1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First Foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sumanr, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Exactly what I did too (minus the jeera).

V.

2. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Pon,

When you say sweet potatoes and apples do you mean the stage 1 foods of gerber or anything similar or do you prepare at home.If it is homemade, is it boiled mashed apples?

Also can you share the menu you give for Vishal,just trying to find out what can I give now?

I started with formula and little bit of gerber cereal once a day.He will be completing 5 months in another 2 days.

Others,

When is it good to start ragi kanji,Idli ?

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Manju,
    All home made, none of them are store brought, sweet potato - boiled mashed, with little BM. Apples - steamed, mashed, with little BM. He takes a couple of spoons of apple puree now. So far, its been 4days of all these purees :)) First find if this tongue thrust reflex is gone, ie, he isnt pushing his solids out, with his tongue. If he is ready for solids, you can start purees if you really think your supply is low. Solids would make your supply to go down further, as the demand decreases. Do you pump, to maintain supply? I do pump everyday. Otherwise my supply dwindles!
    Kanji, i am pushing it further and further from starting, until he hits 6months! Let me see :)

How are things otherwise, packing, coming down, etc? Take care Manju :) Call me once you reach here :))

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Can I start water now? LO is 5 months and I somehow have a feeling that she is thirsty. She cries and when I feed, she just drinks little.

Can I give water after banana/apple etc? How many times do I give water and how much?

5. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hey Ramya,

I have started semisolids with Shibu now. I started it last wednesday when I gave her one spoon of smashed sweet potato. Then this week i am giving her apple, boiled and smashed. why I started writing this was, yes my paed asked me to give her some water after food. I gave her once and she didnt like it. So, I either B feed her or give her pumped milk.

you can try giving her water.

Vidyaa

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, I do give little water (3-4spoons, less than 10ml) after solids, but he prefers to nurse after solids, for that sucking feel i guess. Once i start kanji, I would increase water. I didnt give water earlier, before solids.

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

It's ok to give water say less than an oz or 3-4 teaspoon.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya wen i was zoey takes purees i make it a point to give 1 oz of water.... its so hot anyway and i want to keep up her fluid intake.....:)

also i mix her purees with 1 oz pumped milk.... so thats hydrating as well

even before we started solids(say a couple of weeks bck) with zoey i would either latch her on frequently for the foremilk or give her water a few teaspoons whenever i felt it was extremely hot here

at the moment i have stopped solids for her coz we are trying to put her on formula slowly, and at 6 months we are directly going to start BLW, no puree business

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Ramya,

I agree with Poonam. 1 oz is what my paed recommended to give after meals. Do maintain atleast 15 mins time after the meal is given, do not serve water immediately. Also for fruits its best not to serve water immediately after as the child gets prone to colds. I am going slow with bananas as Leno is prone to cold with bananas. You can try one fruit at a time and then on weekly basis to find out what is the best suited fruit for your LO.

Poonam,

What is BLW?

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite