Flying Via Emirates

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sneha1985, Dec 17, 2019.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Anyone recently flew via Emirates? My parents are joining me to US for 6 months and this is the first time we will be flying via Emirates. I was reading that they have strict carry-on policy and that they weigh carry-on bags at Dubai airport. Our first flight is from India-Dubai and then Dubai-USA.

In economy, they are just allowing one bag for carry on and total should be 7 kgs. Am worried since just my laptop, chargers and important documents is ending up to be 7 kgs. Am not able to add any extra set of clothes or even couple of snacks.

Anyone have any experience with Emirates?

2. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Yes, Emirates are strict with carry on luggage. But laptop bags and handbags are not counted as carry ons. You can take one carry on luggage upto 7kg and one laptop bag or handbag. If you can take your laptop in its bag then you can free up weight in your carry on luggage for other things.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  3. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

My ticket says either a duffel type bag/purse or laptop bag as carry on. They have now introduced new rule where a pax can take only one bag onboard along with them.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I have not personally had the experience under the new rules. But they check and hassle people who look like they could hassle. Brown, old people from the 3rd world. That airline should be avoided the next time. Go with Quatar.
    Anyhow...you are allowed to wear as many layers of clothing as your modesty can withstand. After all, you are in Arab territory. Wear whatever that is in your carry-on luggage. Once you are in the airplane, go to the bathroom and take off the layers and pack your carry on within the airplane. That could solve your problem. Just keep things under 15 pounds when you check in.
    Good luck. And....well.... safe travels.

Thyagarajan and sneha1985 like this.
  5. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Thanks @Amulet

I flew on Friday via Emirates and they now allow only one carry-on in economy and are strict with weight too. They are ok with additional 500gms or so, but not beyond that. Luckily I was flying with my parents, so I could divide the carry-on weight, but incase if it was just me than it would have been difficult. Just my 2 laptops (work and personal) is beyond 7 kgs + important immigration and personal docs on top of that. Incase if your bag is overweight, they charge an insane amount of $$ per kilo.

They check everything again at Dubai airport too. Overall the flight, service and food is good, but I might avoid it due to weight restrictions. Also incase if you miss type your name on the ticket, they charge $30 for correction and they don't correct it in the same itinerary. They cancel the ticket and reissue it again and once that is done, you have to select the seats and meal again.

Chocolatey likes this.
  6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

What has skin color got to do with this ?
    I don’t know how you get away with writing the most inappropriate of things all the time.

shravs3 and ragzz like this.
  7. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

Only a few get the hang of it quickly, and out of that only one or two bother to protest. Hence the brazen posts. Skin color now, don't know what next. I guess dip-it-in-humor gives the license to be brazen?

SinghManisha and shravs3 like this.
  8. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

@sneha1985 - curious to know if you have heard if other airlines are more lenient? Which are they? Will be useful to know.

sneha1985 and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Heard AirIndia is good too. Recently I know someone who travelled and they were happy about it. And even the food is good. Only problem is if you are from south India you need to change flights either in Delhi or Mumbai and after that it’s a direct flight to US.
    Very helpful to senior citizens.

Baggage policy looks better as well.

USA Canada Checked Baggage Allowances

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    sneha1985 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I read "Brown, old people from the 3rd world" as a description of a category of people the airlines check-in staff think as easy to hassle. Maybe you are brown and old and have been hassled, or you travel a lot and have seen that category hassled more. I fail to see anything inappropriate with "brown" or "old" or "from the 3rd world" or those three put together. It is like "white, old people from the coastal Florida towns." Skin has color and unfortunately customer service and how strictly they enforce rules can depend on one's skin color. What's wrong with stating that.