Flowers and Angels at Republic day flower show

Discussion in 'Bangalore' started by vidyasarada, Jan 22, 2007.

1. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Re: Flowers and Angels

Dear VS,

I don't know how I missed such a fragrant post. Better late than never! Thanks so much for rekindling the flowery memories in everybody here. My mom still maintains the flower garden at our home in Trichy despite the punishing heat and water scarcity. She has "nandyavattai", "kozhukattai mandharai", "Sembaruthi - both single and multi", jasmine(single and multi), sangupushpam in white and blue, roses in various colors, Arali in different colors, pavazhamalli, arugampul (the grass offered for Lord Ganesha) and some more. When we wake up in the morning, my mom will be watering the plants and plucking the flowers for Puja, and the fragrance just whiffs through the air!!

Some of them are offered singly, the others are tied as garlands and offered to the "Arasamara Pillayar". And July comes, the jasmine flowers from our house are neatly knotted with the naar and adores the hair of almost every woman in our street. The flower vendor who used to come in the evening selling "malligaipoo, kanakambaram" used to complain to my mom that his sales are not very good in our street. Oh! how much I miss home? However we should be grateful that we have such fond memories!

My mom will tell me what flowers to offer for which God when I am faced with difficulties, because she believes that the flowers will take the message to God. I used to think that she is being very superstitious, but on reading your post, it is sooo true especially when you think back in time.

Here is my 2 cents for the Flowers and Angels. I have attached a picture of flowers offered to Goddess Varalakshmi on Varalakshmi Puja day.

Regards
    Vidya

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear vidya,
    Your post was fragrant to read and the picture fantastic and artistic.
    Regards,
    Meenu

3. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hugs to all of you !

Dear Varloo
    The episode of the tree is science -defying ! Miracles do happen, don't they !

Dear Safa
    Thanx for arranging that virtual flower show .

Dear Vmur
    You make me want to visit your mother's garden !

Dear Sridhar
    Vidyas are not exchanging esoteric messages in any Indus Valley tongues. Sayang just means " dear" in Bahasa Indonesia ( root lang: Malay) , "Aduh!" is a hold-all exclamation like our own "Ayyo", in same.
    And Sridhar, do you really have to drip saccherine like this ! I am most embarassed sir !

Dear V24
    Do rain down more posts, always a pleasure to read yours.
    And pssst : whats this nudge-nudge wink-wink mallu coding between you and seena ? What species of mole ? pray, do say - KGB or CIA ?

A red rose to each and everyone !

VS

4. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Hi Meenu happy to know that visual treat could lighten your heart. Still I dream the time when I own a beautiful garden..
    VS, rcvd your hugs and red rose. Sooo sweet..:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

VS sayang,

(Now that all know what sayang means, ----)

No nudge wink Malayalam coding. 'Mole' in Mal. means daughter,dear girl. I just addressed Seena so, since she made our day with her Flowers.

Thanks for the hugs and the red rose. I am more a wild flowers type of gal, so here is a hard picked bunch for the Mother, you and all ILites. And a hug beamed back.

See u round

cheers
    VR

6. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Beautiful post like a Flower.

Hi VS,

Your post is so beautiful just like the flowers that you have so meticulously written about. Here in the US flowers are sent or given for everything I can think of from birth to death, between personal and friendly relationships.
    Here are some western european symbolisms that I came across when I searched for it in the internet.

Bamboo- symbol of longevity
    carnation-symbol of enagagement
    Daisy- symbol of innocence
    Forget me not- symbol of rememberance
    Iris- symbol of death
    Jasmine-hindu symbol of Love
    Lily- symbol of purity, chastity and innocence
    Lotus- symbol of birth
    Orchid- symbol of perfection
    Rose- symbol of passion and love
    Rosemary- symbol of fidelity
    sunflowers- symbol of infactuation
    Violet- symbol of faithfulness.

Jothi.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Jothi,
    did you know that if bamboo blooms, it is famine time in the Eastern States of our country? Rats grow in population and destroy everything if bamboo blooms. The people of those states are scared dead due to this. Even a few months back bamboo had bloomed after a long time and they were very apprehensive. Discovery channel telecasted a special programme on that.

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear vidya,
    i am also a great follower of mother here is something for u....regards sunkan

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a million,dear Sundari. I have saved the pic as my screensaver. I am in need of some divine help at the moment and you sent Mother's pic at a crucial,much needed time. Thanks again.

affly
    Vidya

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

VS sayang,

Keeping in resonance with this thread on flowers, I happened to read a nice novel 'Lavender and Old Lace' by Myrtle Reed. And it had this line, 'I always thought my flowers had souls'. Thought of you and all in this thread when I read it.

cheers
    Vidya