Fertility - Egg Freezing For Later Use

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by madras2018, May 21, 2016.

1. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies

Have any of you any experience with freezing eggs in light of fertility options to use later (2 or more yrs later) ? Has it worked for you ? Was it in India Or elsewhere?

Please note this question is not about experience with IUI or IVF. I am specifically asking about experience with freezing eggs.

I'm lookin at this option as realistically I may be in a situation to have a child only 2 or more yrs from now. And I wld want to retain my eggs thru freezing possibly next few months so I have some viable options.

Hope you can share any FIRST HAND experience.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Egg freezing is still a relatively new option, so I don't know if you will get many replies from people who have done it and subsequently used the frozen eggs.
    The chances of success are best if you are in your twenties, or under 30. As with IVF the older one is the less the rates of success. However frozen embryos are supposed to have a better success rate than frozen eggs, so most responsible RE's will caution you about that. Also make sure that your clinic is using the vitrification process for freezing,which has the best outcomes. You can contact the clinics directly and ask for their statistics: they should be able to tell you the percent of live births that result from frozen eggs for each age group.
    Wish you all the best.

Agony and pinkydarling like this.
  3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Do you mean egg freezing through IVF? I don't know if something else is there.
    In my last IVF Clinic, they used to freeze the extra embryos for future. Once the current cycle turns positive and you deliver successfully, you can either continue to reserve the eggs for another year or two and then use it in a frozen IVF cycle. Though i don't have hands on experience on this directly or through friends, i can provide you success provided the freezing process is done well for those two years and the quality of embryo is good.

For some people, frozen cycle used to be done even after 6 months if the situations are not god for embryo transfer right away. They still produced good results.

Hope these helps.

Agony and MalStrom like this.
  4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@Vasumathy - where was this done ? City and medical center.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The process Vasumathy mentions is I think the entire IVF cycle, where the eggs are retrieved and fertilized with sperm, embryos are created and the extra ones are stored. That will be done at all fertility clinics, but will require a partner or donor sperm.
    If you want to preserve just the eggs, the process is similar to IVF but one the eggs are retrieved they are frozen without being fertilized. It is becoming more common in the West as single women want to maximize feertility but is still relatively new. Make sure this is what your clinic will do.
    In theory any IVF clinic should be able to do just the egg freezing, but ask about their statistics and success rates. In the US the clinics are supposed to make this information public yearly, don't know the process in India.

Agony likes this.
  6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Its Chennai Fertility Center, chennai. Checkout internet for further address info. Recently only i noticed they moved to new place around the old area.

Yes, like @MalStrom said, its IVF process only. Not sure if they freeze the follicles without fertilization and the success rate along with that. But with the fertilized freezing, its becoming normal. Every IVF centers stores it for few months. They tend to discard once pregnancy is going smooth. You can have a word with them on these.

7. Agony

Agony Gold IL'ite

I have heard about it from my unmarried friends.
    I think they do it at Dr firuza parikh , she's located in Mumbai.

But as far as I know it's always best freezing embryos.

All the best