1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Food products preferred in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Jithiks, Apr 7, 2009.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Uma, can you post the tomato thokku recipe used canned tomato sauce/puree.

I am running out of thokku/pickles etc.

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Kirthi, I'm sorry to steal your thread for posting this recipe here.

Chaaral, I season mustard in nallennai (gingelly oil), add canned tomatoes, add chilly powder, turmeric powder and perungaayam. Let it cook until close to dry or oil oozes out. Now add salt and dry roasted and powdered methi seeds (it gives the actual aroma of a pickle). You can mix this thokku with rice or have a side dish for dosai, chapathi, idli etc or as a spread for sandwich and masala dosai.

-Uma

1 person likes this.
  3. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Hi krithika,

this is a very good thread. quite useful.

Hey uma, thank you for recipe of tomato thokku. I do make thokku, but with fresh tomatoes, now i will try ur method.

"Does anyboyd makes yogurt at home here in NJ" I tried making but in vain.???? I buy "NAtural Dahi" from patel store.

For snacks for children i buy
    Pretzel
    Rice Crackers
    NAturall Valley oats and mixed crackers. Zone bars.

Can anyone suggest some more????

Kirthika can you suggest some recipe for wrap stuffings??

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Very informative thread. I will be reading and taking note before my next grocery shopping:thumbsup

I recently picked up tamarind Chutney of Swad brand it was not good. Any other brand suggestions? Thanks

5. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Costco is now carrying "Veggie Patch" brand "Falafel" in their deli section. You can freeze it for upto 2 months or refrigerate and consume within the date in the pack. It comes as a double pack ($9.99).

-Uma

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Radhika,

Thanks!

Here is the method for making curd at home..we can boil milk in MW or stove top.

I've given step by step pics with description for both methods in the thread below..I've given the links for the same..

(1) Boiling milk in MW

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...553-yogurt-curd-do-you-make-3.html#post384958

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...553-yogurt-curd-do-you-make-3.html#post384961

(2) Boiling milk on stove top

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...553-yogurt-curd-do-you-make-3.html#post384961

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...553-yogurt-curd-do-you-make-5.html#post387059

Cheers

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Radhika,

As for veggie wraps..there are endless options..here are a few ...

(1) Using the canned refried beans from Trader Joe's (it is a blue can and says vegan on that..it does not contain lard).
    First we need to mw the tortillla for 20secs covering it with wet paper towel. Then heat the beans, then add chopped lettuce,tomatoes,hot sauce, jalapeno slices and taco cheese, again mw for 50-60secs and it is ready.(of course salt &pepper for taste)
    (2) Saute onions and bell pepper..this we can alternate using different colored bell peppers. For spice we can add chili powder or pepper and salt to taste.
    (3) Eternal favourite potato. This we can pressure cook, mash and use it with carrots and peas. Or we can chop the raw potatoes, mw it for a few mins and saute with onions and tomatoes. As for spices, we can add cumin powder, dhaniya powder or keep it simple with just pepper powder or chili powder.
    (4) We can use the different beans available like red beans, pinto beans or black beans. These can be cooked before hand or use canned beans. Again as before these can be sauted with onions and tomatoes/just onions/or you can saute the beans with your favourite veggies and use for the wrap.
    (5) we can also make a plain salad wrap with lettuce,tomatoes,cucumber,olives,jalapeno peppers etc.
    These can be changed with any fruits/nuts of your choice to make it more tasty/interesting. Avacadoes can also be added to any of the above chopped or made into a paste.

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Also hummus/sour cream/tsatziki/guacamole/corn/pudina chutney/peanut butter/grapes etc can be added to give some more texture to the wrap..

1 person likes this.
  9. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

1)costco is carrying rotyland roties, each pk has 72 roties(i think its $7 something)
    2)tomato bell peppper soup -TJ(trader joe's-each one $2.49)
    3) egg plant hummus, spicy hummus and hazelnut hummus-TJ(each one $2.49)
    4)baby potatoes-its available in vegitable section. my kids like these ones when i bake it:)-again from TJ
    5)grape juice-costco(no sugars added, forgot company name)
    6)roasted unsalted edamamme seeds-TJ
    7)frozen whole edamamme-costco(forgot price). its taste good when its boiled

10. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

handmade tomato tortillas-Trader joes(TJ)
    guacamole-costco and TJ
    stir fry veggies-costco or organic veggies like bell peppers, olives, mustrooms, black beans

i can make the burritos with the items above.