1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Financial issues w/IL's....need advice

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sarithag, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sarithag

sarithag New IL'ite

Hi All Ladies,

I need some advice from u all.I'll try to keep the story short.

I got married 4 1/2 yrs. back.DH is very very good person.The problem is w/IL's asusally.Ofcourse even they are not such horrible persons,its all about money.

Ok coming to the point,my DH's family is poor before he started working.His parents got him educated by selling there farm lands.He is very intelligent and got a campus job while doing masters.So, he started sending money to his parents from his stipend, after the joining the job
    he continued the process..no savings for himself until we got married.before getting married he worked for 5 yrs.(2yrs. in India and 3 yrs. in US)so in total from 9 1/2 yrs. he is employed.Before marriage itself he gave all the money to his parents and they bought 4 acre farm lands for themselve and around 2 1/2 to there daughter who is married around 16 yrs. back and had a 15 yr son.They were also poor and she is tailor in a village and her hubby is a school bus driver.My DH also sent money to get a house constructed for them which they did very luxurily in a pakka village where there is no proper bus facility and people go by autos in to the village.(spent 10lakhs in 2003-04)they built the verandh floor w/granite and ofcourse my DH dont ask abt all the expenses they were doing and FIL and MIL are uneducated and do the farm work.So the bank account is in the name of SIL's hubby.DH sends money to his account and he draws the money and give to IL's.DH will call in-laws and tell them abt. the amt. he had send.They had made lot of gold for themselves both MIL and SIL before our marriage itself.After marriage MIL had made bangles with 10gms.And I don't have any interrest on her gold in future also.I know all that will go to her daughter only after her.Coming to my FIL, he is very luxory person but MIL will not give sons money to him and gives to SIL only so this old fellow keeps doing debts in the village and spend on luxories.Before marriage FIL donated 1L to the temple in there village for dvajasthabam (in telugu they say that )(the rod which stands before the idols in the temple)so that festival in temple was done 1 week after our marriage and we have to sit before the god coz we donated large amt. and the rest all from funds which have been collected by FIL in the nearby villages.Ofcourse that is very good that we had done such a good thing in the life.Only very few people get such a chance doing such gr8 thing for the temple.DH also gave money to SIL's hubby to purchase a tractor for there living as he is a driver(ard. 4Lks.).He sold that tractor and bought another car and rented it out for another company after that it faced an accident.ok this is all past before our marriage.

DH stayed 6 yrs. in US.3 yrs. before marriage and 3 yrs. after.before we coming back to india my FIL commited suside attempt.Ofcourse he survived,the reason is so stupid.he want to buy plots in the nearby city and DH dont want to.and strangely DH and FIL never talk to each other.DH dont like his father all the communication they have is thru MIL.
    Even after our marriage DH sent lot of money from US for there farm land investments and to take care of themselves to IL's.But we never know about the profits in it.I know they give all of that to SIL.As I told DH will never ask them abt. the expenses they were doing, and ,there in US we dont eat any thing and do all the houseworks by ourselves and save all the money and send here.This is what people do here.

Ok finally after coming back from US we came to know that FIL has debts for 3L in 2005-06 which he donated to temple and he didnot even tell to his son or wife(thats wht she was saying).And adding the interest it came to 5L.coz of his suside attempt everybody started knocking the door and asking for there money after DH.don't know wht they have done with all the money sent from US.DH is very quite and easy going guy.
    He cleared all the debts w/o saying anything (just a small argument but nobody cared for him).And he gave the farm lands to other people for cultivation and they give money anually once after there profit.and DH was giving 5000rs./month for there expenses.MIL saves in that also and give to the daughter.This yr. again they were asking their son that they want to do the farm lands by themselves coz outside people spoiling were spoiling the lands.If they have to do again they will ask DH for intial expenses on the land like to buy fertilizers etc.. and they don't even tell abt. the profit.Ofcourse DH will not ask abt. that.

Apart from all this my SIL' son had just now completed 10th std. and going to join XI-std. That dumb idiot got only 350/600 in X.and they were planning to join him in a reputed college spending 50k rs./annum in hostel.I guess IL's want to help them with money again.Which is going to be alot for us now as we are living in India and DH is not earning lakhs and lakhs here.coz of recession the company reduced the salary also, living in a rented house with one person income and I am staying at home with my son..not going to any job.We have to join my son in a school,now he is 2 1/2 yrs. we want to join him next yr. and u all know how expensive good schools are in a metro.we stay in chennai.donations ,admission fees etc. etc..

DH doesn't like FIL doing farm lands but he is not able to come out stronly and I told him if u cant tell allow me to tell that to them.Finally,this is what DH told to me "Play your role,not more than that" and " dont make family issues as a business".I was stuck hard by his words.I was thinking abt. my family..and this wht he had told me.

Otherthan this (IL's issue)he is very good person.buys me whatever I want.Spends alot on my kid and me and he never gets anything for himself.Even IL's are OK with me ofcourse I never stay with them only for 1 week or 10 days with my kid.MIL does all the household work,I'll just help a lil bit.Even though they talk abt. something I just don't care.And we never invited them to our house coz my DH doesn't like them to come here.May be he is scared that there will be fights b/w us.Even during mydelivery In US we didnot invite them not even my parents.I was alone w/DH for my delivery and he helped me alot.

Ok what should I do now just let DH do whatever he wants?
    please advice.I was not able to sleep coz of this.I am scared until now we lost alot and I dont want lose anymore otherthan IL's family maintainance

2. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

Your husband is a very intelligent man ... as he said dont interfere in family issues... he is right about that... Yes it is your family.... yes you want to be heard... but you dont know the family (or they dont know you) well enough to take your words in the right spirit...

Even though I have a mostly good relationship with my DH's family members, when it comes to financial stuff, I just tell my feelings to DH he conveys them in the right words... it works better for all that way...

I can understand your concerns about your FIL's expansive nature and your SIL's son's studies which seems to form your DH's responsibilities...

FIL's investments in farmlands etc will give good returns, moreover your SIL's DH is a farmer so they know what they are doing... Your SIL's son's education will be the mama's job if only because he is "earning better" than the parents... Do evaluate his interests and aptitude and suggest proper courses for the kid... (Think of it as charity in the form of education... but ensure that the kid will actually study and if he earns well later in life, he should return the money or pass it on to someone needy like himself!!!)

Because there are too many factors out of your direct control - Your husband may be able to control them - what you need is to accept the fact that your life and what you need out of it will not be affected by your husbands responsibilities.

For that, I would suggest you to go through this article Complete Financial Planning - IndusLadies

Once you make the calculations and understand that you wont be affected, you will be more happy.

Also, ensure that there are some investments and insurance in your and your child's name so that you feel secure.

All the best
    Harini

3. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Sarita,

I am sorry but I do not see why you have to refer to your SIL's son as a "dumb idiot". You do not know how or why the boy scored low marks in his public exam but abusing him and calling him names reflects very badly on you. If you have an issue with his grandparents (your ILs) or his parents (SIL & her husband), then you should only talk about them, but you have no right to abuse this teenaged boy who has never harmed you in any way.

With regard to the rest of your post, you have a valid concern about spending huge amounts of money on DH's family when your own family has a financial issue. But you should approach your husband carefully. He is obviously an intelligent and capable man and he will know how to handle his family issues. Moreover, just the fact that he has already obliged by not inviting his parents to come to the US when you were here, despite his parents not being evil, abusive people, when he could have easily done so, shows that he has some consideration for your feelings (regardless of whether they are right or wrong) as well.

So, stay out of their family affairs and let your husband handle it. He will know what to do.

4. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I think you should allow your DH to handle the issue.Me and my DH have been in such situations but I always stay out of money matters involving my DH family because we don't know what his family has sacrificed for his education/career.My DH has 9 siblings and my he is last 10th kid. 2 of his sisters are not financially sound so we all try to pitch-in for money as much as we can.My DH had huge debt before I married him which he mentioned clearly when we met each other.Sometimes it doesn't feel right when you give lot of money to help people who have not directly helped us.But we don't know what everybody has gone through during childhood days to support each other.And also calling somebody dumb is not good.
    The financial commitment is one of the major reasons we are staying in US.we want to support the sisters atleast their kids finish college.
    Just my own experience.

Thanks
    Mangau

5. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

Good for you Mangai!! I am proud to know you. I have always felt that we should stick to our families (by blood or marriage doesnt matter!) And education is one charity that makes the life of not only the person who studies but also his own family, descendents and extended family....

I know of a guy who just completed college, lost his father (and related property due to father's brothers) and had his mom and younger sister dependent on him. One acquaintance lady (not even friend!!) gave him 50000 and sent him for a course.... By age 24, he was already working abroad and went back to give this lady the money... You know what she said??!?! She said "Pass it on to someone who needs it" ... This guy had tears in his eyes when he narrated the story to me....

I think we need more people in this world who just "passes it on"

6. sarithag

sarithag New IL'ite

Hi all ladies,

Thanks for the advie.
    I am sorry for the boy.I don't mean to say such words abt. him.He is always nice to me and never said anything wrong abt. me.Its all abt. IL's..so that anger reflects on him.But my intention is not to spend that much on +1 and +2 and anyway u have to pay donations to join him in graduation.so we are telling them to join him as a dayscholar and pay donations for graduations so lil money can be saved,as the boy is acdemecally poor.They were not listening to us.Even I want to help them but only to lil extent not completely,which is out of our control.
    We had booked an appt. here in Chennai and have to pay EMI's.

Anyway, thanks for all the advices and I'll try not to interfere in this issue anymore.

7. sarithag

sarithag New IL'ite

:-(Hi Malyatha,
    After u pointing it out,I felt very bad.I don't usually say bad words abt. people.But I am very irritated ,the expenses will be b'coz of him and if he studied well it might be lesser expensees comparitively.We can donate to people who are good at studies and do well in future.I can't guarantee that on this boy.otherthan studies,he is very good boy socially.