1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food that adds healthy weight

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sowraj, May 10, 2011.

1. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

My LO is completed 8 mo now and she is at the lower end in the weight graph also looks skinny, though the doctor says its perfectly fine and I am also convinced that its okay to be on the lower side of the weight range, Still i would like to know to know if i can improve on the food that i give her.

her schedule is roughly this...
    morning rice+daal+veggies(potato and carrot mostly)+lil ghee all together a bowl that will keep her good for 3-4 hours
    raagi with multigrain + milk porridge a bowl that will keep her good for 2 hours
    Fruits like banana apple chikku ets that will keep her good for 1-2 hours
    Cerelac 1.5 scoop that will keep her good for 1-2 hours
    Rest of time BM

Inbetween she has water, here and there few bites of biscuit
    Sometimes we replace one of the above with idly... once in a while not daily give her few sppons of curd or juice of orange

Can you suggest the changes so it will help her putting on good weight

Should i include curd on daily basis, more of ghee etc... please help

2. marina20

marina20 Bronze IL'ite

Sowmya..introduce some formula (nan is good) specially during day time. Formula tends to make babies put on weight ...anyway it will not harm her in anyway..btw how much does she weigh??

do u give cerelac wheat/rice...if rice then 1.5 scoops seems less to me.

otherwise i find this diet has most variety, my LO do not eay half of wht is there in this menu.

3. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

I have not given her any formula so far... i thought she can be without it as i started solids after exclusive BF..
    so i dont want to miss something i can give her

she has wheat honey or wheat apple..

she has varieties but which of these add weight i dont knw..

she weighs close to 8kg... it might be okay but she looks skinny and vryone around compares her with other babies and when they lift her they say she is so weightless...but acording to doc she is perfctly fine, good weight and good diet and its good to not have more weight.. i prefer giving hwe more veggies doc says they dont add weight but they are good..

4. Swashika

Swashika Silver IL'ite

hi sowraj ....

ur diet is good... u dont have to start formula milk if ur BF.... thats more than enough....

if ur a NVegetarian include egg in ur diet... thats really good for health...

u can also include some soups... Vegetables or chicken soups... that will be nutritious...

if u wish to give her some nice tastes u can try rava upma or ven pongal...

5. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the reply... we are veg so cant give that but egg i am thinking of including...

i was told veg soups etc dont add weight... so I am looking at something that will help her put some weight...

otherwise I know she is perfectly fine...

6. september

september Bronze IL'ite

sowmya ,

is you think she needs to look lil more plump , then only way is to add formula or give her more cerelac
    sugar tends to make kids look plump , though the weight remains almost the same ...
    but adding sugar in large amount is not recommended. you know why .

one more thing about formula or baby food is that these are usually fortified with VITAMIN D , and esp in this part of the world kids are not exposed to sunlight ... so these are the only ways a kid can get VITAMIN D .

what was her birth weight ?

7. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

I get your point.. Yes will be happier to see her plump but still if she is having good weight its fine for me.. cos most of them who carry her tell she is so light for 8 mo...

she was 3.2 at birth

8. september

september Bronze IL'ite

sowmya ,
    i understand your concern .
    just see to it that she doesnt drop down below the correct weight range .
    food rich in proteins also will help her put more muscle mass ... eggs , cheese , curd, all should help .
    some kids are by genetics skinny and may remain underweight for certain time .
    Depends on the built of parents too ...