1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food to be given to 2.2 year old during fever

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by shobanaj, Mar 12, 2008.

1. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

Indus ladies,

My son is having fever and cold. He is not eating anything but just drinking milk. What is the food that the kids would like when they are sick?

Please suggest.

Thanks
    Shobana.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Shobana,

I am sure we can all relate to your anxiety dear. But dont worry he will be fine soon .
    Generally it is good to keep them on a liquid diet during fever. If the fever is accompanied by cold then children do not feel like eating you know they feel everything very insipid and tasteless.
    Let him/her be. Dont force. Once the fever subsides there will definitely be a demand for food. Dont worry about pulling down or becoming thin , Even if they do not eat it will not majorly affect their health and even if they do pull down , they will again it just as instantly.
    Try to give warm soups , or Rasam(nothing spicy). Your peadiatrician must have given you a list of do and don'ts. You could always demand it from him.I am sure your kiddo will bounce back soon enough.

Take care,

Devika

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Shobana, As Devika says they don't feel like eating because of the phlegm and cough. Important is to keep them hydrated... diluted juice, milk. Try rasam rice, mashed thoroughly or bread but don't force. If you want to give fruits, just check with the doctor which ones should be avoided. Once my son had constipation while having cold and I gave him banana. That aggravated his cold and fever! As I reply my boy is also (3 yr old) suffering from severe cough. Y'day he didn't eat anything. Today his fever has reduced and he ate rasam rice himself. Latha

4. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

Appreciate your time Latha / Devika.

My sons fever over but cold is still there. Am giving Ginger juice (1 sangu) + honey 1 tsp. Let me see whether this works out for him.

Thanks
    Shobana

1 person likes this.