1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Following Untouchability? Here I am....Ancient Experiences in Modern Times

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by drnamshara, Sep 10, 2014.

1. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Buaahhhhh...You need to be given the Nobel price for putting up with this total BULLS****.
    OP, you are an educated strong human being. WHY do you let her do this? I am sure it turns ugly, but you should have spoken up. Tell her that periods is as natural as peeing and bowel. As natural as digestion and respiration. Totally something that is controlled by the body and a girl is not impure during this time..AAARRGGGHHHHHHHHH..Reading this whole charade gave me a blood pressure spike. I wonder how you went through all of this!!!

5 people like this.
  2. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Your mil should be given a nobel prize for her doings..but wait whaatsmileyyou also do deserve at least a bharat ratna for following such stupidies.Gosh please grow up and take control.

5 people like this.
  3. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

Man...seriously but have people just lost it??? If the MIL is such a weirdo to go such stuff...she clearly is in the wrong generation or is looking to put her DIL through the same misery as what she has been through ...through her "period years"! That according to me is just complete sadism.

With regards to the hubby being on the same mode, all I can say is that education has done no good at all! Seriously....was everyone sleeping through biology class in school and college? Period is just a part of a female anatomy (sadly men do not have the opportunity to go through this pain in life!)...it sure isn't a license for guy to go crazy and leave his brains elsewhere! Most women go through pain during this window of 2 -3 days and is typically the time when they need the most support ...physically and mentally!

Personally I would take this a step further, a guy who accepts an even has relations with a woman during this window, is actually the one who is most supportive (scientifically proven that having sex in the window reduces the pain considerably!!!!) and really loves his woman ...supporting her through thick and thin!

Even if MILs are so, what ever went wrong with the women to question that? Hmmm endure that pain and then become angry and cynical and then do the same to the next generation!!! Seriously stand up for yourself....either move away from your in laws or educate your husband to stand up a touch more!

Married life is about sharing and caring through the good, bad, tough and pain...not just the happy moments and blissful sex! And more over...without the period happening regularly....there is no way the next generation is going to happen ;)

6 people like this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

This just shows how much control your IL’s have on your DH, if I were you I would have given your DH an ultimatum; if your DH does not fix this nonsense you and your DH should move out and find your own place so that you can live by your rules.

On a lighter note your MIL has good future on writing quarantine rules for infectious disease.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Well Said !!!

6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

i like ur approach and strongly recommend it! :iagree

2 people like this.
  7. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

Dear OP, its a very serious situation u are going through which u have mentioned in your post, but u have a great sense of humour too, to make it such a fun read. :) I was actually laughing at many parts of your post !
    I dont enter the pooja room during that time, but this is what i do with my own wish, nobody has told or forced me to do it or set any rules for me.

I will tell u an interesting incident which had happened in my life. My co sis had come to visit me once, and she suddenly started shouting my name and was calling from the bathroom. I was very worried and rushed to her, hoping the bathroom floor was not very slipery, and hoped she had not fallen and broken her bones. When i reached her, i tried to catch a breath and asked her what was the matter, she very slowly whispered, that her periods had started, and asked me to give her her dress but not to touch her while doing so. She told me to just put it on the floor in front of the bathroom door, and she would take it from there. I said ok, went and got her dress, came back to where she was waiting for me, and within a sec ran and hugged her, singing along, "baahon mein aa soniye, bas ek raat ke liye!" :rotfl

You cannot imagine the way she started howling in shock, as if the israel palestine issue had a fresh set of bomb attacks. Hahahaha ! Need i say that i was laughing loudly while she was in shock. I told her not to worry, as all ' the paap' will come to me, because i was the one who touched her ( hugged her rather) and not the other way round. :biggrin2:

I seriously feel that we should not pass stupid believes in the name of culture to the next generation. I wont teach this non sence to my baby, u dont teach yours too, and so all the rest. Then only the next generation of india will be a happier lot and blossom like beautiful flowers.

2 people like this.
  8. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Without kurkure or lays, your posts was a good time pass, many lites have posted the right things in their own humorous way, had pleasure reading it :) so that atleast reading it we must grow up, never follow such things or pass on to next gen kids.

Periods is still not announced in mike by your mil, only that part is left else all that she could do in the name of tradition, culture she did it. :bonk
    Break the rules:boo:. Actually during our periods scientifically the blood that we loss is all the impurities from our body, this periods is one big reason why women gets very less percentage of heart attack as the impure blood is lost in this way.. This is saving us in all means, we must not ill treat it instead of looking it as a curse, its the biggest blessing for all women that god had bestowed..

Its a feminine subject, enjoy it. :cool2:..

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OMG! OP, looks like you and a friend of mine share the same MIL! She can't even touch her own kids, has to be in a room by herself, separate plate/cup and all the other shenanigans you mentioned. She follows it religiously even though they don't live with in-laws! That's how much her hubby follows it. She doesn't cook/get out of that room except for loo visits. I'd never heard of anybody so orthodox prior to that. I felt bad for my friend. She was ok with it until her DD hit puberty. Now she is trying to fight it but her hubby doesn't budge. I think you can forget the mil but focus on the hubby and get him to get out of it sooner. I loved Anamika's idea, btw!
    In my case, my mil asked me once to get in through the back door and not sit on the couch since the priest was home. After that one instance, I've never got my chums when I visit ;) I just use Tampax and flush it down the toilet and behave like normal. My take on the pandit is that why is he visiting a house and sitting on a couch when he knows there is a young woman in that house who may have gotten a period and sat on the couch since she paid for it with her own salary!!!!

5 people like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP

Hard to believe that you are a young medical doctor. It is such a shame that you accept this abusive life conveniently.

If I were you, I would simply tell my MIL that I can not follow such stupid custom. Period.
    You are treated as if you have caught Ebola or something. It is not fair.
    More so, it is a shame to be announced about your monthly cycles to everyone at home.

In ancient days, women did not have sanitary pads. Those naturally available pads such as cloths, leaves etc..etc.. could not absorb the blood as the way our current pads do. So, obviously with heavy bleeding those women leaked.

It is unfair to walk while leaking bloods, and spreading the dirt all over the home. So, they were asked to sit at one particular place and wash out the place once they are done with their periods. Fair enough.

Similarly, there were no attached bathrooms with shower and toilet facilities then. So, those women bathed in ponds and rivers as groups. Imagine if someone with period-heavy bleeding bathes in a pond or river. It will be awkward right? So, obviously they were advised not to take bath during those days.

Untouchability concept also came because of this impurity. When there are no proper pads available, it would be extremely hard to maintain a clean home if the person with AF is allowed to walk and touch everything.
    Imagine how dirt it would be if there are blood spots in the sofa, kitchen floor, bed, bed sheets, dining room etc..etc...
    Imagine how bad it will be?

Similarly, there were no pain killers available then. Further, women were not going out for work, that too with a strict 9-5 working time (including travel time). So they conveniently took rest at least in those 3 days in the name of untouchability.

But all were the customs of ancient days, because they had no proper absorbing pads, no bathrooms, no proper toilets etc..etc... So their custom made some sense.

But as a woman of today, I am sure that I can use good sanitary napkins, and roam all over the house without dirtying my sofa or floor. I can travel, work and do cooking at home albeit the body pains. Because as a woman of today, I am facing a lot more pains than this simple pain to rest. Further, I have pain killers if the pain is unbearable.

I have a washroom, where I can comfortably bath and clean the floor if some red spots happen to appear there. I have enough bathroom cleaners at home for this purpose. We dont bath in the ponds anymore.
    So, I bath and even take head bath as appropriate. After all AF is not a sickness, not a sin, but a woman's regular cycle. As a doctor don't you know that?

Rebel against those unwanted customs. Do not wait until someone come for salvation. Do that for yourself.

11 people like this.