1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fights With Husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Shivika992, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Shivika992

Shivika992 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am having difficulty in relationship with my husband. He is very over protective about me in everything and this is leading to me feeling suffocated.. after lockdown I was not allowed to go to my work. I have my own business so my husband said you can handle from home as you don’t have to report to anyone. Many times we had fight about this. We aren’t married for long and in lockdown I have started learning to cook... I knew how to do everything in kitchen before marriage but never took much interest in cooking and so didn’t have practice. Now whenever I am going in kitchen he will tell me don’t touch this don’t cut like that.. mother in law also will then add to it and say don’t do this and that. Again I have had a fight about this with husband. Already except for taking care of my room I have no responsibility In the house. I feel suffocated with this behaviour. How should I handle this situation?

2. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Shivika,

This sounds like my DH too. I had to fight for my space. Mostly he does it out of love, but sometimes I think he doesn't understand the boundaries very clearly. Sometimes it is enjoyable and sometimes it is suffocating. I am still learning how to tackle this even after 10 years of marriage. What I learned is let him know what i am going to do and what part he needs to do. Once he knows this, he usually do not interfere too much. but it is not possible to plan everything in advance. I know once we had a huge fight about a similar situation and he told me "may be I don't need to protect you anymore" or something like that. I try to find a balance between all these. Not easy. I think about "is this something I can let go or something I need to fight?" and go from there. I tell him occasionally that I am an individual and i have my own reasoning and let me fight my fights and help me when needed, not always. He listens sometimes and sometimes not.

Shivika992 and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. Lonla

Lonla New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am new to the club. With 13 years of troublesome torturous toxic relationship with husband l am still unsure how this would go in future. Just want relaxing air to breathe in.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shivika,
    You are a newly wed! Use your time to develop a close bond with your DH. It's great that you do not have responsibilities in the house and that someone is cooking for you. Do things that really matter instead of making regular household chores a power struggle. Those things will come your way in due course. Do things that really matter during this lockdown. Develop common interests with your spouse(reading similar books, watching shows together etc). The kitchen can wait. You have your entire lifetime to pick up on responsibilities.

Vaikuntha, Sinant and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I don't think she is very excited about getting into the kitchen, but is forced to, especially if ILs are involved. Also, with lockdown one cannot go out if they want to snack or eat something different other than usual stuff.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We don't know more than what you have shared, but it seems like your H and MIL are infantilizing you.

infantilize: treat someone as a child or in a way which denies their maturity in age or experience.

Maybe their intentions are well-meant but this does not give you enough opportunity to belong to the family, to take small/big decisions for yourself and to have a say in the kitchen etc.

The not going to business place should ideally be a decision you both take together, and which can be revisited as needed. Your H should not get to decide by himself or have a greater say in the decision. The whole Covid situation is unprecedented, so leave this battle for now.

The kitchen thing - go about it tactfully. Maybe, say that you want to try a new recipe for a snack you are making for yourself first before making others have it. Somehow work towards getting some alone-time in the kitchen to prepare a dish that others are not yet going to have. Like this, you can start to show them that the kitchen is now as much yours as theirs.

If I were you, while in the kitchen, I would switch around some daals and masalas in the cabinets. Well, not really, but the temptation would be high.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Angela123 likes this.
  7. gayababu

gayababu New IL'ite

even after married for 18 years , same in my case too. so no need worry u will have ur own portion when time comes. u will come to learn things by yourself. talk to ur mil and try to do things together. everything will fall inplace one day. so enjoy this phase of life. soon u will become really busy. bye.
    regards, gayathri

8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

i think he is right about the business part. it is not a hidden fact, that covid spread is not reducing. it is better to be safe .

kitchen he needs to back off. MIL is whole other story, :) .

9. Sweety2019

Sweety2019 Silver IL'ite

Hi shivika
    I guess I can understand your situation, because I have been in a similar situation..

Just let me know if I am right, you feel the need to go to your business is because you are feeling trapped at the place you are..right now for you your office feels like a safe place to be who you are.. If that is the case I totally encourage you to take a few hours for yourself on a daily, to concentrate on yourself.. Eg: if you have a extra room just stay there and work..or go on to the terrace walk around listen to songs.. due to the pandemic it is better to keep yourself safe first..

Even I feel that way most times..so now a days I stopped feeling bad about what if they judge me..if I need to be sane at this point I have to be alone sometimes and can't always follow everyone's routine.. learnt it the hard way..

Next coming to the point of them being very knit picky..well it can be they are concerned..but trust me same thing happened to me, my mil never allowed me to do certain things even if I adapted to do it her way..I thought oh so sweet she is concerned about me.. oh my I was Wrong!! She filled my husband's ears that I don't do anything I don't chip in blah blah...
    And this happened repeatedly..and many more things that led to my depression..
    So my suggestion would be just do whatever you have to and want to.. and inform your husband that you are doing so and so.. and if he says don't do this way or that..just say..let me try it my way..if it screws up atleast I will know what to do next time and that you need your space..

As lavani said mil is whole another story..just take your stand before you loose yourself.. otherwise you will ruin the most crucial and happiness of being a newly wed couple (saying from experience)

Shivika992 likes this.
  10. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

If your area is not seeing a large spike, there would have been nothing with going to your business if you maintained proper measures.
    In these days, pandemic is more of an excuse for psychotic control freaks to attempt to control others.

There are spouses who throw a hissy fit even if their spouse goes for a walk, they want them indoors 24/7 to "stay safe"

shama146 and Sweety2019 like this.