Finest Post Nominations - July 2021

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Rihana, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so much @Viswamitra ji for the kind words! I didn't know what Ashtavadani meant and a quick Google search suggested its Marathi origin- "Capable of applying one's attention in many directions at once."

Thank you for teaching me a new word!

Rihana, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Awesome to see this thread and read the OP! Congratulations, @Rihana! May you be flooded with nominations. And may your July be filled with both happiness and euphoria.

Also, yay for the new "Staff Member" and "Moderator" tags!

PS: Which forum will you be moderating? We need to know where to make trouble. :smilingimp:

Viswamitra, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone.

- Robert Jordan (A memory of light, The wheel of time series).

I’m reminded of this quote today. @Amica comes like the wind, makes her presence knows and then disappears for a time only to reappear again to entice us. When she does come, she leaves pearls of wisdom like this.
    This is such an important tip. To move means getting another lease of life away from the people who involve and interfere and hurt and hurt again even more. Sometimes, staying far far away is the best option!

My second nomination for July.

Amica, Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, earlier today I was reading about the Stoic philosopher, Aristo of Chios. Aristo was sometimes called the challenger because he constantly disputed a lot of the early Stoic doctrine which had practical rules for daily living. The rules were about how to be towards one's family, children, friends, slaves, enemies and how to react in life's situations. Aristo disagreed with the very notion of such rules and instead prescribed the "North Star" of virtue as a general direction, as a bigger guiding principle. That debate is eternal.

You ask why I am rambling about Aristo? : ) Because when I read @nuss' account of her 2021 so far, I thought how though I or other readers may not achieve the same milestones, her post provides a generously adaptable guideline. I remembered the foreign language I've been forever looking into, the whatsapp calls that keep getting postponed from weekend to weekend.

A fine post by @nuss and it pushes me to inject a "just do it already" into my long pending noble to-do's.

Half The Year Is Behind Us, Any Fitness Related Observations?

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, a lovely nomination by you. I Wish... starts on a soothing note and I found that it maintains that tone throughout. The wishes are profound and sometimes larger than life, but then we see the simpler wishes too-- to be a bird, a diary or a shadow.

Now that is giving me an idea for a thread! Which would you wish for - to be a diary or a shadow.

My response would be a shadow.

Well done, @Mistt. A pleasure to behold the poet side of you.

6. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Rihana for your beautiful comments.:smiley:

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  7. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Reply from @Amica Making Friends Later In Life... How To Do That?

"Just as being single is better than being in a bad marriage, finding yourself in a toxic friendship is way worse than spending time alone. "

and

"Once you get to Florida, interview all potential contacts over coffee in a public setting. Be selective; you're going to be stuck with the chosen few for a long while. Bring a checklist and make notations discreetly. This way, they'll know you mean business and aren’t just window shopping."

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Frankly, I only taught a new word but you teach me a lot more through your posts. I was floating in pride for volunteering in the Hospice and for teaching morals to the children at local as well as at national level, but what you do quietly in your spare time despite busy schedule is simply amazing.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Right here @Amica. I mean @Rihana will be a moderator for FP section. You arrived on the same day when Elsa arrived but your speed was fascinating than hurricane Elsa. But you make your presence felt with a happy face.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Amica like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, @Laks09! :)

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.