1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fireworks in my heart

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iniyamalar, Feb 3, 2011.

1. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

Last night I was getting ready to sleep.

As I tried to close my eyes something bursted out side. Then again..and then again and again.

Oh!! it’s Chinese New Year and there must be a fantastic fireworks display going on I thought.

I pushed aside the curtain of the wall to wall window near my bed and kept watching at the night sky, still lying in Rangathan posture.

The sky was lit up by thousand colors and glitters. Again and again and again the fabulous firework continued nonstop for more than ten to fifteen minutes.

Oh. It was a great sight to behold but I was rather saddened by seeing it. In five minutes I pulled the curtain back and closed my eyes with a sigh.

Fireworks.

Though beautiful to look at and for that five minutes makes us forget everything else, they are still a waste of money in my opinion. Most of the time, I feel like the currency note itself is burning to smoke when I see the fireworks or crackers being fired away.

In the cost of that fifteen minutes fireworks they could have easily made a sumptuous full course meal for at least a hundred people, could have sponsored a kid for his primary schooling, could have assisted a couple getting married or at the least could have helped in taking a group of orphanage home kids for a field trip, all of which could make the end user to witness his/her own fireworks in their hearts. But people choose to burn it into smoke instead.

I agree, in a cloudless night it is wonderful, jaw dropping beauty to look at, but still at the end of which what remains? Just ash and dark smoke. I wish people could make a noble decision at least once in a year. It would be a great way to kick start a new year, either it be New year or one’s own birthday.

I have a strict rule at my house not to buy crackers for diwali (I am a little scared of them, that is another matter) for more than some amount. I wouldn’t buy at all if I could but my husband will become a kid at this time of the year and I can’t help but say yes to a thirty three year old kid who is begging before you with thousand ‘please dear’ in his face.

I once asked my Dad who usually splurges in crackers and fireworks (as usual) as why he is wasting so much money on this.

He said ”My dear, I am helping as many people as I can in my everyday life, but diwali gives me a chance to help those thousands of people in sivakasi whose entire life they do nothing but make these firecrackers. Do you know how many tens of villages are there in and around sivakasi where more than thousands of family has this as their only job?

This is the only chance to help them earn some money dear. You buy crackers for thousand rupees and you can make an unknown man and his family to have full meals for a day.”

That was his opinion. Good.

But having said that… I somehow feel that a better way to start a new year is not by watching a fire lit sky but by watching people smile..Especially those who smile at you with all their love and gratitude(like the kids/people in a home) or the one which comes out of total innocence..like the laughter of a child.

I often wonder what magic does a child’s laughter has that it makes us fly to another world?

The moment the gurgle of laughter reaches your ear, there is this surge of happiness building up inside you which starts flowing upwards and your face lights up like a Christmas tree..

As a test I once opened two windows of you tube with Omkara sound in the first one and a child’s laughter in the second.

I listened to them one by one and needless to say..

I felt the calmness in the first but felt the at most happiness with the child’s laughter sound. It certainly opened up a fireworks display warm in my heart…

So, Make someone happy and have a firework in your heart….

XIN NIAN QUAI LE.
    Happy (Chinese) New year.

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

You know, when I feel low or depressed, I try listening to my favorite songs, watch some movies, read some books, etc. But none gives me the instant joy and warmth which I feel when with a kid. Even the 'nga nga' sound from a baby lifts my mood and brings me so much happiness.

Very nice blog my dear malar :thumbsup

3. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

100 % true!! Though i love crackers at my childhood, later when I was able to reason out things, I stopped buying it. As you said, it goes ashes. Rather that can be used to feed the people who are in need of.

Hats off to your thoughts!!! Last but not least, even i love hearing "mazhalai mozhi"...it soothens your heart and relaxes.

Thanks Malar for a wonderful blog!!!

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Every festival atleast in India is celebrated with crackers and fireworks. Though I havent been a fan of crackers I love fireworks. But giving priority to the Eco reasons I have decided to celebrate all festivals without firworks and crackers. But what your father had said is also right. If no one is buying the crackers what will they do? How will theye arn their living? There is only one answer to this. They would have to turn to other means of living.And now its not like olden days when you could have only did what your family did for earning a living. You have more options. But to get these options one should have money. To give education to their children they need money, then only can thier future gen work in other fields. So what we have to do as a responsible citizen while spreading the message for a cracker free festival is also to help these people in other ways possible to take up other jobs. May be government can play a major role in this.

5. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Iniyamalar,

Some people think while they use a thing, it will make them happy. In my childhood, there will be a fighting between us and the neighbours on who spend more on fireworks. But slowly the habit is reduced.

I am against using fireworks. but it has become a status symbol. we cant avoid it. atleast we can reduce buying it.

But i agree with you 100% that helping a person, make him laugh and the firework will be in both the minds.

good topic iniyamalar.

andal

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Malar...Thought provoking post!

Xie Xie Ni & Gong Xi Fa Cai!

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Malar, I also don't buy fireworks. Especially this year was my daughter's Thalai Deepavali. I decided not to buy. But then we had a seminar in our CA Association and the CAs from Sivakasi had arranged to gift every delegate with a gift parcel of fireworks.

Now that you clearly know that I am on your side, however, I don't subscribe to your view that fireworks is a waste of money. If only we take a strict utilitarian angle most of the things we use will be waste of money. Clothes are to to protect our honour as well as to give us comfort from heat and cold. But just think how much we splurge on clothes?

Cars for transportation. My young client once drove a BMW which cost him close to Rs.65 lakhs. At that time I was driving a Maruti 800. He asked me to compare the cost of his car and mine. I told him that my car was worth just one EMI he would pay for the loan on his car.
    Food is for hunger. But tell me how much money is splurged on food. I attended rich man's wedding where there were seven side dishes and 8 different varieties of sweets. We all enjoyed the dinner. Still then in a way it's waste of money.

Fireworks has never given me happiness, Malar. I was crazy for fireworks when I was 15 or 16. Now I don't even watch fireworks. Not even on the TV. But it gives happiness to so many people. It's a beautiful sight for many. Anything that's beautiful, anything that gives happiness can never be a waste, Malar.

sridhar

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Malar,

you just shared my thought process. I believe in spreading smiles that sparks and lights the face and heart of the one who gives and the one who gives...

We stopped buying crackers for the past few years..but at the same time i know many people think in the lines of your dad. but i beg to differ because the ultimate beneficiaries of this industry are not those people living in those villages.if it were there would not be so many school going kids working in those factories illegally when they should be at school..

Xie Xie Ni & Gong Xi Fa Cai! malar..the year of the rabbit?? let us see what is in store..

9. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Malar,
    Sgter going to Malasiya i realised you have taken a psydo name.
    XIN NIAN QUAI LAI.

When we do some acts that we feel proud of - it is always a fire sparkle that knidles you to do this act. Once the deed is accomplished the heavyness in the heart reduces and we feel light like a child and the first smile that we see - we corelate to a child or an elders smile.
    Happy (Chinese) New year..

10. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Malar..

Nice thought from you dear....yes i too think that wasting too much money for crackers ...for that what i do is spend 50% for crackers and 50% for some good thing like donation or for some kid who is really in need of money.....and also as it has been said i feel the happiness in giving....so true that a child's laughter and small things they do bring happiness in our minds...

Regards
    Uma