Finest Post Nominations - July 2021

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Rihana, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Give your hearts, but not into each
    other’s keeping.
    For only the hand of Life can contain
    your hearts.
    And stand together yet not too near
    together:
    For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
    And the oak tree and the cypress grow
    not in each other’s shadow.

- Khalil Gibran

@beautifullife30 has always been a practical poster. She rarely posts but her posts are always to the point and offer practical solutions.

Something so simple and yet something that we are conditioned not to do because we put everyone else’s desires first.
    I’d like to nominate @beautifullife30’s response here for FP.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Rihana, Laks09 and Mistt like this.
  4. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I don't want to miss to read good posts so I have started to put the Finest post nominations thread in the watch threads list after finest post nominating committee formed.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Rihana, Thyagarajan and Laks09 like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana

I know I have exhausted my quota for the month. But I would like to support @Laks09's nomination of @beautifullife30's response Unloving Partner. Some people say, "When in doubt, love more" and she answers the question here by saying, "When in doubt, love yourself". What a practical suggestion to keep one's sanity when dealing with a difficult spouse?

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, it is indeed a post that succinctly states the issue and the change desired. I was mostly browsing IL in read only mode but the lucidity of the post and small details about spending time on embroidery compelled me to respond. I also read there that OP has gone on to take steps towards the change. Nice.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Rihana

Viji pyaara dil (sweet heart) :kissingheart: thank you for nominating this snippet by @sln. It felt so nice to read the light observations of the changes brought about by the pandemic. The descriptions of the maids, cooks, driver, little children, delivery boys and the salon are so vivid that if I close my eyes I can imagine the sights and sounds of India -- the traffic and the hustle and bustle.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Rihana

Viswa, nice to see @sureshmiyer's story The Goods Train - A Short Story nominated. I read it in June and found it to be gripping. Brought back many memories for me too. In particular, how we used to take a chance at the railway crossing and go under the lowered gate instead of waiting till the gate went back up. For those of us on two wheelers, there used to be helpful people who would lift the gate by a few inches so we could duck under it.

Later in the thread, @sureshmiyer has said the story is part fiction and part non fiction ...

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Viswa, thank you for bringing this informative post to FP. @Srama has described the eight limbs of ashtangana yoga so well yet so simply. A neat summary that even a complete newbie to this yoga can understand and also learn how practitioners choose and employ the eight limbs.

I found it intriguing to read that God is referred to only about a couple of times. Intriguing enough to go read up about it a bit: God in Patañjali’s Yoga Sūtra – enigmatic.yoga

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Laks09, Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Rihana,

Thank you for your words. I do consider myself a newbie to yoga, believe it or not. Every time I get on that mat, it is with a clean slate of a mind, like it is my first time doing yoga - that has helped me immensly. It has been a journey of getting on and falling off with the practice and I see no light at the end of the tunnel. Like I mention often, I am simply fortunate to be surrounded by people who are grounded in thier practices and the good influence rubs off on me!

The article you shared was quite informative - yoga indeed could be theistic or aethiestic. Patanjali never intended to speak about god was more interested in man and the true nature of the man (human being). Of all the modern translations/descriptions of the sutras, the simplicity of Pattatbhi jois's "Practice and all is coming" somehow appeals to me - I find that easy and I have never bothered to understand what that 'all' is even. That said, every now and then I come across a student who wants to know more about the sutras, as well some people who argue that yoga is religion based - I realized that it is good to know something :) So i read when I can, putting down as "svadhyaya".

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.