1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food habbits of Toddler

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Rarey, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi IL's

My son is 3 yrs old. Since I am working I have not take care of him much regarding food habbits. We are living with in-laws and they are also aged.
    I haven't introduced any new kind of foods to him.. I can't blame my in-laws too..
    Just normal foods only..For that also I am struggling with him now. At below one year we gave mashed carrot daily. but after that he didn't like that. He not even taking boiled potatos.
    I am so much worried about him. He is not taking spicy things like chuttnies for idli and dosas.. only jam and lassi..
    Please suggest me how to change his food habbits.. Or is it normal at this stage..
    What kind of foods will they like at these stage..

Thanks.

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Rarey: My son is too 3 years old, he is not fussy about food (god's grace) but he cannot eat spicy food.

My spice levels are way way too less than what my MIL or my mother or anyone in the family cook. My DH cannot eat spicy so me toned down my spice levels.

I am not too much worried if he would not take chutneys for idlis or dosa. as long as he eats idlis, dosas, anything without fuss, just go with the flow.

Slowly try and introduce very little spice levels.

Make sure he gets a nutritious meal

3. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi ptamil,

Thanks for your first feedback..The fact is he is taking chicken and fish though they are little bit spicy... but not taking other things..I think he is feeling bored of my food.:bonk
    I haven't introduce veggies too.. I have missed everything when he was 2 Years old. At that time itself I would have tried veggies.. What to do now..

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  4. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Hi Rarey,

Its not too late.. You can even start now slowly introducing it one by one... and at very small amounts...

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear...i am almost in a same state as yours..even i do want to try new items for my LO but unable to due to lack of time...hence i do something different on the weekends...

there is no time that you have lost...leave behind the past and dont think about them
    there are many recepies for kids in IL kids food section,keep trying them for your kid.....

try to make food that your LO likes when you are available at home...

reagrding spicy things,as others say as long as your LO is eating healthy foods,dont worry about spicy ones now...taste differs....let him take his own time exploring different tastes....

All the Best!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi Swaran n Priya,

Thanks for your consoling words. Have to forget the past and will slowly introduce new food items when I will be in home. But I don't know he will be ready to take.
    One of my friend told after going to school they will start eating properly.. Let us see.

Thanks.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Rarey: As others have said, it is not too late.
    The reason it is better to start early is because at 2, the taste buds will not have developed much, so the kids will eat whatever we give them :idea
    But after 3, all the 'No's and pushing away and favorite foods start

Make a schedule of one new vegetable per week - you can start by making a soup of that vegetable first then move on to making those veggies normally

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,

One idea is too add veg to your CHicken and fish dishes, Mash them well with Rice and curry and feed him.

I add many vegetables to Dal and mash it well with the rice , No chunks and it is easier for the kid to eat it.

You can also make use the chicken/fish gravy recipe with Veg and see if he eats it.

Pav Bhaji is a good option to try with kids...It has many veg but well boiled and mashed. With Pav it looks different than regular foods and you kid may try it.

9. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi ptamil,

I started with boiled potato and it worked.. He likes to eat boiled potato.. but no added spices.. Anyway Thank god and thank you very much.
    Have to include one by one.

10. Rarey

Rarey New IL'ite

Hi armummy,

Nice idea!!! adding veggies to chicken.. Have to try. But whether it affects chicken taste.?