Finest Post Winner - May 2022

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Rihana, May 31, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

"The best brains of the nation may be found on the last benches of the classroom."
    ~ APJ Abdul Kalam​

In most of my school years, we were indeed seated by the ranks secured in exams. We sat three to a bench. If the teacher called out the first rank, and it was not my name, I fervently prayed that I would be third, not second. The middle seat of the bench was as unfavored as the middle seat in airplanes. That was my worry as a front-bench student. I now think back to the last-benchers, their dirtier uniforms, worn out shoes, missing school supplies, always getting scolded by the teachers, and wonder just how much of their stories we didn’t know.

Then, there were students who didn't even make it to the last benches of a classroom. There are few things sadder than a child who wants to go to school but can’t and is instead home all day, often with an abusive parent.

The Winner of the Finest Post Award is @maalti for her snippet:
    Selvi

Maalti has a powerful and straight from the heart style of writing. We are honored and privileged to be able to read such snippets.

To quote Maalti herself:

"I have seen and heard so much about little girls abused by their own kith and kin. In some of the cases, the mothers themselves force their children due to utter helplessness. There is one proverb in Tamil "Veliye Payirai Meivathu Pola" meaning, the fence which is intended to protect the crop will itself damage the crop. If the parents who should support and protect their children themselves indulge in such activities, how will the future of such children be?"​

I guess all we can do is find ways to support such children in whatever ways we can.

Thank you @iyerviji and @Viswamitra for nominating and seconding Maalti's snippet.

And as always, thank you to each and every member who nominated, Liked or commented in the FP thread.

ashima10, Amica, Thyagarajan and 11 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@maalti,

Congratulations on winning the finest for the month of May 2022. You brought awareness to a larger audience to look for such children and protect them from abuse. While a drop of tears show our compassion, it is important for us to do much more to save such abused children.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I am glad indeed that a meaningful socially important theme in the post by
    @maalti emerged the winner as FP of May, ‘22. She must be accorded a title such as “short story queen”.

Thanks to @Rihana
    for adjudging
    this story
    as fine

Thanks to nominatior @iyerviji & seconded @Viswamitra .
    Here is a song for celebration:

ashima10, maalti, Swetha52003 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations @maalti and your story brought good message. We read /heard such stories here and there. I really appreciate social workers like protagonist in your story.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hearty Congratulations @maalti !

7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations @maalti for finest post win. Truly inspiring story that would move us to do the best we can on coming across similar situations.

8. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Congratulations Maalti ! Your story left me with a heavy heart. When I read your stories I remember Hemingway’s quotes for writers. “ All you need is write one true sentence, the truest sentence that you know. Cut out the ornamentation .” Your stories are indeed that! Hoping to read more from you !

maalti, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

I think.we all.have memories of our school days. I also have sweet memories of my.school days. I.dont think I ever sat in the last .Till 7th.std I used to go walking to school. Then started going in by best friend's car. We used to.study together
    Before the maths lesson was taught we used to do the sums seeing the example and felt happy when we recd very good or excellent remarks While leaving the school my class teacher bought a new autograph book for me and gave as I could not buy

Glad to know about your school days

maalti and Rihana like this.
  10. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

I am honoured to get such a great review. The power of FP is that it would reach more readers and I consider myself lucky that Selvi has been selected as the FP. Regards

Thyagarajan, Rihana and joylokhi like this.