1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fly on the window

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by chillbreeze, Feb 10, 2015.

1. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The first time I noticed that fly, it was sitting on the window sill. I opened the window so that it can fly out and went on with my usual work. At night, when I was closed the window, it was still sitting in the same position. I opened the window again next morning hoping it would go out. I was away from home during the next few days and forgot all about it.

Those “next few days” were kind of tiresome with worry and frustration which made me wonder about life. When I reached home after 4 days, I found the fly still in the same place. But it has died and kind of dried up and gone brownish in color. All that the fly had to do was turn its head and there was freedom and the vast world outside. But despite my prodding to make it move out and fly through the window, it remained stubborn in its position and thus failed to see the whole world waiting just outside.

As I was contemplating its unwanted demise, I realized that the same logic applies to us human beings too. We get frustrated about the situations we face in life and crib about it. Often we feel stuck in life, and in the process lose new opportunities that may arrive in our way simply because we fail to turn our head and see in a different view point. We focus on the obstacle in front of us and make it insurmountable by fearing it. What we don’t realize is, there may be a way to conquer the so called obstacle only if we dare to see things from a different perspective and think laterally.

Expecting others to change for us or make us happy is of no use. Any change has to start from ourselves. We have to change the rather defeating mindset of “I can’t” and try to think positively. Now I am not preaching. This is what I was following for quite a few years now but stopped it in the last couple of months. This post is just a reminder to myself to not give up and try to be happy from inside.

PS. I told my sister about the fly and life analogy and she just laughed at me:hide:

13 people like this.

2. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

@Chill..nice narrating..yeah, we have to motivate ourselves...So fly teached you a lesson ..good

3. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

A thoughtful post and thanks for sharing your 'fly and life analogy'.

Yes...at times all we have to do is to be able to see through our situations and circumstances and most of the times; many of us fail to do that.

While reading your post I was reminded of my own 'fly and window' experience.The only difference, I made sure (though it took some time and effort) that it has flown out of the open window....:)

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear CB,

i agree with u totally there. Any change has to come from within ourselves and no guru or preacher can do it for us. We should not expect miracles, but we must do it ourselves.

A cousin of mine , his business is not doing as good. i sat with him over a few sittings, and made him see the reality, to cut down the excess staff, go more for outsourching in labor, cut down other costs, and his own expenditures, like he was eyeing to buy a new i phone, the current one is still new.

yes if god closes a door, he opens a tiny window, it is for us to take advantage of it,.

Well saud.

Regards

kamal

5. chillbreeze

Thanks for your feedback Latha and Yumna. I would have tried to make it fly too if I had been at home. But unfortunately I wasn't and noticed it only after coming back.

6. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

A fly made you think such good thoughts... and better is you shared it with us hugsmiley

1 person likes this.
  7. chillbreeze

Thanks for the fb Kamalji. As you said we have to take advantage of what we have and make our own miracles. But that opening our eyes to see new things is a very difficult thing to do as our mind is full of preconceived notions.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chill breeze,
    Quite amazing! A small fly sitting on the window ,unmoved by your driving has sacrificed its life.A simple , a thing to be ignored ,has opened up your thought process. I liked the way of your introspection.A fly can become our Guru.

It is practical experience that we have to allow sometime to get out of the disappointment of having lost a golden opportunity and a break for the wounds to heal.

If you allow time to pass, you will notice that many new opportunities have presented themselves, and may have already been integrated into your new life. This often goes unnoticed, at the first moment.
    Secondly, acceptance about what happened is needed before you are ready to discover new possibilities, challenges and unnoticed options.
    It needs some determination to look through the new openings.Some courage is needed to see what is behind the open windows-may be positive or negative.

The new window may not be worthwhile at all compared to the lost opportunity.Unless and until you stop comparing the new opportunity with the earlier one and decide to treat this as a fresh one, whether superior or inferior,the opening of new window or door may not make difference.

On many occasions the new window may be a step backward also. Initial retrogation may later on lead to a bright future.

It is personal experience that most of the new circumstances do not immediately present themselves, after a door has been shut.. Also, the attempt to force new doors to open may be counter-productive. Rather than doing that, it is better to simply “go with the flow”,. A while later you will automatically know if these things have developed into new opportunities or not.

Many shuttings have beneath them some hidden valuable lessons to offer.Depending on our insight we can derive notable guidance to avoid such happenings in future.

Wait for an opportune moment even to look for opening.

Jayasala 42
    [h=4][/h]

9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

CB, there is another learning in the episode as well. Sometimes God comes to help us in different forms and we are not able to recognize it. Reminds me of a story,

A person is sitting on the roof of his hut and praying to God while the flood was going on. Soon, a boat came by and the person in the boat asked the man to join him. The person refused. Water level kept rising. The person was busy praying. Then a bigger boat came near him and asked him to join. He refused. Then a helicopter hovered over him and a rope came down. He refused. Soon the water level rose and the person died. After death, the person is mad at God saying that he prayed so much and he didn't come to help. God said i came in various forms but you didn't recognize me and you refused.

So in life we should recognize the helping hand of God.

1 person likes this.
  10. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

dear cb , an excellent post . short and sweet but that increases the impact of your message .
    every human being has a right to be happy for himself or herself . they need to recognize this and take the opportunity when it presents itself .