1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

First time to New york- tips on packing

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by HopefulNisha, Jan 27, 2014.

1. HopefulNisha

HopefulNisha Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My friend is going to newyork next week with hubby and 2 kids (toddler and baby). She is first time to US and would like to have tips on what to carry and what not to carry unnecessarily.Please let me know the following

- Are Indian grocery available in newyork. Do we need to carry any masalas or any food items
    - Did you people carry Indian utensils like cooker/ appa chatti/puttu kutti etc or are these available there?
    - What is the climate there now and can she manage with sweaters to travel from airport to hotel. or jackets are needed?
    - Any other useful input
    Thanks

1 person likes this.

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Nisha,

Everything is available (Indian Grocery) is available in newyork/new jersey. Distance of indian grocery shop depends on city/location. Regarding utensil, i am not aware with items mentioned by you other than pressure cooker but if she wants (have capacity) can carry the utensil. Since she is coming first time i'll suggest you to get some basic eatables (Rice, daal, some snacks, maggie etc) so she doesn't need to search grocery shop from very 1st day. Also, it would be great if she can carry baby food (specially if kids eat indian cerelac, taste is different than cerelac available here and in India).

Regarding winter - you might have heard about Polar Vortox in USA this year. NY, NJ are very cold so your friend needs good and very warm winter wear (specially for kids). Please ask theym not to take this season light .