First morning urine sample

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by ptamil2007, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

This might be a silly question, but still I am looking for some clarification

On Friday during my checkup, the nurse said that there is some possibility of urinary infection and so has asked me to leave first morning urine sample on monday morning.

She gave me the kit for that but I forgot to ask her this:

Nowadays my sleep schedule has gone for a toss. I sleep around 3 am in the morning and get up as late as 10 am.
    Also bathroom being my living room now-a-days, what is the first morning sample supposed to be.

I know that they ask for first sample becoz of the hours gap between dinner and breakfast time. But in my case, I feel hungry at 2 am and I eat something, I have to drink water and visit the bathroom every now and then.

Anyone who has taken the test during this stage of pregnancy, please post your suggestions

2. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I will tell mine.
    When I was pregnant, was asked to give urine sample every time I have the check up(here every pregnant women should give the sample at each visit) especially the first one but every time I will forget & take it in the hospital. When I asked the nurse she said its fine to give the later one. To get the best result they ask for the first one (coz once the day starts we eat different food and it may affect the result) this is what she told me.

I hope this helps. For urinary infection plz drink lot of water and fruits.

Dhivya

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

First morning sample can be the one you collect when you wake up at 10 am. When they are testing for UTI (urinary tract infection) your food intake does not alter the presence or absence of micro organisms. The food intake itself plays a role only when they are checking for glucose in the urine. UTIs are common in pregnancy and drinking plenty of liquids does dilute the microbial count and helps your immune system defend better. Depending on the particular organism docs may advise you to either acidify or alkalinify your urine by taking more of a certain type of food. Frequent emptying of bladder, not overdistending the bladder will also help clear the contents sooner. But remember to use the antimicrobial wipes the doc gives before you catch the midstream urine to prevent contamination from external genitalia. Hope you feel better soon.

-L.

4. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Hi L,

Just curious, i see something that comes in the urine its colorless but just like menstraul bleeding, not that much but just droplets... - can anyone tell me what could that be??

5. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear ptamil,
    like u my sleeping pattern has also changed.it happened with the first baby & continued till baby was 3 mths old.
    regarding ur query.take the sample when u wake up at 10.keep the bottle on the flush tank so that u remember it.
    taking yoghurt .it also helps to reduce UTI.also,as u r almost in the last stage take the medicine suggested by doc regulary, so that UTI does not continue after delivery.
    take care
    pragati

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Here,everytime I go for a check-up,they ask me to leave a urine sample in the hospital restroom at that time,no matter what time of day it is. In my first visit itself,UTI was detected and they put me on antibiotics for a week.Thats all.It is as simple as that. Also,they will give the same antibiotics during the time of delivery as an IV fluid,that is what the doctor told me inorder to prevent any further infection.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for all your posts.
    I took the sample when I woke up that was at 10 :)

The result came that there is no infection but leucocytes she mentioned as 2+.
    I didnt know what these meant but the midwife said that its not much of a problem and at this stage no medication would mean necessary.

I am drinking plenty of water and taking fruits on a daily basis.

Its just now the wait for the baby :) :queen

8. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

ptamil,
    Leukocytes are part of the defense mechanism in the blood - some of these cells escape into the urine normally. When the count is very high then they order more tests to check how the kidneys are functioning. since the count is pretty low and since you are so close to your EDD they will not worry about it. Just keep yourself hydrated and don't stress - you'll be just fine.

sunitha,
    The urine sample you are giving is to check for proteins or sugar in the urine. That is a very quick dipstick method of test to determine if you need more tests or not. This is routine. Generally they will not find any sugar or proteins in the urine.

Shilpa,
    I'm not sure what you mean by that - you say its colorless but its like menstrual bleeding? So is it mucousal discharge? Does this discharge change the color of the urine? Mucus discharge increases from the 5th month onwards but that is more whitish and of "rice-water " consistency. But if this is frank blood it needs to be looked at by your ob/gyn. If it is infact blood then you need to make sure whether its vaginal (can be normal spotting) or urethral (can signify UTI). Trust your doc and ask them to take an urine sample in your next visit if they don't and mention this issue to them - at least in US, you can definitely leave message on the doc's/nurse's phone about your concerns and they should return your call in 24 hrs and if they think it needs to be looked at then they will ask you to come in.

-L.

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Lavanya,

There are no more leucocytes now in the urine. They are back to normal

10. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi ptamil,
    I too had UTI in during my preg...My doc advised to drink a lotta cranberry juice to keep off the infection till my delivery...

Cheers
    Ramya