1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flight Travel In Injury

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanjuruby3, Mar 3, 2023.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

my dad broke his wrist bone last summer (7-8 months ago) in India. We went with plaster as he is severely diabetic and high BP etc.
    Also he is handcap from other arm as well ( elbow).
    Today on phone, first thing he said, i want to come ... if you do not call me, i will go somwhere else.

We are also planning to go this summer anyways but i saw desparation. He already has so many health problems, i asked him to atleast wait something for wrist to heal and check with doc. He is going to dental issues as well..all age related problems.

He wont be able to hold baggage etc.
    My mother also had health issues and does not want to come.

Also reasons he is running from india, its worse here...solitude life, everyone in their own rooms, no one to talk.
    He has come here before also, and in 2 weeks he gets fed up with no a single soul to see..with us busy in work.
    So I am thinking what to do.

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Prepone your trip and spend month and a half with them. This will give them enough energy for another year

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If he is adamant on traveling you can look into wheelchair assistance. But he should first get medical clearance from his doctor in India, and you will have to make sure he has a good travel insurance when he comes here. Will they be able to sit in economy for such a long trip?
    Your dad seems to be making an emotional decision. Try to reason with him.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

We are planning trip early summer ( in June) as soon as school ends. My company does not allow more than few weeks in which many days to settle, jetlag and then in laws need equal time :-(
    I ask them everyday, my mom, if dad is okay ..she tells he has dental problems, going for infection,extraction, etc and shoulder hurting, so going to therapy.
    Then i ask my dad, if he is okay, fracture, oh yeah i am perfectly fine..just some pain on shoulder sometimes etc.. this is where all the pressure will go when he travels.
    30 hrs door to door they have to sit.
    I do not know if i can afford business travel for them.
    ALso mother does not want to come, so alone it will be really hard for him. I am so filled with guilt.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sanjuruby, one thing I learned after many phone conversations with my parents is this - we living abroad, after a phone call, we remember it in all details, relive all the emotion, and brood on it multiple times, and keep thinking how to fix the things. People in India, talk in that phone call, vent or air their frustrations about neighbors, relatives, health, injuries, bored... and they move on.
    You know all the above, so it is obviously not a good idea to have him over. You have small kids, hectic job, social commitments, having father over is not going to benefit any one.
    You've been married long enough now. Stop the practice of in-laws need equal time. In-laws need equal time with your kids, not with you. All your time can go with parents. let your husband take the kids to his parents house. With vacation being such a precious commodity, and your parents having health problems, it is perfectly understandable if you spend all your India trip time with your parents, and maybe 1-3 days at in-laws.

More than getting your father to the U.S., they will benefit if you can make a short solo trip more often than the whole family trip. Narrow your focus from "all of us should go to India" to "how can I make short solo trips more often." Initially, all will have n objections and comments if you plan a solo trip. Once you have the dates finalized, PTO approved, and tickets booked, and start making plans for your husband to manage kids in your absence, everything will start to fall in place. As long as it is an idea you keep talking about, people will keep commenting. Once it is more tangible like tickets are paid for, things settle down.

TL;DR: Go easy on yourself. We living in the U.S. keep reliving each phone call. People in India talk in one phone call, then move on to dealing with the aches, pains, therapy and visiting relatives. Instead of having your father over, see if you can arrange for guided tours in India itself which will give him a break from the routine.

Laks09 likes this.