1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

Hi friends....

Very useful thread :) esp for all first time moms...

10am - BF
    12.30 - rice + dal + carrot/beans/potato
    2.30 - BF
    4.30 - Banana/apple/ any veggies
    6.30 -BF
    8.00 - Rasam with rice(specially prepared for her)
    10.00 BF

Just wanted to check a few things... does moong dal create gas in babies??

My DD is 7 months old... can I give my LO beetroot, peas, sapota or chikku??? I kind of confused on contradicting reviews.. Please suggest...

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi NJ
    Baby is still 7 months go slow first let the baby get adjusted to solid food slowly seeing response you can give in very small quantity... usually then you can assess what your baby can digest and what not ... Please note that each baby is unique so the best is your observation plus your Peds guidance will help you...

1 person likes this.
  3. Pisces12345

hI vjbunny,

Thank you for the advice... yeah I am thinking twice before I introduce new things to my LO.. my ped has told me to introduce all veggies (as puree) to the baby... but as you said I dont want to rush.. I have been introducing new food once a week or so,but she doesnt seem to enjoy anything other carrot, ragi porridge... so just wanted to try something else also. Do suggest your baby's favourite recipe may be my LO will love it too....

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@nj maybe your LO has taken a liking for sweet stuff? I have been giving peas right from when DD was 6 months old. I have also given beetroot and chikku when dd was 7 months old.

5. Pisces12345

@ramya.... yep, you are right she seems to like sweet stuff already... I try not to add any salt/sugar to her food (as my ped instructed). and :thumbsup thanks for the news I will try giving these to her... hopefully she develops a liking to them....:)

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.
  7. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

DS is 6 months old. When can I start adding ginger/cinnamon etc to his fruits? I do not want to add sugar and salt until he is a year old, so was looking at options to add flavors..

8. Pisces12345

Thank you for all your replies...., I just have one more doubt.... does moong dal create gas in babies?? I have heard contradicting reviews.. I just want to confirm if i can give her moong dhal with rice??

9. queenie3

queenie3 Silver IL'ite

NJ.... Koontz daal doesn't cause gas... it is urad daal that cause gas. I give dhuli Koontz daal to lo... and it is perfectly OK.

Ramya... peas???? Is it can we give....??? Frozen peas will do... or fresh only????
    and beetroot ... bean can also be given ...???
    Ho to make pumpkin ...????

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Tuliplady I did not give sugar to DD till she was 1 year old. I used dates as flavoring agent.
    I used to give DD gerber snacks when she was 6.5 months old. They contained cinnamon. So I guess it is ok to give cinnamon.

Add ginger in small amounts. Ginger may be spicy for LO's.

@NJ Any dal/lentil causes gas. Among the different dals i.e tuvar/masoor etc, moong dal is considered to be best to start with.

@queenie I get frozen peas mainly. So I have given frozen peas only. Beans can also be given at 6 months. Overcook pumpkin and mash it thoroughly. Pass it through sieve if required. For beets, I used to boil them well and mash it with spoon. But beware, the stools and urine would be red color. So dont get worried.

1 person likes this.