1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Five Year Old Eating Beef

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Neelaa, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Somewhat relevant personal anecdote here: We are a mixed household. I eat meat and husband is vegetarian. We decided to let the kids assimilate with the local culture and didn't stop them from eating what was offered. Last year my son had his upanayanam. We had mom and son talks about what that meant socially and culturally. My son asked me if wearing the thread meant he couldn't eat beef and I said yes that was the expectation but the choice was his. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't need to eat beef. He has stayed true to his choice for a year now. He is only 10 and might change his mind as he grows up, but he wears his thread dutifully so I am hopeful. I am honestly surprised by his conviction. Don't force the situation either way. Children are much more receptive and understanding than we give them credit for. They tend to value what their parents value. Keep talking to him and be open about the reasons for your choices. If you make a good case for your beliefs your son might surprise you.

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Exactly . I agree with your dh. You can explain, but let him decide.

Neelaa likes this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes.tell him not to share with grandparents. You already would have bigger battles to fight with them. :beer-toast1:

Neelaa likes this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I think it is easier to explain vegetarian versus non-vegetarian than it is to explain certain kinds of meat versus others.

We are a vegetarian household, to the extent that gelatin is even not allowed. So gummy, marshmallows etc., are also prohibited. So far, just constant reinforcement of that is not something we eat in our house has worked OK for both my kids - 8 and 4. Of course, I don't know how it would change eventually.

That said, I understand exactly how you feel about this, OP. Once, my daughter ate a marshmallow not knowing it containted gelatin and it took me a while to get over it.

Neelaa and satchitananda like this.
  5. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

The reason for your feelings is our belief. Culture changes over a period of time. Having said that we can change whilst we live on this earth.

Ancient Indians ate beef as per vedas and epics. This is what I have understood after reading many discussions online. I personally haven’t read vedas and I am not aware of it. But when one searches google there are plenty of articles discussing same. Over the course of time some became vegetarian and the influence of Buddhism and Jainism are told as some reasons for it. Reading such things will help your own self to how to take your son’s eating habits.

When we evolve some of us took to vegetarian eating habits. If I were to enforce the same on other family members, I would use the above discussion. But a life - be it either in cow or goat or other animals, is still the same as per my limited thoughts. Any life will have the same right to occupy this earth just like me. So if I can sustain my life without harming others as much as possible then it gives bit of peace to myself and also makes sense to the kids. “Live and let live” can be used to explain to kids. But it would be hard to discuss when one eats meat and the arguments would be based on certain animals which are forbidden to eat. Milk is mostly obtained from cows but it doesn’t mean goats don’t give milk for consumption. Maybe can be used to explain to your kid if you intend to change his views. Both parents can explain same. If your husband disagrees it will be hard to explain to little kids.

Have you ever thought about the ‘leather’ in sofa and other accessories we use at home. I think lots are from animal hide and some maybe artificial.

Having said all the above “would eating the meat of a dead carcass including cows” going to be against our religious beliefs ( especially since we are not harming them)?!

You have given a very good thought provoking topic for myself to ponder and read.

Be at peace at whatever you decide.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Now he is 8 years. He asked this question at 5.

Neelaa likes this.
  7. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

We call cow 'mother' because most of us grew up drinking cow milk. Reason being a cow's milk is closest to human milk in nutrition and composition. By our indian culture we call every such thing 'God' which provides us without expecting anything in return. Eg rivers, trees, sun etc etc and ofcourse cow too. In India, especially rural part, people still raise cow as a family member. Now I cannot fathom the fact that how can one cut up and eat something with which they have such a deep connection. If human flesh were sold would you eat that too? Ofcourse not!! Almost similar feeling for beef too!
    American kids would probably not understand this, for them how about we replace beef with dog meat, probably that would help them understand our point.

Neelaa, Urmila and satchitananda like this.
  8. Urmila

Urmila Silver IL'ite

Whatever you told above are true as per our culture and probably the OP can use the above to discuss with her child and hopefully the kid understands it and able to follow it. But her husband and she, both need to be on the same stand to help the kids understand. That would be better in the long run.

Neelaa likes this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Why drag American kids that happily enjoying their quarter pounders into this eating beef is sin debate ? The choice to eat cow, dog, snake, human is all personal.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. Neelaa

Neelaa Bronze IL'ite

An update. Today, I talked to my son with my husband sitting beside him. I didn't know how to start and tell him. I was not sure how far he could understand my stand at this age. Thanks to all ladies here who cleared that age doesn't matter to explain. I explained him how beef eating will bring bad odour in our sweat, we as a family may not like it. When we go back to india, our people just don't accept eating cow meat. I said i'll prepare chicken dish on the day beef is served. Ds said " no mummy, i will not eat beef, i'll choose something else". I was surprised, even my husband. I had already told my husband not to bring beef or pork food items to home. we did argue on it. Atlast he said ok.

KashmirFlower, Mistt and Urmila like this.