1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flakes / scalp - another problem with my infant!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by nirupama, Feb 13, 2007.

1. nirupama

nirupama New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Sorry if I'm bothering you all with problems that I notice in my infant. I am a new mom and everyday I notice something or the other with my infant. Just want to clarify it with experienced moms here.

I notice that there are some white flakes / scalp (don't know whether I should call it dandruff?) in my infants head. She is 8 months old and I give her oil bath (massaging from head to toe) once in 3 to 4 days. I use green gram powder (paasipayaru powder) and johnson's head-to-toe wash alternately. I apply coconut oil regularly, she has got very less hair though.

Not sure why she is getting these white flakes / scalp? Is it due to dryness of this season? Or am I applying too much oil? Or does she need more frequent head bath? Or is it some health reasons or deficiency?

Please share your thoughts.

N.

2. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Hi,

I'm also looking for some advise here.

My baby is also having the same problem. Here in the US, they say not to apply too much oil, then it is possible to get scalp or dandruff due to oiliness.

But I hear from my people back in India, to apply more oil, for dryness would cause scalp or dandruff.

:idontgetit:

Nila

3. Goodwill

Goodwill Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

My baby had the same problem when she was 2 months. After taking my doctor's (US Pead) advice I used to oil her very rarely and give head bath rarely too (once a week or so when my friends used to do the same every alternate day). Also take care of your heater settings as it shouldn't be too warm. Use a mild baby shampoo (preferrably without any fragrance). Also, use some light hair oil (my doctor suggested very little amount of J&J baby oil) that too very rarely. Don't worry your baby's hair will grow even wothout too much oil. Guess these will work in US. This stage will recede during the summer months.

Thanks

4. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Hello Goodwill,

First of all, welcome to this community. I like your username - these days it is becoming so rare to find people with goodwill!

Thank you for your suggestion. I see a main point - heater settings. I guess we have it high in our home for it gets too cold otherwise. May be that's one reason. Hopefully summer gets things straight!

Nila

5. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi nirupama , nila,
    my son had the same problem when he was 6 months old .he had lost all hair looked like bald guy . but doctor said its ok . i washed his hair regularly with mild shampoo , and just comb to remove the flakes or remove with a towel while i dried him after bathing ,very gently . doc said .no oil at that stage , since itching would come.at that time he was looking funny ( no teeth , no hair ...same happens at old age (80 years and more )). i was worried too.

after some days,wait till all flakes are removed .then apply oil very lightly . the hair will start growing ...massage scalp very gentle without any force with ur finger tips .after 3 months he got good hair ....
    this is natural for the babies , known as cradle cap ( whether u use cradle or not).
    take care ,
    harini:2thumbsup:

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hey yu all first time mothers,
    it is only natural that you should be feel doubtful of this or that every day. The skin might be getting exfolicated, that explains the flakes. I think oil can be applied mildly. even here, dr advised against the traditional oil baths.
    My son had a full head of black thick and silky hair when he was born. But when he ws 7 - 8 months, he lost all the hair and became nearly bald. Then by the first b'day, the hair grew back and it was lovely.