1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fil Tries To Attack Me

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shygirl2016, Jul 14, 2017.

1. shygirl2016

shygirl2016 New IL'ite

MIL and FIL were arguing in outside kitchen. Alot of yelling, screaming and name-calling going on. I was feeding my 1 year old inside the house but he kept looking outside because of all the noise. I walked up to the door and firmly asked FIL to lower his voice because DS isn't eating but constantly looking outside to see them. FIL just lost it at me and starting verbally abusing me like crazy (all in front of my 1 year old son). he said 'You shut up stupid girl. You are the problem, you ruined my family' I was very affirmative and asked him not to speak to me like that. He just kept cursing me telling me not to raise my voice or he will bash me up. I quickly locked the door and told him i will call the police if he ever tried. Then he started walking up to the door, tried to open it and realised i locked it. Then he started banging on the door yelling "i'm going to kill you, i'm going to kill you. MIL came and started pushing him back telling him to control himself. She was really holding him back.
    I was watching them and suddenly i realised what a messed up and dysfunctional family this is. I open the door and asked him to come kill me. I just wanted to be free from the abuse and misery all these years. FIL started looking for a knife and tried coming towards me. MIL was really holding him back and yelling for my husband to come. My husband finally came and both DH and MIL yelling at FIL. They told me to go back in the house and lock the door. FIL was just abusing me calling me 'bloody b**** and i ruined his family'. He kept screaming 'IHATE YOU! IHATE YOU!' He told me to get the f*** out of this house.

We stayed there a few days and came to my mums house. DH is living in between the two houses.

A week later my FIL had a minor heart attack (3 blocked arteries). DH feels really guilty and wants to go there. I told him to go, but also said you can support your parents and not physically be there. H works longs hours and doesn't get home till late. He first gave me the option to either continue staying at my parents house or go and rent somewhere. he said he will manage his time by living in 2 places. I said this not good for DS, i only reason i wanted to move out is we can finally be a family. Then he asked me to come stay with him at his parents house. I said i will think about it. Then i agreed okay i will go. I asked him if it is still okay to go on a holiday as we planned in 6/7 weeks time(so we can still have family time) and the look on his face just changed. I think his dad will recover alot as his surgury is in a few days, but the look in H eyes was disgust towards me. Have I asked something wrong?
    H and I never had any alone time before having baby and even after baby he always wants to stay home and be with his mum n dad. W hardly have any family time.

I understand that my FIL is going through health issues, I even took my DH to hospital but don't really feel welcome. FIL will be staying home and not be able to return back to work. I work part-time. I'm scared of the days i will be alone with at home. Both FIL and I can't stand eachother.

I used to be a doormat in that house. Never talked back. But now things have changed, i have a son now. I don't my my child to see me weak and as a pushover and that why i stick up for myself and speak up for myself. I have to have my own back in that house. My IL's don't like the change in me because they can't control me anymore. I think they are trying to turn H against me aswell. H also brought up getting a divorce if i can't support him through this tough period.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Wow Op, that's such a verbally abusive Fil you put with up with till now! Applaud you on the change, high time you did that! If your Dh let you go through all this for years, then you shd be divorcing him & not him you!! Anyways , that is woulda, coulda,shoulda.. You shd tell Dh that it is not advisable that you stay with Fil because he just had a heart attack & his blood boils just by your presence, not because you don't want to be with him..also,tell him what if he actually chases you again with a knife? Does he want his father in jail?(not that you would be harmed!) .. it's sad & unbelievable how women have to play it this way to convince husbands instead of for wife's benefit!!

Sunshine04 and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Please take a break from the IL and husband maybe, I assume you have parental support. This is beyond ridiculous . Under no circumstances, go back and stay with the IL's. What's to say that the FIL won't try to attack you again ?

deepthyanoop and Naari like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Don't go back to that house. Stay with your parents or rent a place and live there. Call your husband's bluff.

deepthyanoop, guesshoo and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

This was wrong.
    But otherwise everything you did is correct

6. Hansa78

Hansa78 Bronze IL'ite

Since your DH has given you a option of staying in your parents house or renting out, I don't see any reason for you to go back and stay in a place where your life is at a threat.
    I think you need to think more about yourself and your son at this point of time. You can rent out a place near your parents house, so your DS gets the affection of the other family members. What a family needs is quality time than quantity time. .Even if your DH spends little time, it's fine as long as he is happy and affectionate towards the lil one rather than spending hours together in an abusive environment.

About holiday, I think ur family has gone through lot of trauma... so give everyone a bit of time so things come back to normal. Definitely, you need a break after going through all this so plan small little things with ur son and enjoy. Don't expect ur DH to be a part of it..

AKRITII

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I think your dh is overwhelmed, thus the reaction n divorce talks. No matter how bad the parents are, a kid is still expected to be there for them. Since your dh is already very attached, you can't change it now. So it's better if you give him some breather and let him focus on his dads health n recovery, first.

Do not ever go back to that house. What will you do if you n your fil are alone in the house without mil or dh n he tries to attack you with a knife? Who will stop him n protect you?

What if he gets another heart attack while attacking you? You will be blamed for it.

Naari's point of stating that your presence may cause your fil more harm due to his health issue is a good point that you can use.

Rent a house right next to your in laws house because your dh would anyway be forced to see them everyday. If you are atleast close by, his commute reduces n that time can be spent with you.

Disgust look about the holidays, For you, you just want to spend time as a family. But for him, 'his beloved fathers life is at stake and you are talking about fun vacation. Do you really not have a heart?' How would you feel about a vacation if your mom or dad were in that situation? Good or bad, they are still his parents, nothing changes that.

You taking your stand is always a good thing.

For now, focus on your son Only. Give your dh some break to sort out his parents health n house. Support him from your rented or parents house. You don't have to see your in laws for now.

Sunshine04 and Naari like this.
  8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op,Your FIL is dangerous and can hurt you or your baby.If he came to you with a knife, he has crossed all barriers. Use this incident as a free pass and run. If he didn't do something to you he has the capability of hurting you physically in the process atleast. If he does it to you, he can harm your kid too. You cant excuse such behavior once something happens. What if you had kept your room door open.

Your husband just wants to push everything under the rug and say its fine. The fact is his dad can mean harm. For him it may not mean anything , what happens if something happened to you when he is not there.Seeing him working long hrs I think you are left to your own devices the entire day. What happens if you are alone.

Do not say you will go back. If hubby has to shuttle b/n houses so be it. But atleast you are safer in your own house. Stay with your parents and tell hubby you will not come to IL's. Visiting him in hospital is fine. But just visit . No staying. Don't commit to anything. Tell hubby you don't feel safe and you don't want to live with in laws.Cut to the point.

Don't come into FIL apologizing. Its the oldest trick in the book. The apology lasts until you go back. After that its back to their old behavior. Do not come into IL's must have realized , they are old, cant manage all those things becoz IL's must have realized that fact too not only you.Good Luck.

9. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

op, live far away from your in laws.

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Never go back to live in your in-laws' house. Visiting is fine if you want to. Timing of your question regarding vacation was wrong. Tell your husband to forget that you asked and take care of fil for now. When he becomes healthy you both can decide.
    Take a house close to in-laws or office for rent so that travel time can be reduced.

deepthyanoop and Sandycandy like this.