1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First time experience with problem -- Lost -- Plz help!! Caution: Long post ahead!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by harithanhp, Aug 26, 2014.

1. harithanhp

harithanhp New IL'ite

HI Ladies,

P.S: Its probably going to be a long post. Please bear with me and help me.

Facing a problem first ever time. So far we as a couple have been doing great.. Been married for 3 yrs now.. DH has handled teeny issues if ever they came up..It may be a small thing but its been bugging me.. plzz help with ya advise..

It was one of my cousin`s wedding for which the entire family planned out to attend. My husband is not very social and doesn’t really like socializing with a lot of people. Yet he came along for the wedding for my sake. Post the wedding our entire family (almost 15 ppl) planned to go to my native place and then to Tirupati for Darshan from there. But my FIL came to attend the wedding and once we reached our native place he started saying that it was too hot for him to stay (he lives in a place that is close to sea and does not even have an AC!!). So he told everybody that he and my DH would leave early the next day, reach Tirupathi and stay there. I fumed. Had a fight with DH. DH got disappointed cuz I dint go along and the fight continued over fone. My FIL left for his town the next day leaving my DH alone in Tirupati, without even having Darshan. Our fight escalated and DH dint come to meet us in Tirupati. I stayed back and went with my parents and other relative.
    All my relatives had a high opinion of my husband but everything got shattered. It was my DH`s first visit to my native and it was all ruined. DH saw me cry and buried everything and got back to being his usual “ideal” self. I cudnt handle it but my parents advised to bury it too. But it has been eating me away ever since. My temper is high and I do get carried away in it and DH doesn’t really approve of temper tantrums L. He is still adamant on the point that I shud ve gone along with him and I on the point that he shudnt ve left like a puppy along with his father (it was sooo not like him). Now he talks of priorities and all and thinks I neglect him in front of everyone (DUH!).
    We have a trip planned to his native, which now I don’t wanna go. Absolutely disappointed with my FIL. I want peace restored in our lives and how do I deal with my husband who now seems not very open to visiting my relatives (doesn’t include my parents). Also he seems to suddenly be so very inclusive about his dad, that he is planning the next Tirupati plan with him again. My brain is bursting on this idea. Please advise the right course as I seem to have absolutely lost it!!

2. KP55

KP55 Gold IL'ite

Re: First time experience with problem -- Lost -- Plz help!! Caution: Long post ahead

I think you hold on to petty things and grieviences. These matters are not something to lose temper over. Yes, it might seem annoying but as the days pass these visits here and obligations there are totally irrelevant. Imagine yourself 6 months from now, do you think anyone will care what happened here? Yes they may remember but it is totally irrelavant to your marriage and well being. Right now you are living through your family's expectations and he is living through his. Exclude your family for a moment and concentrate on both of you first.

I haven't posted in about a year on this board and i come back and find the same issues over and over again. Again over family issues. I should create a sticky thread with some advice and experience that i've gained over so many years from friends and close family.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Re: First time experience with problem -- Lost -- Plz help!! Caution: Long post ahead

Dear Op...you yourself said your husband is not very social. Having a family get together and a trip together on his first trip was in itself a bad idea. You can't just throw people in together and expect them to have a good time.On top of that your fil was with him too...probably his first get together with your family. It is very normal for them to feel out of place and a little uncomfortable.

Your father in law probably made an excuse about the heat to get some breathing space for him and your husband.He didn't cancel the visit...just a little head start away from new relatives.I think he handled that part very tactfully. You should not have made a fuss .If you didn't want to go with them...that was perfectly fine.You should have cheerfully sent them away as you were soon going to meet again at Tirupati.

Your father in law was probably uncomfortable with your disagreement with your husband and decided to leave to avoid any further problems between you(I would still give the benefit of the doubt to him)

Your husband is probably trying to make his father feel better for the disastrous trip by being extra nice and close to him.

What can you do?...First get over it. Secondly...if you want your husband to be comfortable with your family....do the same with his. Go for the planned visit to his native place and try to do what you expect your husband to do with your family. Don't make it an ego issue ....your husband melted seeing your tears. He may stop doing it in the future. Don't let silly family issues come in between your marital peace.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    10 people like this.
  4. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

OP,

YM put it very nicely.

I think you over reacted on the Tirupathi incident. You knew your husband is uncomfortable socializing yet he came for wedding to keep you happy. But then made some spur of the moment plans to go with his dad. These things happen. You could have handled it by cheerfully sending him off as its only a question of a day. I am not sure if he wanted you to come with him and you refused or whether the fight started over phone. Either case please don’t let this escalate further by avoiding his family. It will only create a rift between you and him. Your marriage is still young. Both very much attached to their respective families. If you handle all this family stuff in a diplomatic way from now it will make your husband adore you even more. It is a long term investment and you might only see the return in a few years. Go to Tirupathi with DH and Fil, have good darshan, enjoy time with your fil. Please don’t sit and pout. Please don’t sit and think oh he is not friendly with my side so I will be same to him. Be mature and handle it with a good heart.

2 people like this.
  5. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Agree with YM.

Control you temper. These are not the things to get concerned about. I understand at the heat of the moment, one feels like it. But always take a deep breath and think it through. If his father is feeling hot, he is feeling hot. You can't judge it any other way. As people age, they become sensitive to the weather. So don't let such things upset you. You need to go to his native and be part of the family. It need to be tit-for-tat type of behavior.

6. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

OP, I will relate an incident to you. There was a function in my in-laws side for which I booked my own tickets in advance, took leave and had my own staying arrangement. My in-laws had a same day travel and no staying arrangement for the guests. My DH blamed me for making separate arrangements. I was quite hurt at my DH's expectations because:

1.) I attended the function despite husband's absence and without bothering anyone
    2.) I was the only person (other than the couple for whom function was organised ) who had to attend office the next day - so I couldn't afford to take the trouble of same day travel in peak of hot season
    3.) DH's own relatives commented in hushed whispers that their arrangement was so hectic(read: bad) ...they had to get up at 4am and then two train travels in a single day (may be to avoid hotel costs) was so uncomfortable

OP, why I related this to you is to let you know that sometimes we expect too much from others and then we blame that person when he is unable to fulfil the expectation. We overlook the fact that that person was genuinely incapable of fulfilling our expectation. DH did the same with me. You are doing the same with your DH.

You have a happy marriage, so please don't spoil it by your anger management issue or over-expectation. Therefore, please attend the event at your DH's native.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  7. harithanhp

harithanhp New IL'ite

Thank you ladies for taking out time and helping me out.. Helping me out because I did have a reality check of my naivete... After reading all your responses i now feel wiser and clearer about what is more important.. Atleast now i will keep reminding myself about some patience that i need to have with regards to these petty issues. Honestly speaking it has been a great help.

Thank you so much Indusladies.. I know I can rely upon you!! :)

3 people like this.