1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Meets Water

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, May 14, 2018.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Fire and Water two important elements in many philosophies. One is the Yang while other is Yin. One denotes passion while other denotes serenity. One destroys while other provides the possiblity of life. One is Masculine while other is feminine. While both are opposite both complement one another. When both meet depending on the element that caused fire it could explode. Enough with the philosophy & science but will share with you my trip to the land where both fire and water meets.

When we landed on Big Island of Hawaii it was a beautiful morning. As our plane was descending I could see many air force planes and the mountains were so huge that clouds were almost close to the ground. Our tour guide first took us to Banyan tree Drive. It was full of huge banyan trees close to 150 years old and a beautiful Japanese garden in the nearby area. After quick stop at a chocolate factory which housed locally grown coffee, Hawaii famous Macadamia nuts and different shortbreads we were off to Black Sand beaches. Sand was really black and if one is lucky we could see a green turtle. But all I could find was an upside down dead turtle with white skin and lots of small and huge crabs. Then we went to the beautiful rainbow falls that roared but rainbow was missing because of the clouds. There was an enormously huge banyan tree nearby. It was massive and very impressive.

Our next stop was Volcanic National Park(Kilauea Summit). The ride thoroughout was beautiful. Island fresh air still had some distinct smell that I couldn't take. Acai Berry's along with tropical fruit smoothies were heavenly treats. There were different type of fruit trees, ferns and variety of island plants that I had never seen. The flowers were unique. We were led in a trail (which used to be a road in 1970's) but a big fissure had caused a section of the road to be closed down. The smell in that area was very strong. We saw lot of steam vents from which steam was coming and then we got the view of the huge Kilauea crater that was almost a mile apart. It was mid-day and all we could see was steam coming from the big crater. We walked around another half mile to get a view from the other side. With very careful observation I could see red flares on the water (as it seemed to be) and was clearly visible from binoculars at the Jaggar Museum & visior center

At the visitor center I saw a beautiful painting of fire meets water and the land thus formed. It was stunning. That was the thought process behind the first paragraph. We had to come back to see the Volcanic activity at dusk. In the mean time we were roaming inside Lava tubes. It was another wonderful experience, We drove around Lava Land (land formed after lava cooled down). It was rocky and black for miles and miles and we even got to walk over the rocks and look at the ocean from the edge of the cliff. We heard stories about how once Lava oozed near the cliff while there was a wedding and how some were affected. Throughout our drive I saw children and teachers in groups outdoors. One group were at the farm hands on with plants, while another group of kids were at ocean parks observing tide pools and one school bus at the museum nearby learning hands on at the observatory. Our tour guide mentioned that for him to graduate high school he had to build his own canoe and reach island of Mauna Loa. More of their education system was to prepare them for practical life.

At dusk we were again at the Kilauea crater and what I saw was unbelievable. The cloud of grey steam at daytime was putting up a spectacular flare red light show at night. Fire was spewing over the water filled crater. We were told that activity has increased and we were lucky to see the the lava rising to the top as well as flowing outside the crater and we could see the lava rivers even though we were about a mile away!! At night the spectacular show was really awesome. Jaggar Museum and Visitor Center was the best spot to view this unforgettable lava show. It was a once in a lifetime experience. I even was skeptical that maybe it was artifically created to attract tourists and visitors.

Oh boy how I wish I was correct. The beautiful Leilani estates that we drove around now has more volcanic activity and so many lives displaced and homes destroyed. Though people who live there are aware of the risks, hazards and uncertainty it still hurts to see the parts of beautiful island that I travelled just few weeks back is now with so many lava fissures and many parts of the beautiful island is being evacuated. After two days I came back I got a message asking me "What did you stir up there that Lava is spewing now?" Did I really stir it up?

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi,
    Nice write up on Hawaii. While reading I Felt of I was traveling with you. I don't know I will visit or not visit Hawaii but your narration made me a feel of I visited Hawaii . Enjoyed ! :)

Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi really you stirred the Lava with your Love for nature and the Fire is now just ashes.Water can put off the Fire and like that Love can destroy the anger within us.

6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@jskls,

Lakshmi, that's a lovely Hawaiian lava tour of the Leilani estates!

Special thanks for sharing the related scenic photographs and the photograph of the painting. :thumbsup:

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,

What a beautiful description of your visit to Hawaii! That must have been a great experience to watch the fire meeting the water. It is a shame that what was such a wonderful picnic experience turned out to be disastrous for the residence of Hawaii now. Earth is a piece of the Sun is proven again and again such volcanic activities indicating the core of the earth is still hot.

Regarding the elements, one evolved from the other. Every new element that evolved had new qualities but all the existing qualities of the previous elements. For example, both fire and water can destroy if they are voluminous. All elements have dispensable qualities when separated from the sublime vital energy. The evolution of five elements are described in the scriptures. Space was the infinite container of all the elements and its vibration created air, air generated fire, fire became water after cooling, cooled water solidified into earth and earth is the combination of all five elements.

Even in human form, Akasa (Ether) is Anthahakarana (Inner Senses), Vayu (air) is Pancha Pranas (Vital air), Agni (Fire) The Jnanedryas (Organs of knowledge), Jala (Water) is five Thanmatras (5 Subtlenesses) and Prithivi (Earth) Karmendriyas (Organs of action).

Viswa

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Lakshmi,

Whether you stirred or not, the first thought that came to mind was, thank goodness this did not happen when you were there! Hawaii indeed is a lovely place and what is happening now is unbelievable. I sit glued watching anytime they show it on TV! Hopefully, it will settle down soon.

9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

oh wow too detailed you are ls - join the tourism dept of hawaii :)

hope you went there, enjoyed and then came back to research and write - if not you wouldn't be able to enjoy as you have experienced.

you did stir up your brains, ours too :)

Thyagarajan, jskls and periamma like this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wonderful description!Read it thrice.Well done Jsklas

Jayasala42