Flying from US to Chennai when 16 weeks Pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by priyaindusladie, Jul 11, 2015.

1. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Hello All,

I'm in a family emergency and I would be travelling from US to Chennai ( may be 1 transition flight to UAE ) with my 8 yr old son. I am 16 weeks pregnant. Have plans to return back to US in 2 - 3 weeks timeframe. My Gynaec told its no risk to travel in 2nd trimester. Planning to take a health check-up before flying.
    1) Have anyone have faced similar situation before. Flying while pregnant and return in 2 - 3 weeks time frame. If so , pl share your experience about how you managed the situation.
    2) I did my googling and it says no risk in travelling while pregnant in second trimester. But it's my unknown fear that's stressing me out.
    3) My Gyne said its no risk in flying while pregnant in second trimester. Advise to drink more water , and walk every few hours. Is that all enough ?
    4) I'm planning to take a copy of all my medical records. What food will u recommend to carry.
    I'm really scared and worried about this travel :roll:,:cry: but I cannot avoid this. So pl pl ladies give me some positive words and spirits.
    I trust your every single word...

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Relax! If your pregnancy is low-risk (and it is if your Ob/GYN is fine with long distance travel), there is no reason to worry. I just posted my second pregnancy tips today:
    second or subsequent pregnancy (you can check this out).

I traveled a lot during this pregnancy- 2 international and 5 domestic (coast to coast) flights. My flight to Australia from US was in first trimester and I was there only for 10 days. I went to India for 3 weeks in 2nd trimester.

1.Drink plenty of water. Keep healthy snacks with you. I like either almonds or trail mix.
    2. Get compression socks. You can find these in any drug store. If possible, get an aisle seat and walk every few hours.
    3. Wear comfortable clothing (avoid tight jeans) and shoes (flats with side elastic are best).
    4. Take your prenatal and tylenol with you.
    5. Take copy of your medical records.

You can lift the bags and all. Don't worry about luggage. Stay hydrated and eat frequently.

Have fun! Yes, this is all.

1 person likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP

I have had similar experience but it was long back... I flew from US to Chennai too. I can try to share what I remember

1. in flight keep moving around. don't sit for long. keep drinking lots of fluids and carry disinfecting wipes/hand sanitizer (you know why).
    2. Be careful with what you eat. always go for fresh home cooked food and boiled/bottled water.
    3. Carry medicines whatever is needed. stock up on healthy food supplies like dates, dry fruits, nuts, granola bars etc.
    4. usually fruits like oranges/sathukudi/ilaneer/pomegranate etc. where you can throw the peel is safe. with other fruits discard the skin like in the case of apple.
    5. As it is only for couple of weeks you should be fine. just follow all the precautions to stay healthy. nothing scary.
    6. Find a doctor/gynec near the place where you stay in chennai so that you can go if need be.
    7. take comfortable clothing as you might feel more hotter than others around you.

I had lot of water retention and my feet swell badly. I forgot to carry comfortable sandals which was difficult for flight travel. it's specific to my case. but if you have any other special requirements plan accordingly. Have a safe journey.

4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

When in India, stick to one leading brand of water (say AquaFina etc) and ensure to you keep it whereever you are travelling. Avoid even 1 mouthful anywhere else, as ur immunity will be low, and easier to get infected.

If you notice mosquitoes in the area you have to stay, ensure you are properly protected.

Rest all is fine.

5. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much Nuss , jskls and JustMyself. I'm relaxed by your replies. My heartful thank to all of you for taking time in replying my question. You don't know how much it eases me.