Finest Posts - February 2014 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Kamla, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Cheeniya

My dear racr
    Thank you for your third nomination for the month which I am http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/247893-receiving-with-gratitude.html
    Incidentally this is Srama's third Snippet that is getting nominated for the month! When you say that Srama's ' posts are worth their weight in gold,and find their place here', I tell myself how this girl racr knows what is in my mind and utters it even before I open my mouth! I remember Vadivelu's innermost thoughts being conveyed openly by Rajnikanth in 'Chandramukhi'!

This beautiful Snippet of Srama makes me recall a speech that I heard at a Rotary Meeting about people who claim to be self-made. The speaker blew the myth about the concept of 'self made' and asked how could anyone claim to be so. He traced our life from birth and pointed out how starting from our mother at our birth, someone or other played an important role in shaping our lives. It made me very pensive and even feel guilty about how we took these things for granted.

After going through this wonderful Snippet of Srama, I run through my own life thinking of all the help that I have been receiving from time to time till date and feel silly that gratitude was one thing I never felt towards them. I just feel weighed down with shame. And Srama stands tall in my estimation. Feeling gratitude is the hall mark of excellent upbringing.

And just before signing off, I recall the story of Vamana and Mahabali. We all know the story that Vamana sought land measuring just three steps. Mahabali granted it and ended up losing his head for the third step. If we look at any painting of this episode, we would find Mahabali offering his head with folded hands. Obviously he considers himself as the receiver of the Lord's feet on his head and not as the giver of the land. His feeling of gratitude is so palpable in the painting. Whenever I recall Gandhiji's words about expecting anyone to thank us for the help rendered by us that 'We should thank him for giving us an opportunity to be of service to him', I think of Mahabali's feeling of gratitude towards Vamana.
    Sri

3 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear racr,

you know my friend, I really don't know how to thank you not because of the nomination but for being there always and most of all you get it! So thank you for all that and this.

1 person likes this.
  5. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir & Kamla,

I second the nomination of RGS' http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/248400-why-not.html by navs23. It is a very profound dream that RGS experienced and articulated so well. As he rightly pointed out, it is always difficult to remember our dreams. He articulated it so well along with questions he had in his dream and answers he got.

He is definitely an asset to this wonderful forum.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I am sure all of us go through that sense of gratitude sometime or the other in our lives. It so happened that it ended up being a completely emotional day without rhyme or reason and when I put two and two together, well I had that snippet.

That story of Vamana and Mahabali is something we all grow up listening but reading the way you have written, it was very easy for me to imagine that painting. Your words do paint a picture fairly easily! I am sure, I will never look at that painting the same way again.

As always thank you for your very words.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Dear navs & Viswa
    Thank you for nominating RGS's http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/248400-why-not.html which is his fourth thread that is getting nominated this month. And http://www.indusladies.com/forums/snippets-of-life-non-fiction/248400-why-not.html

It is not very often that one gets a dream of this kind. Mine is mostly of dogs chasing me or of missing trains when I was going to attend an important interview. I do dream of trees and the birds sitting on them 'obliging' me in the manner they are accustomed to but never of a Family Tree. RGS has a thinking process that is distinctly different.

About this dream of RGS, I have given my FB in the thread itself as best as I could understand it but it is possible that I was way off the mark. It is the enigma of this thread that makes it fascinating.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  10. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Sack of Rome in 410 CE
    Dark Ages
    Erosion of arts and architecture

The chosen undertakes to restore the glory of the classical age!

Hold on - before you move my post to History forum or suggest one, what parallel to draw? The lady in silhouette may not be overseeing the virtuosity of Bruneschelli's Duomo or planning Uffigi Gallery but this Medicean missy is reviving the grandeur of the forlorn forum bugling her endeavor to swing us all into book reading action. Yes, the petite, gritty and our own Beatrix Potter is gathering momentum, scudding on papyrus of IL, enticing and enrolling members in the book reading club.

I would like to nominate Iswarya's mobilizing effort in http://www.indusladies.com/forums/book-lovers/246520-il-book-club-february-2014-a.html as Finest Contribution of the Month.

There is team work, communal verve entrenched in the thread but every action begins with a plan, stems from a design , incepted from a thought and Ishu's beckoning is no less than Master Medici saying - Lets rise again! (or was that Optimus Prime in Transformers?)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.