1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot sonia

Dear Sonia

Very kind of you...it was a very useful link. Before starting this thread, I was confused what food to give my baby...now, I am confused which one to choose out of the whole lot of recipes posted in the site. See the difference:) .

Regards

Lakshmi

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear lakshmy,
    I give you the recipe which I gave for my son and he has turned out to be a healthy eater. I have no problem in making him eat even bitter gourd.
    As soon as I started on semi solids, I made it a point to give him slightly spicy and hot stuff like rasam.
    In the morning at around 6, a glass of milk or any such feed. Then again at 8 also same. At around 10.30 after the bath, I used to give him a special food-
    take 1 tsp each of rice, tur dal moong dal,wash and put in a container. Add a small piece each of onion, potato, carrot, beans, peas, tomato, few leaves of any greens, cabbage. Pour enough water and pressure cook till soft. Then pass it through a kitchen machine, not a mixie, so that the child will get a habit of tasting slightly grainly food too. If the food is very much mashed, the child may not learn to eat crunchy food. (Consider the age of the child also).
    Add a dash of ghee, a pinch of hing, roasted and powdered fine pepper and jeera (a pinch each). Mix well and feed with a spoon. This has all the veg. and tastes. Pepper and jeera are good for digestion and immunization. The child should be made to drink water after this and after 15 minutes, the child will sleep. Then as soon as it gets up, give a glass of mosambi or orange juice, evenlemon juice cn be given, this makes the child resistant to diseases like cold etc. Give a small ripe banana, well mashed. Then after 1-2 hours, idli can be given with thin rasam or thin sambhar. At around 7 in the evening, ragi powder can be made into porridge and given with slight sugar and a dash of ghee. This will help the baby to sleep well in the night, its stomach will be full. Night feed of milk can be given one. Give water in summer at night also.
    My paed told me to introduce all tastes before the child is 5 years old so that it will not be choosy.
    My son never ate chocolates till he was 5 and he will handover the same if somebody presented him with chocolate. So no problem of worms.
    Hope this had been of some help.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

1 person likes this.
  4. Lakshmivinoth

Thanks Varloo

Dear Varloo

Thanks a lot for your mail with suggestions and recipes. Will try your recipes and let you know the feedback. I have few doubts:
    1) How to prepare ragi porrige?
    2) The recipe of mixed veggetables has any age limit? he is just six months old. What is the recommended quantity for this age?

Thanks once again Varloo

Regards

Lakshmi

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2006
  5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear lakshmivinodh,
    Do you get ragi grains there? If so, you can soak it for 12 hours, then drain and put it in a cloth. Keep it moist so that it gets sprouts. This will take another 12 hours. Then dry roast it or dry in the shade in a hot place. Then powder it finely, sieve well. This can be stored for 1 month.
    Or you can soak the ragi and grind and take out milk. Then the milk can be strained and sundried (covered with a cloth). This will be very fine powder.
    Or if you get quality powder, that is best.
    Take 2 or 3 spoons of powder, add water and make a smooth, watery paste. Then keep over slow flame and keep on stirring. This will start to cok and solidify. The colour will change, you will know. A nice aroma will come. Take off from fire. Add a little ghee, sugar taste. Feed when comfortabily warm to the child. You can add a little potato, carrot and other veg. (well boiled and mashed) the same way or with a little salt instead of sugar.
    You may get banana powder there, usually Malayalis use this Nendram banana powder for making porridge in place of ragi. Tht is also full of protein and starch, good for the baby.
    Whatever you decide, try only one food at a time. If there is any problem, you will be able to pinpoint what is wrong. Give very little quantity, say 1/4 cup of porridge at a time, then increase the qtty. as the baby starts eating it. Give space between such feeds.
    The rice can be started by 8 months, people start even before. But, I feel 8 months will be right. It canbe given till the baby is one and a half years old. Silutaneously start with slight crunchy food also. What does your mother and mil say? Just ask their opinion also.
    Feel free to ask anything you have doubts. I am happy to answer.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

6. Lakshmivinoth

Thanks Varloo

Dear Varloo

There are few shops in Dubai which are meant for Tamilians and where you get most of the items used by the south Indians. I will check if I get Ragi there. Ragi Powder is available in all supermarkets but not sure about Ragi grains. Will try to get it. In meantime, I am giving him oats, Pushungalarisi ganji, steamed apple etc. Anyways, your suggestions were very helpful. I have made whole lot of changes in the food items, timings based on your valuable suggestions and its showing good results on my baby. Thanks a lot Varloo.

Regards

Lakshmi.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear lakshmi,
    good that my experience was of some help to you. My paed told me to introduce the child to all types of food before it is 5 years old and then it willnot be a fussy eater. I folloed that and my son eats sensibly. Also give the baby mosambi or orange juice everyday in the afternoon. It has vitamin C and helps to build resstance to the baby. Even if the baby has cold, you can give this. Only keep the glass of juice in hot water and slightly make it warm and give it. Always give the child food items in room temperature or slightly warm. Do not give very cold items.Happy feeding.

8. Lakshmivinoth

ragi porrige

Hi Varloo

I bought Ragi Grains and I powdered it in the method told by you. My goodness...It gave a wonderful smell when I was grinding it...and the powder had a natural violet colour. My home was filled with the Ragi aroma When I was preparing the porrige. Ofcourse, My son loved it, But he is having very less quantity. He ate about 1/4 cup. To that matter, he is a poor eater. Even the best of the food he likes, he consumes max 1/4 cup. Hope he will increase the quantity of food intake slowly. Thanks for the recipe once again. I will include this recipe in his regular diet.

Regards

Lakshmi

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Lakshmi,
    glad that you liked the ragi. This was given to my son from the time he was 15 days old to increase his weight. His birth weight was 1.35 kg only, only bones and skin. You can add a dash of ghee, it will taste very good. Also slowly add well cooked and mashed apple, potato, carrot and any other veg. But try one at a time. And always remember, the baby might not eat many times. And chuthi podungo, daily in the evning. Even the mother's eye is bad for the child, my mother says like that.

10. seetha

seetha New IL'ite

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old infant

hi

my baby is 5 months old. my ped advised me to start ragi kanji.pls suggest me the method of preparation of ragi poder. my ped suggest me to prepare ragi kanji: ragi-1kg,fried grams-half kg, badam-100gms. fry it and make it as powder. boil it with water and add milk and sugar. is this method is ok. my baby is underweight so suggest me with high nutrition. and one more thing can baby weight increase if we give ragi kanji? how many times i have to give her ragi kanji? can i add i tsp ghee with that.
    thks in advance.
    regards,
    seetha