Finest Posts-may 2016 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Cheeniya, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

I am a big fan of AR Rahman, not because I love his music so much but because he is the icon of youth and being his fan is considered as the unmistakable hallmark of youthful spirit. At my age, it is the easiest way to youthfulness! When young people are around, I invariably mumble a Rahman song, ‘Maiyya, maiyya’. It has been penned by another youthful old man! I never really bothered to decipher the meaning of ‘maiyya, maiyya’ till now. As all of you know, I am a rambler and ramblers do not need to invest their ramblings with any meaning.

I am now in the process of announcing the opening of nominations for May 2016. As is my wont, I look around for some interesting titbits about May and you know what I found? That May was named after ‘Maia’, a Greek Goddess who was identified with the Roman Goddess of Fertility called Bona Dea. Instantly I could connect the Greek Goddess Maia with Mallika Sherawat gyrating for the Rahman number ‘Maiyya, maiyya’. Maia is the Goddess of Fertility and will hopefully preside over the fertile imagination of our members across the Forum. There will be hopefully plenty of posts worthy of nomination. It is possible that there will be an encore of May 2013 when we received a whopping 41 nominations!

The month of April 2016 has been a gratifying one. We have had plenty of nominations and from forums as varied as Gardening and the newly introduced Media. We may have to think of a suitable competition for Media and the like as they do not fit into our framework.

Chennai is sizzling now and we do not need a stove to make an omelette. Just the bonnet of a car parked under the open Sun will do! But the heat hardly bothers me as I have plenty of cool nominations to read. I do hope you will continue to scout around for nominations and keep me cool and engaged!

We are now into the revised schedule. From now on, the nomination threads will be opened on the first of every month.

The FP Team
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do note that posts and threads from the sub-forums Express Cafe, Forward Messages & Jokes, Online Games & Puzzles are not for nomination.

To familiarize yourselves with FP and its nominating process, please check this linkbelow:
    Finest Posts of IL
    Each member is allowed to nominate up to 4 posts only.
    This ensures that each of us have a hand in deciding the winning post as we will filter our choice more closely, thus making the winner more significant.

The nominations will be closed on the last day of every month. Simultaneously, the nomination thread for the following month will be opened on the First day of that month.

In case of nominating FBs, please remember to add a link to the FB and not to the original post.

The following gives step-wise on adding links to your nominations –

- To add a link to the original post that you are nominating:
    How to add a "Link" in my post?

- To add a link to the FB that you are nominating:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/fa....html#post6653

nimitakain, knbg, Amica and 5 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I just read that you will be opening the May nominations tomorrow. I thought I wont be there to give the first feedback, but so surprising that you have opened the May nominations and as always awesome announcement. I am also very fond of Rehman Songs. As it is Mother's day in May you have written about Maiyya I think. I had been busy attending Bajanotsavam so I have to go through to nominate the best post. Hope I am able to do it fast

kaniths and Justanotherwife like this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

I dont know whether this thread can be nominated because it is written by @sumitag's daughter . It is Book Of Contents

vaikhari and kaniths like this.
  4. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    Thank you for your first reply. The whole of today, there was no power in my area and it came just an hour back. I did not want to take the risk of waiting till tomorrow to post the Nomination thread. If there is a power shut down again like today, I would not be able to keep up the schedule. Hence I posted it today itself.
    Sri

Justanotherwife and iyerviji like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Oh so sad, can understand how it must have been without power in this hot season. All the best for power to be there

6. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    It is not in our scheme of things to accept nominations of threads written by the children of our members. I regret my inability to accept this nomination.
    Sri

iyerviji likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

No problem my dear Anna

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Before Cimorene comes here let me nominate this thread Bundles Of Pain of @vaikhari. When I read it I wanedt tonominate but was busy reading something else

9. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

To fix A.R. Rahman, Maiya, Mandira Bedi and the accursed weather in Deccan peninsula, I'm hurling a downpour your way. Not a downpour of the sizzling cool you are expecting, but the one that FP Loyalists are usually swept away with, and here is one humdinger of a thread titled Bundles of Pain

I had a foreboding that vaikhari will strut an entry into Snippets in a majestic defiance of her unstoppable prowess. Throwing caution to the wind, I managed to stalk her. In one thread she evinces her passion for liberal arts, in the next her fondness for bard, and now a think-piece at the impoverished and prescriptive language curriculum. I'm happy that you have chosen to launch the nominations for May today, instead of tomorrow, because the only way to measure up with someone whose formidability walks in before her is — to nominate her post a day in advance.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  10. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

In the 90's, there was a late prime-time show on Doordarshan called "World This Week" hosted by Prannoy Roy (television already sounds quaint in this streaming era). What was special about it? Glamorous international advertisements were broadcasted in the run-up to the programme. I was one of those kids who wow-ed at the swirls of Coca Cola cans and British Airways Flower duet track. Such excitement to seize the telecast live. No digital tv recording devices back then to facilitate on-demand viewing. The wait was worth, as the images flickered to a bug-eyed audience, fascinated by products, innovations and banners from overseas. I rarely watched the actual show that followed these adverts.

In few years, I glinted at the curtain raiser of Oscar Awards , opening ceremonious of Olympic Games. The overture to all these telecasts were more creative and mesmerizing than the real show. When you invite Maiyya, Maia & Mallika Sherawat from tectonic and tinsel towns to gyrate and set the stage alight in your opening post, are you even aware that you are evoking the delight and grandeur of these classic preludes. Someone once told me people don't have more than 20 seconds for you in their life and if you want to extend their attention beyond that gratuitous allotment you must plan for the most spectacular pitch in the first 20 seconds. But you don't even unitize your time to the full and afflict people to swoon in a rhapsody in the theme of AR Rahman in the first 10 seconds. Your opening post is a melody capable of tormenting as earworm if I read it more than 2 times.

knbg, Viswamitra and vaidehi71 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.