Grape and pineapple juices can also be offered. Because of the strong taste of juice, your baby may prefer it diluted. Most will enjoy undiluted juice by one year of age. To introduce your baby to a cup, try having him/her drink juice from it.

Make sure that you give your baby only commercial baby juices or juice that has been pasteurized to kill any dangerous bacteria.

Start with mild juices, such as apple, apricot, grape, papaya, pear, peach, and prune, Although some experts recommend orange juice and other citrus juices at 6 months, others recommend waiting until 12 months, especially if allergy to citrus runs in the family. Citrus is one of the foods that is a common allergen . Ask your pediatrician when you should start giving your baby orange juice.

Apple juice seems to be very popular because it has a low chance of allergy, although a friend of mine uses it because it doesn't stain the carpet. It certainly is no more nutritious than other non-citrus juices, unless it is vitamin C-fortified. If you're going to give your baby apple juice, infant juice is probably your best bet because adult apple juice may still contain the pesticide alar. Although alar is no longer used on apple crops, there may be some still remaining in stored apples or juice concentrates somewhere. Why take the chance? Use apple juice that is purposely for babies and more carefully screened for alar.

For more info
    Giving Baby Juice

Also see the below link for baby soup, as I haven't introduce soups for my baby (10 months old) yet so I haven't much knowledge on that....

Healthy Baby Food - Nutritious Soup Recipes

Hope it helps.....

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hello Seetha and Teja,
    This is a very healthy and nutritious soup for kids suggested by my datr's ped. Cook one medium size potato and a handfull of soaked or fresh green peas. Blend them to a paste and add little salt and little ghee to it and cook the paste diluted with a 1/2 cup of water. Peas help in mental growth of children and potato is a good carbohydrate. The taste of this soup is also good. I started this for my datr when she was 6 month's old. (make sure there is no coarsein the paste). Try it out and let me know the result

10. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Rajmi,

Thanq for sharing this soup with us. I will definitely give a try n let u know my feed back.

Bye
    Teja:wave

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007