1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Finally...... I gave up !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Custard, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello every one,

I wanted to write this some time back, but since I have never started a thread in the snippets forum, I was hesitant. Anyway, I'm happy that I'm writing it finally - just the way I gave it up finally!:thumbsup Well, I'm not taking about the way I gave up in an argument with my mom or my best friend nor am I taking about quitting smoking or drugs! :biglaugh

This is something more important to me, but that I had given up now for an important - life saving reason. Something on which my life used to depend, that is my health, my heart, (even my soul - may be!); something that made me smile :), laugh and gave the feeling of satisfaction; something that used to serve as a boon during my travel to distant places or even to my friends' places; something that used to calm my mind when I'm irritated:idea.

The very thought of its name would bring in a smile on my face. But then I gave up. *Yes* I gave up just after visiting the websites - PETA India and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA): The animal rights organization (before clicking on the sites, kindly finish reading my post! and do click).

Wondering (or may be irritated) about what I gave up? Well I gave up eating my loving "Thayir Satham" (Curd Rice):biggrin2:!!! Yes, those who love curd rice will agree with all that I said above.:exactly:

My friends used to make fun, as all that I want even during Party lunch was just Curd Rice! :crazy
    I really used to feel that I can survive by having curd rice alone the whole day. I can live without any other food but not curd rice.

I was born into a non-vegetarian family, then during late childhood, turned to a Vegetarian and have always felt happy about it(the same way all Vegetarians feel) as I believed that it involved no cruelty towards animals. I never used leather or fur and enjoyed paneer and butter, bakery cakes with eggs in them and loved pizzas - loaded with cheese..... One fine day I saw this site in "The Hindu" and just like that, clicked on it.

To my horror:hide:, I found so many things that none of us are aware of and then, *realised* that eating eggs in the form of cakes is nothing less than eating eggs. I decided that curd rice can no more give me happiness, its only going to sadden me, every time I eat it. I wish this realisation came much earlier. Though I gave up eating curd rice the very next day, it took me at least 3 days to cope with the change.
    Some of the videos on those sites ("Meat your meat", "Chew this on", Whose Skin are you in", etc.) motivated me in the right direction. The pictures showing the plight of Cows in India, made me strong.

However, as days passed by, I could feel the side effects of being a Vegan :

Satisfaction that I'm doing the right thing; doing my bit to fight Global Warming :thumbsup
    My Knowledge got widened.
    Feel Good that I dint steal any mother's milk.
    My Self Esteem got enhanced.
    Real Happiness - that can only be experienced but I have tried my best to share it with you all here!:cheers

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

2. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Wow custard great job!! becoming a vegan is very hard. Being a vegetarian I think we get a lot of proteins and calcium, from milk, yogurt etc. how do you manage to get that. also with coffee or tea no milk? that must be hard.. i cant imagine becoming a vegan... hats off to u
    aparna

3. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Wow Custard !

Going Vegan is a great achievement ! :thumbsup Kudos to you !

I cannot think of giving up dairy products. though i have also seen some gut wrenching videos on how cows are subjected to much cruelty in order to extract more milk from them. I always decieve myself that the milk we get in India is from some nice "go-shala" where the cows are treated in the traditional Indian way with kindness and respect !

Its wonderful to learn that you have reaped such rich benefits of Satisfaction, Self Esteem and Real Happiness, as a result of your brave decision.

(BTW, Custard , any plans to change your user -id to a more Vegan one ?:) - just kidding, yaar !)

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Custard,
    Hats off to your 'giving up' on milk products.
    After looking at your side-effects, it seems it is very positive.

I am ok with the vegeterian part..but to be a vegan on my part...still I am on the calculating thing...
    I have the same doubts as Aparna...what changes you had made regarding the calcicum and protein intakes.

sriniketan

5. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Custard my :bowdown to you for becoming a vegan.... its really hard to resist curd rice....

and I am sure that you have achieved the Real Happiness... kudos to you my dear....

Sandhya

6. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Aparna,

Thanks for your first feed back! There are always alternatives and you will only be surprised that there are healthy substitute for every dish.:thumbsup We now use Soya Milk. I dint like it with Tea, so I have started to have black tea with Jaggery (since sugar uses animal bone charcoal to refine it! I was completely ignorant of this factor!)

Flavoured Soya Milk is really yummy !:thumbsup Thats rich in protein plus calcium. Infact Cow's milk is not good for us. Just check this
    Milk Sucks!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello TubeLight,

I'm very happy to see you here. Becoming Vegan is not that difficult, with so many resources on the net. Ofcourse the first few days.... to get adjusted.... is a bit hard.Looks like you have already seen videos and I'm sure one day to will be into Veganism soon. :thumbsup

And my user i.d it wiil be same but will now refer to Vegan custard (made with non-dairy milk!) :biggrin2:

8. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Sriniketan,

Thanks for your comments
    . The truth is that the protein in the milk interferes with the calcium in milk and we actually do not get the calcium in cows' milk as we think. Soy milk is rich in protein and calcium but it does not contain the animal protein that our body cant digest well. You too please visit Milk Sucks!

We are all adults at home, so we only use Soya Milk now, other alternatives are Rice Milk (if you are in US, in India we dont get), Almond Milk, Coconut milk. Any food stuff should not be taken in excess, so does soya. I suggest maximum 2 glass per day.

And if we understand the important factor that cow too produces milk only for its kids, its easy to stop milk products. I and probably many of us think that cow produces more milk than necessary and thats why human takes from it!

9. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Sandhya,

Thank you so much for the feed back!

10. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear custard,

Wow. It is great to take and keep such decisions. hats off to you.

i am a strict veggi and for about two years I gave up taking milk or any milk based items. ( in our family it is the custom to give up milk for anything you pray to god ). I didnt find any difficulty except doctors adviced to take protien and calcium inthe form of medicines.

ganges