1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Financial Independence For Woman

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Desiindian, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

Hi ILS,

Many women work and earn money but, when it comes to spending money for their FOOs as gifts on occasions or as monetary benefits during tough times, we are expected to get to know that DH has no issues on it. In some cases, women even wait to get permission. Husband expect wife to stay transparent in money matter, particularly wife giving her hard earned money to her family in times of need. They make a big fuss out of this. Let’s see the same case, other way . Husband helping his FOOs, wife doesn’t get to know anything till she herself finds out. If questioned, mostly the answer would be “who should give me permission to help my family?” and “why should I tell you “. So where is the financial independence for working women. I have seen and heard such things in my own family and outside the family. Why is it so?

ILs, What does financial independence for a woman after marriage mean according to you ? How you handled such situations?

joylokhi and KashmirFlower like this.

2. Rhino

Rhino New IL'ite

It means, both the earnings, yours and your DH, to be pooled and kept open in your bedroom cash box
    and do not lock, the cash box, both of you are entitled to use it, whenever, for whatever purpose, but
    with the knowledge of the other. Follow the God's standard, for using the money earned by both of you,
    after all, whatever, both are earning is because God has given you both Wisdom, knowledge, understanding
    good health, transport facilities and so on. Thank God for everything (I mean for all the blessings he has
    showered upon you both). Analyse and evaluate, once in a year (probably end of the year), whether both
    of your have been following the God's standard, during the entire year. Improve every year, come closer
    to following God's standard of earning and spending money, for you and your families, friends and others in
    need. This is according to me.

Desiindian and vaidehi71 like this.
  3. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

In Olden days, only men used to earn and women used to manage home. So men were the main bread earners and head of the families. Women used to depend on their husbands financially. Generations changed, now women also equally earning with their husbands, but still the mindsets are same as olden days, now also in our society husband is the head of the family even though wife earns equally with him. That's how our society is build up. But slowly things are changing there are men who give financial freedom to their wives.

Also, I have seen some wives objecting their husbands to help his parents (who are completely dependent on their son). There are some men who secretly help his parents without the knowledge of his wife to avoid fights with wife.

So we should not strike out the fact that there are some dominating women who controls their husband and his financial freedom.

Overall there are good & bad men, also good & bad women. Only thing needed in a marriage is understanding. If there is understanding between the couple, then financial and other issues doesn't matter.

4. APS45

APS45 Silver IL'ite

Your comments make me laugh!

Can you guess, how many working men I know of where they have to get their daily allowance from their ""Homemaker" wife, how many of them don't even carry their purse when stepping out along with their wife, they are not allowed to spend anything on their own? For some women, it seem very convenient to put everything as men vs women issue, so convenient to blame men for every damn thing happening around them and in this society. If you ask working men, how much the contribution of their working wife towards big purchases, EMI etc, they will tell a different story; significant size of men are looked as literally an ATM machine by their family; majority of the working women tend to keep significant amount for themselves, a choice that does not exist for men.

Please open up, breath some fresh air. The issue is not between men vs women; it is between good vs bad, weak vs dominant, responsible vs irresponsible, generous vs selfish, law abiding vs crooked, and so on. You can find all these flavors in both gender, primarily depend on how they brought up by their parent, the values and culture taught and roll modeled by their parent, and the environment they have grown up. Nothing gender about this.

5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Rightly said. Its the flavors and not the gender.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why do the women wait? Why do they put up with such restrictions even though working and earning? To an extent, women are themselves responsible for their situation. If they fear rocking the boat, and toe the line for peace at home, that is a choice. And, marrying the man and into such a family, is a choice.

If one or two issues are picked out and examined, it might look lopsided towards one gender. But overall, things tend to balance out. Men are expected to be primary providers, and any departure from that, such as plans to take a long gap between jobs, are subject to more scrutiny than if the woman wants to do so. Just one example.

Desiindian likes this.
  7. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Simple.

Make more money.

Practical advice?

Chart the boundaries before getting into the relationship. Learn to be assertive and unafraid in pointing out the hypocrisy.

Desiindian, Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  8. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Also, if you're dining out, go Dutch or pay the tab on your turn. That's another way of expressing your financial independence.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

After marriage?

10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Why would I do that? If I have bought "him" with my inheritance money? :wink1:

livingitup likes this.