Finest Nominations By The Nominating Committee For November 2020

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Cheeniya, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Separate thread opened under Index

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Rihana and Laks09 like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Like I was saying in the last month's thread, I am reading posts more closely now that I have the handsome task of nominating 6 posts. While doing so, I realized that there are some members who post often, start threads or post in many threads with useful contributions, but their contributions don't happen to fall under the typical Finest Post set of characteristics. Such posts provide the gravy and much needed structure to other posts and to threads. One such member is @SuiDhaaga. Her posts elicit interesting responses from others.

She started a thread on the recent horrifying experience of some women travelers in an airport in Doha. In addition to starting threads, @SuiDhaaga follows up with responses that keep the thread going. I am choosing one post by her from that thread for my first nomination this month as nominating an entire thread is not allowed.
    How Can Women Protect Themselves When Traveling - Or Should They Just Stay Home

If not for this thread, I would not have given so much thought to the event and dismissed it as something that happens to women in those countries.

Mistt, Viswamitra and SuiDhaaga like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Rihana likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I am here to nominate @Caughtinbetween's suggestion to reduce the stress level of young mothers. Stressed All The Time. When I read that thread, I realized how well @Caughtinbetween is managing her time when the demand comes from work, childcare, etc.

Rihana and Caughtinbetween like this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you Uncle :)

Rihana likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

My second nomination for the month is this post by @Bubbles :
    Balancing Kids And Work At Home With No Help

It is filled with so many simple to implement yet powerful suggestions for women who are trying to balance work, kids, home and more in this Covid time. The post is one of those where you start to look for which parts to highlight as the ones that stand out the most, and you end up quoting the entire post.

The lines below are from the post. These or an equivalent should be a prayer-poem ode-to-self that every busy mother puts on her mirrors, fridge, cell phone cover, next to the stove and as computer screensaver:

On really tough days, I would insist on someone giving me a hand-written version. In cursive writing.

8. Rihana

My third nomination is this post on politics and elections in America by @Laks09 :
    Chatter And Banter - Politics In North America

I always like to read Laks' posts on this topic (and any other too!). Her firsthand experience as a volunteer of Indian-origin brings a rare perspective to the information and opinions in her posts on American politics. Many times reading her posts saves me a lot of reading elsewhere, and I easily appear as well-informed at the dinner table in my home. : )

I was looking for a post by Laks from that thread to nominate (there are many worth nominating) and chose this as I learned so much from it! Not the least -- thanks to the description there, if I ever move to Texas, I will go about voting like a resident who's lived there for years. : ) I wanted to nominate it in October itself, but the elections had me so nervous and jittery that only now I can do the nomination justice.

Laks09 and Mistt like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the nomination Rihana. This nomination comes as a pleasant surprise and a silver lining. I feel like I did something right. This lifts my spirits greatly. You are awesome!

All the volunteers went to bed on election night feeling defeated. I was called a baby killer and a communist to my face while poll greeting. Despite shouting from roof tops about the down ballot dems, they all lost. All of them were likened to AOC who is here to make the country communist and of course baby killers. These guys couldn’t stick to their merits, they had to demonize their opponents - all women. I’m tired of going high when the opponents are low blowing our qualified women. I’m contemplating what to do henceforth.

Viswamitra and Rihana like this.