1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foodie Husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rums, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I need your help. My husband is a foodie and loves to eat all the time. Fried and unhealthy are his favorite. He has healthy problems and hates to exercise. I am on the other hand try to eat healthy. I have an infant who I am nursing. I manage to cook most of the days and some days I am extremely exhausted. He sometimes cooks too. The problem here is he always wants me to make variety meals, Fried unhealthy stuff which takes so much time. I think it's unhealthy for him and I have told him that million times. he is not bothered about his health at all. His doctor ahs also advised him to start eating healthy and exercise. he never listens. Because of his constant nagging I cook food according to his wish and I put on weight. How to solve this problem ...

Thanks

2. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

I have kind of similar problem, but my DH never put on weight, but I can easily, so I started cooking with olive oil, at least there is not much sat fat. now, he is aware of his health after watching his cholesterol level ( even though he is thin, he is having high cholesterol), then he started taking OMEGA-3 capsules, you can buy them anywhere it is a OTC medicine, you do not need prescription, OMEGA-3 is basically a fish oil capsule which helps to reduce cholesterol level, try to explain about cholesterol problems, how they effect to heart.

so, daily intake of 2-4 Omega-3 capsules and using olive oil can control little bit of cholesterol. finish dinner by 8.

for exercise part, if he doesn't like to exercise, buy a Wii game where you can exercise and play, you can use that too, or any how you have a small kid , go to a mall along with him and walk around at least 1 hr. for your part, you prepare food only for your husband right? during the day do not cook any rice for you, just get DOLE salad packets, open and sprinkle salt and lemon juice, and eat, it would take less time for you with the baby.

I know giving suggestion is very easy, but hard to follow, right? try your best, at least do not go for that food when he is not home. :thumbsup

3. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

All you can do is to make sure you are cooking healthy.
    Say you are busy with the baby and can't do deep fried stuff everyday. To begin with negotiate that you will do it only on saturday or sunday.
    More you talk about his health more he will tune you out and doesnot get the seriousness of it. So don't say anything.
    Switch to healthy oil like olive or canola for cooking.
    Keep swithching the menu every night.
    In my case Rice is culprit but H's doesnot want to eat chapathis every day even if he eats chapathi he will make sure to fill up the plate with plenty of rice later. So lately, I have changed menu. every night its different dish like, wheat dosa, ragi dosa, idli's, rava idli, chapathi and on Saturday he will get his rice.
    Read ShivChoubey's blogs here. She has many reciepes with less or no oil.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  4. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pinkpearls and ars.

Pinkpearls- I use olive oil and have Wii which I bought for him to exercise. He uses it sometimes. Also he hates shopping and malls. All he likes to do is watch TV or sit with his laptop.

ars - He is very picky about his food. he doesn't like wheat dosa, ragi dosa or anything that is healthy. I have tried Sat/Sun menu but that doesn't seems to work. We end up in fighting when I try make healthy foods.

I wish there is a way I could convince him to eat healthy

5. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

so, have you tried to convince him taking Omega-3 capsules?

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

he hates taking medications as well :))

7. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

Is that you giving reasons or him? I think these are all the suggestions you get from normal people, unless there is a wizard with a magic stick to change your husband's mind.

sorry, just kidding

you have tried everything and have all the answers ready, so let him realize on his own.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. grihasta

grihasta New IL'ite

You try to stay healthy by not gorging on those unhealthy foods. Make some simple healthy meals for yourself if you are worried about putting on weight.