1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First Birthday, Away From Rest Of Family :/ Help Me Celebrate

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by Bubbles, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

My LO's birthday is coming up, and I want to celebrate it in a meaningful way..
    Had I been in India, it would have been awesome just by rejoicing with family - mine, parents, bros, sisters, cousins, in laws...everyone..
    This is the first birthday, so I miss them all terribly.
    1. Besides skyping, what other ways can I make them a part of the celebration?

2. How can I have a meaningful first birthday? I am not much into partying with strangers - not many friends here, except husband's. Temple, yes...what else?

I don't want to be sad wishing it was in India.. how can I make it enjoyable for the LO as well? And make it feel like a celebration? Please share all your ideas and suggestions - usual and unusual..

anika987 likes this.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@Bubbles- Congrats on your LO's first birthday :) Happy birthday to your munchkin :kissingheart:

My SIL did a small birthday party a family of 7 on her LO's bday.

We, on the other hand took a vacation and spent quality time with DS in national forests. We have some amazing pics.

I have quite a bit of family in the US and India- they wanted us to celebrate on Skype.. which we did after we got back from vacation. We got a muffin ( DH and I are dieting), my cousin could come home and we set up a time EST, PST, UTC and all our relatives in India and the US logged on and watched us celebrate.

After the celebrations we went out to a restaurant :D

This is what we did. We don't have much of couple friends or friends with kids in our area. We aren't devout temple goers..our only resort was family.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It is all in your mindset..

you go to temple in the morning and evening skype and celebrate with a nice cake with your family and promise to give them a huge treat when u go to India..

Or invite your husban'd friends..they will come along with their wives and kids and celebrate the party.that way u will get to know them and u can form a group.

your LO has the wonderful gift of celebrating with her lovely parents!what more does it take to make the day more special!

I see many parents celebrating parties in a grand scale!do u think the kids really care?they are just happy in their own world!all they need is a cake and few candles.that's all.big parties r more for the parents to socialize honestly.

relax and enjoy the day.make god a part of your celebration.my best wishes to your LO.

4. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@anika987- well said... It's truly our mindset.
    After my DS turned 1. It hit me hard that I should be with family and started to miss them... I was overwhelmed with lot of emotions after the celebration.
    In a way.. I feel terrible of immigrant lifestyle.

Bubbles and anika987 like this.
  5. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

@Bubbles-Advance happy birthday to ur lo:dev14:
    As many said its really a good time for ur son to celebrate with parents..
    Plan temple , sometime with vc with those in india,go to any place which is near something like 1 hr distance n wer u can relax...if u have friends with whom u r comfortable, organise dinner n cake cutting
    Also make sure u dnt strain urself calling all n cooking for them n all..
    Cook fr urself n eat n go to a sight seeing place or so..
    Go wit ur interest n relax...
    Njoyyy:cheer:

Chocolatey and Bubbles like this.
  6. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

@blindpup10 - i liked ur national forest idea very much:blush:

blindpup10 likes this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Bubbles, :dev14: to your kiddo! [​IMG]

However you choose to celebrate, remember to take lots of pictures. :)

Bubbles likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Do you have any plans to visit to India in the near future. If so, plan a party in India involving all the family members around.
    Meantime, celebrate the actual birthday at home, with a cake. You may also visit a temple, and eat out in a restaurant as family.
    Make pics of this memory, and include them to the first birthday album after celebrating the big party later on.