1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First time to Play school

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sharanyadevi, Jun 27, 2014.

1. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends
    I know this topic was discussed here several times..and I have read all the post too..
    My daughter is 2.7 years, active and a smart girl..she will start her play school by this monday..I am really worried since being a houaewife I used to be always with her, she needs me for everything.
    Today when we went for the admission the person there was really good and I liked the school atmosphere very much.. she too enjoyed her play area..by then 5 mins we were in the other room discussing she started crying..
    I know kids will cry 1 or 2 days and things will be fine.. but I am worried..
    First day we drop nd pick her up, second day we drop her and she come back by school bus.
    Will she is be ok? Its ok if a kid cry for long time? Will the play school teachers able to manage?..getting too many thoughts..

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes she is going to cry if she have never been away from you. Talk to her play school teachers. Ask them how they will handle the situation when a kid cries for a long time. If possible talk to other parents.

Meanwhile prepare your daughter. Read her books. Explain that school is fun. Keep her informed that you will be leaving her in the school and will wait for her at home.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My son handled it a bit smartly at the age of 3. The school allowed one parent to wait outside for the first couple of days, so that in any case of emergency, we can be there for help.

I stood outside, and my kid knew that I am waiting out there. So he was okay in side. But after almost 1 hr, when everything seemed good, I went home to attend my other kid (just walk able distance though). I informed the teacher, but my son got to know that.
    Immediately after I left, he cried and the teacher was able to console him. When I returned, he was sitting inside the class room with one teacher, and the other students were performing some physical exercise in the ground.

I felt sad... Then stayed till he finishes off the class. He turned out to be active and fine on the first day, knowing that I was outside.

At home, I asked my son as to why did he cried there? To which, he replied... I thought you would leave me there permanently... and I would never get to come home again? I felt extremely bad for not informing my child enough about the school, timing and the actual purpose of it.

Well, I would have told him about the school, but never once I thought the need of telling him that I will take him back to home after 11.30 am, so that it is just only a play time for him there.

After getting this assurance of coming back to home, he started loving the school. I just stayed in the school only 1 full day.. The second day, just visited for some times, and then he handled everything alone.

4. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

Don't worry and be strong. The child is bound to cry for the first few days because he has never been away from you. Tell your child everyday that he will be going to school from now where he will have lots of friends and toys to play with, there will be a teacher who will teach them lots of new things, they can sing songs, dance, etc and it will be lot of fun. If u talk about school in negative terms, he will think of it that way. So do not make any negative associations with the school.

Also, keep the child informed and yes, do tell him that u will be leaving him there for sometime only and then come back and pick him up. This will reassure him and he won't feel lost.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. nikitamjain

nikitamjain Silver IL'ite

Generally playschool staff call up the parents if their child is very restless and constantly crying. They do not forcibly keep the child there bcoz even they understand that a child of that age cannot be forced upon.

6. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much friends
    Am keep telling her all the good dc stories about play school..I am alse showing her the playschool pictures from their FB page and she seems to ok.
    Have to see it on monday..

7. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Good luck to you and do tell us how it went. I need some motivation for sending my DD to child care as well. She is almost the age of you DD. I would really like to know how it went.

8. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much friends..
    Today was her first day to school..last day when we went for admission spent some time there and she noticed some things there..
    Today when I took her inside she was happy when she saw the class tree, having a pic of her ( earlier they asked us to submit 5 passport size pics)
    I have also packed her fav dora stickers her fav marker, star stickers..she was happy with that...

She waved me a good bye happily seeing the play area..after reaching home when I called her school they said she was crying..the admin there was so nice called me after half an hour nd shared all her happy pics through whats app..

So cool...aaah great relief.

9. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Yes he will cry and might do that for days. My dd cried for 2 months before she even listened to the teacher. she cried on top of her lungs as soon as we would reach the school. I was also a sahm and she was like my shadow.

But the good news is they will get over it !! It will take some time but they will be fine and enjoy school. my dd is going to Gr 9 and LOVES school