Fishes, Fishes where are you?

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Singapore' started by CarolineRaj, Dec 11, 2008.

1. CarolineRaj

CarolineRaj New IL'ite

Hi All

I bought a fish tank recently with a automatic filter fixed in it. The shop owner recommended few tropical fishes. I got 5 of them, but they couldn't put up with me :hide: I think I overfed them, since I noticed lot of extra fish food left in the tank for 2 days before they died.

Can anybody tell me where I could find live fishes for my fish tank? This time I want to try from some other shop.

Also, since I am a first timer with the fish tank can anyone suggest which ones would be strong enough to survive until I familiarize myself with the maintenance.bonk

Message to the moderators:
    Apologies if I should have posted this in an already existing thread.
    I started this thread as I was not able to find any that is related to this subject. :spin

Many Thanks Bow

2. booboo

booboo Senior IL'ite

hi Carolene

You can buy fish from fish farm at Pasir ris. You can get if for a very cheap price. It's at drive 12.

I would suggest u to buy Neon tetra or those moley fishes. Don't use tap water directly, since we too faced this problem. Fill the water and leave it for atleast 2 days or 24 hrs b4 filling the tank. Also treat the water b4 using. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Uma

3. CarolineRaj

CarolineRaj New IL'ite

Hi Uma :hiya

Thanks for your immediate response.

Last time I had transferred the fish into the fish tank water after treating it with the anti-chlorine and the salt liquid for 2 hours as instructed by the shop keeper.

This time I have filled up the tank with water, all the necessary liquids and have made the water to circulate through the filter for more than 2 days now.

Will definitely try the ones you had suggested.

Regards, :)

4. CarolineRaj

CarolineRaj New IL'ite

Hi All

Was just thinking if I could get live fishes somewhere around Yishun area?:confused2: Would be easy to make quick trips in future.

Pasir Ris farm, possible... But have to plan for the visit.

Uma, do you know of any place around Yishun :?:

Cheers, :)

5. CarolineRaj

CarolineRaj New IL'ite

Hi

This time I had left the water run through the filter for at least a week before I let the fishes in.

[​IMG] The first fish died in half a day's time... 4 more died in the next 24 hrs.
    I have just 3 more fishes left.. notice(d) tiny dust like things sticking on their fins and tails... wonder what they are...

Looks like fish food. But I haven't fed the fish! [​IMG]

I really want to have a fish tank and want to learn to maintain it properly... [​IMG]

Uma,

Should I leave the water opened for 2 days and then dissolve the anti-chlorine & salt or should I dissolve all these and then leave it open for 2 days? bonk

Please pour in your suggestions & ideas.

6. deba19

deba19 New IL'ite

Hi there..

Sorry to hear about ur fishes dying. I know how it feels :idontgetit:
    Just a thought..are u keeping the ac on at home?
    I have had the same problem the first time I had tried maintaining a fish
    tank and the fishes had some white dusty things on their fins before the died.
    But the shopkeeper had suggested a thermometer and temperature maintaining device to be kept in the fish tank which kept the water temperature favourable for the fishes and they stopped having the skin problems and survived after that. I guess you could try it and see how it goes.

(hmm i love eating fish, but it really hurts when u see them dying..aren't we humans the strangest species on earth??)