1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Food preparations for Camping

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Dewdrop, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

We are 3 families going on a 3 night camp to a nearby park. While the other 2 families are bringing the tents/tools/firewood/stove/water/playthings-toys & other necessary camp supplies I'm in charge of the food items....:bonk. As they are bringing a propane stove, I can cook there but not elaborately as then can't enjoy the park . Though our family is fine with bread/jam or even omelette for the kids -- the others are strict haters of bread/bun/eggs. Also can't use canned rajma or anything canned as some members have allergy issues. So far have come up with just one idea..:hide:.. of roasting rava with the tempering & taking in ziploc -- there I can boil water & just make upma. But like this I have to come up with veg.meal plan for 3 more days breakfast, lunch & dinner ....:spin... so ladies, please I am desperate for ideas.

What else can I pre-prepare at home & cook there ?
    Will chapathis last 3 days ? If so, how to store them to retain softness ?
    Can I take some dosa batter -- will it become too sour/smelly ?
    What other items will last at least 2 days ?
    In my list I've included fruits, vegs. which can be chopped for salads, and snacks like cookies,chips, popcorn twists, pretzels etc. Any other snack options ?
    Can you please post any other suggestions & meal plans ?

Thanks,
    Divya.

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dewdrop,

Camping......:wow:wow

How about

Quick cooking Pastas and store bought pasta sauce in small containers.......

Quacker multi-grain cereal / oats...can add some chopped carrots, green peas etc and season it into a whole some soup.......

MTR Ready to eat gravies and ready to eat Naans......

Maggi..........

Shall come back if I get some more ideas.....

Have fun......:thumbsup

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I am having a hard time figuring out why they can't eat canned items if it is just beans, water and salt in the can. Can they eat organic canned items? Canned food is a real lifesaver when camping.

I used to camp years ago....I would suggest you take one or two pressure cookers and just do some pressure cooker recipes. The camp stove is not going to be very different than the stoves used in India commonly. I would not even consider chappatis...you will have enough to do. Just get the store ones and be done with it.

You could do some recipe with macaroni...that is easy to boil. Jarred spaghetti sauce. Cheese. Most campsites have grills that you use with charcoal or wood....nonveg koftas would be tasty.

Take some flasks so you can fill with hot coffee or tea....

Dried fruits. Hummus. Curd. Cottage cheese (the western one). Paneer. A pulao with panner and veg in the pressure cooker? Peanut butter.

When camping, you will be running around outside and this time of year the weather will be getting more chilly in evening so you will burn a lot of calories so eat accordingly: your caloric intake will be higher.

4. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Thanks Bhargavi.
    Yes pasta & soup I'll add to my list, but I'll be making the sauce. 2 kids in the group cannot eat store-bought - their allergic to some preservative & some E-series colouring agent or something, so their mum cooks everything from scratch for them . So, no maggi too -- though we love it :)

5. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Thanks Tina.
    The younger kids in the group cannot tolerate the tin/nickel whatever metal those containers are made of + they also react to the preservatives in ready-to-eat food. Hence, the need to cook from scratch.

Mac & cheese -- another yummy idea :) Will add flask also -- I forgot actually.
    Yes, pressure cooker seems a good idea to make one-pot-meals like the pulao you mentioned -- but mine is a huge one 7 litres !!!! I will ask the other ladies if they have a smaller version which we can use.

Chapathis I mentioned not for making there -- but can I make at home & store it for 3 days, so that just the subji I can cook there ?

6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How about,
    Bisibele baath, Pongal, Kichidi, Puliodharai ( Tamarind rice), Lemon rice, Coconut rice,......Tina's mention of Pressure cooker reminded me of these......
    Just get the bisibela masala powder / Puliodaharai powder / Pulikaachal ground at home/ store bought......

7. kirthi82

kirthi82 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    You can buy half cooked Chappathi and just toast it before serving.
    You can make tomato chutney ..just boil tomato,red chilli,garlic in water.peel the tomato and grind without water with other ingredients salt,red chilli and garlic.in ka dai,add more oil and fry this till oil oozes out.transfer this to air tight container.it will last for one week .
    Pasta and pasta sauce is good idea.
    You make tomato pulav,veg rice.
    Bread n jam
    Oatmeal
    Preparing variety rice is best for large quantity.
    Lemon rice and chips
    Fruits
    You can get cooling bag and store chutney or curd.

8. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

We went for camping 2 times this year.here are some suggestions
    Buy a cooler (big size for 20$) from walmart and fill with ice. You can keeep the perishables like Milk,egg,dosa batter, chappathis, tomato thokku etc in it and will stay for 3 days.
    Take utensils like pan, cooker,spoons,laddles etc for cooking.

BF
    Maggie
    Upma- like you mentioned.
    Dosa- You can carry dosa batter in the cooler with pre-made tomato thokku.
    wheat dosa (take wheat flour and mix with water) with dosa podi.

lunch/dinner- variety rice like tamirand rice, lemon rice, pepper rice, simple pulavs,mixed veggie rice (can take a packet of mixed veggis in cooler) , readymade rotis with yogurt and pickel.
    pasta with readymade pasta sauce
    even some readymade curries/mixes from Indian stores.

Make it simple dont overdoo with elaborate cooking which involves cutting/cleaning.
    have fun and enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One more thing:
    You need to think about cleanup of the dishes and probably will be doing that under some outside tap. Take some rubber gloves and either use disposable plates (which I hate but there is a time) or if you have the steel plates take those. I used to take the steel wool soap pads (eg Brillo) and use them for washing most stuff....easy and effective and it biodegrades. Just throw out.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Never camped..ever in my life :) Do please share your camping experiences; food and other aspects here.. for the novice "campers"...
    Thanks
    Nitha