1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

food for baby who gets constipated easily

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Mar 18, 2010.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

oats in khichdi sindhu?? interesting. how does oats taste with dhal?

am just deciding on the food to start this week for Adi; thinking of oats or rice.. this is a good input. thnx

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

she has been only bfed and after the poop explosion that day czuse on prune juice, no poop for 3 days now.... maybs just that she doesnt want to poop like she used to before? she doesnt necessarily seem to be in any sort of discomfort xcept for passing gas.
    now i am confused whether i should wait for poop to come for few more days , or reintroduce solids again :(
    we bought gerber prunes and pears for her.... i am worried to give her sweet potato too... is that constipating as well?

sindhu, by beans do u mean french beans? and can spinach be given this early?

how do u make this oats khichdi?

3. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Poonam

Try taking a pinch of asafoetida( hing) and mix it with a drop of water and put it on her navel. This is very effective home remedy. Try Catch band its good. Also you can try Bonnisan drops from Himalaya they are very good for constipation.

On Spinach I think you should wait for some more time

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Poonam, Riya used to get constipated too, not as often but she did. I always gave her raisin water, almost everyday and it kept the bowel movement going for her.

And the other thing that was a huge part of Riya's diet was khichdi, with mixed veggies and spinach with dahi added to it. I would add a litte ghee on top. Worked wonders.

Okay, just realized that Zoey is only 5 months old, so I am not sure about all these diet ideas I just gave. We didn't start Riya on solids until she was 10 months old so I am not sure how a 5 month old baby would react to these foods.

Raj

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Asha, oats khichdi is just mix oats, daal and a veggie with water in pressure cooker and when well cooked mash with a fork. I started V with rice cereal and he instantly became constipated so we moved to oatmeal. Now he is fine with regular rice.

Poonam, I meant regular green beans. Since Z is only 5 months, it may be best to hold off on spinach. I think I started with spinach around 8 months. What banana did you try? Was it the Gerber jar? I ask because the Indian bananas (poovampazham in tamil) are supposedly non-constipating, the bananas we get here are constipating, for some reason. Papaya is also good, but I don't know if it can be given at 5 months.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Asha, Oats kichdi is my fav food. I do have a lot of reflux issues myself and find that very soothing on my tummy.

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

day 4 and no poop.... starting to worry me now.
    she is off solids since a while, and now that she is 5 1/2 months old i thought might as well just wait for another 2 wks to start solids....
    but now that she is only EBF, no poop still ? i know bfed babies can go without pooping for over a wk but she used to always have BM atleast every 2-3 days... never had it everyday though.

she grunts a lot, but i am thinking maybe she has just got into the habit of grunting? doesnt show any signs of pain as such....

should i be giving her raisin water/prune juice... as such even if she is EBF?

8. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Poonam,

Please DO NOT give spinach to Z....my cousin's DD was given spinach when she was 7 months, which resulted in severe diarrhea and ended up in hospitalization.

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

padmini, this post was 2 months old.... and nope not given spinach so far. but i dont think spinach can be the cause of severe diarrhoea....
    to warrant hospitalization, but dunno!could be one food suiting one baby would not suit another ..like for eg my DD didnt do well with rice until she turned 6 months, and ur baby is doing well at 5.5 months.. so :)

now Z at 7 months eats everything without constipation or loose stool issues.... :)

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi poonam,

i understand this is a very old thread but still wanted to share this info with all.

Sure spinach can be a big factor for diarrhoea if

1.Not cooked fully

2.Not cleaned well

3.Includes and infected leaves or stems

4.Generally greens takes time to digest.So it is always better to avoid greens for dinner. While having it in a lunch or snack too we must give enough time for digestion and then sleep or workout.