1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food for 1 month old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by roopanair123, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Welcome to motherhood and to the world of well-meaning but interfering relatives :) Put your foot down and be firm, I don't think you stand a chance on "convincing" elders - they think that these are all newfangled ideas.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Roopa, I am also from Kerala and my mom is here now. She has also been insisting since 28th day. I told her we will think about it after 90 days and she agreed. When Laya crossed her 90 days, I told her we will do it after the 5th month, anyway we will be in Kerala then for vacation. I tried to convince her telling exactly what Nitha suggested that the 'doctor told so'. I showed my amma all her weight charts and she is actually convinced now that additional food is not necessary during these first months.

I have challenged most of the interferences by my mom, but many a times I have realised later that she did have a point. Her support during these initial months cannot be explained in words. I do give in to most of her suggestions these days.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

roopa, others have all guided you correctly... i am sure there are traditions and people do follow them. end of the day it should be your call as to whats good for the baby... try and convince them and avoid soilds for a few more months... i guess 5 months should be a good time :)
    your baby is too young for anything other than BM or FM.... also you might seem she is hungry all the time, but if u have a good milk supply, you shouldnt be worrying. say even if u dont have a very good milk supply, this is her way to boost it up... as u must know breastmilk is a demand and supply thing!
    good luck new mommie

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Roopa - I agree with the other replies.
    Pla give only BM or formula until atleast 5 months (6 months is best). If ur baby is wetting enough diapers and is gaining weight normally, there is no need to worry. Also, there will be growth spurts when baby will feed more. Don't worry.

My MIL has been forcing me to give supplements from 2 months onwards, but I have successfully avoided until 4 months. I plan to introduce solids only after 1 or 2 months.

5. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi Roopa,

Please don't give your baby any food now.. Exclusively breast feed him if you have enough supply or formula till 6 months..

My son used to act very irritated during the initial days.. sometime crying , not sleeping well and all...

Sometimes his nose gets blocked and that was the problem...
    Babies only knows to breath through their nose which results in crying n all....

Talk to your pediatrician..

All the best

Ansu:)

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am not from Kerala, but my husband's grandmother is... She was telling me that they also give sagoo at 28 days as part of a ritual, but she was so wonderfully supportive of me bfing. When she was talking about what all is fed to a child in the name of tradition/ritual, my jaw was hanging way down there... But she said, even when her daughter was feeding her children, she saw that the rules had changed, and when her son and daughter-in-law decided to not start weaning till at least 6 months, she said she understood how science has evolved and how what we do should meet the needs of the child. She rocks!