1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Fellow Indians - how do you like Canada?

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by neha1, Jul 9, 2012.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

My Husband and me are seriously considering a relocation to Canada. We are already mid-way through the immigration process application.
    I read a lot of unahappy comments from immigrants in Canada. Most say jobs are scarce, more racism as compared to US(may not be a factor for immigrants from other countries), most immigrants end up in blue-collar jobs despite having university-level degress,cost of living is high(I don't care about this though).

Another important factor is Indians are highly respected here in US and most Indians have done very well in their lives in the US. Although, racism is present in US it usually never gets in your way of career progression. I heard Canadians do get in your way and that is why we do not see many immigrants, not only Indians, in top Canadian offices.

Your thoughts?

2. trialman45

trialman45 New IL'ite

Canada is lot better than USA. Whoever told you USA is better is wrong. Typcal desi mentality our people got. I just dont get it. Canadians are not racist at all. In fact they are very very firendly.

If you are really educated and have "real" degree you will find job anywhere in world for that matter. It so happens that most people in India go around with fake degrees or earn theirdegree by throwing away money.

So please dont spread rumors like this around and stop being a typical desi. Not you but people who advised you wrong about Canada.

:)

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I am very happy to read your perspective and just to confirm - those I spoke to are not Indians! Most people are US pr British or Australian expats and some Indians too.

I am not spreading rumors, I came here to stop myself from spreading rumors :)

Well, your post is definitely a breath of fresh air. And , Yes, I agree with you - a real degree will be a real degree,no matter what. Both my Husband and me have our grad degrees from US, so hopefully that is helpful!

1 person likes this.
  4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Your location says that you live in USA? Just wondering......

5. introspection

introspection Silver IL'ite

Cant generalize, but will contribute through personal experience.

Have worked with Canadians, and am doing so now. They don't tell it on your face, but I can feel strong UNDERCURRENTS of racism when they complain about how Canada is changing. People are becoming increasing intolerant to brown people, since Chinese now also seem to think they are white !. They seem to think we are colonialising the place, and bringing in more .... but they don't think how we contribute to their country.

Indians work hard, and can compete with the rest in their own country, some people don't like this, in simple terms.

My ratings of racism after having worked in places would be starting from most racist .... the brits, the aussies, the germans, the dutch, the canadians followed by the americans (who I found were the most tolerant .... guess its because they are plagued by the hispanics ... the mexicans and they found us Indians the lesser of the two evils).

You have made your choice to move anyways ..... hopefully you can be called Canadians and your kids accepted as Canadians made in 10 years from now ..... best of luck ... check out Rusell Peters on Youtube .... ....

Will close with the words from a movie called Shanghai ...released recently ......

Tum jai bolo jai Bharat mata ki jai
    Sone ki chidiya, dengue Malaria
    Gurr bhi hai gobar bhi Bharat mata ki jai ........

There is nothing like home, the future we try to carve for ourselves .... compromising self respect ... probably is not worth it in the long run ...(my opinion only ....)

1 person likes this.
  6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for stopping by. I agree with you on racism/hatred attitude of Canadians. However, I am sure this is only one facet and I'm curious to hear other things, good or bad.
    This is exactly what I've read in forums too. Ths racism is not only against brown skin but also against most immigrants(including hatred for americans;not racism against americans).

I agree - nothing like home but living in a Foreign Country for a few years does not necessarily translate into compromising self respect(although this could be one perspective).

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

This is hilarious, I've seen this sentiment in my city too lol

8. foreverjuly

foreverjuly New IL'ite

I cannot imagine anyone thinking the city of Toronto has an ounce of racism in it, unless that racism is from a tourist.

I have lived in Toronto for ten years. Am not Indian, but have a few good friends who describe themselves as Indian-Canadian (two born in Canada, two not). They have never expressed any sense that there is any racism in Toronto, and all four have decent jobs - three work in office scenarios and one works as a server in a popular restaurant.

Like ANY country (and I do mean any, regardless of its dominant 'race'), you will find some closed-mindedness and xenophobia in the smaller towns, especially towns where there is no university. In towns with a university, the population is more likely to be educated and therefore less likely to hold old-fashioned beliefs (like prejudices). In a big city like Toronto, most of the people you see walking down the street are not white. It is pretty much a perfect mix of all ethnicities in the downtown, and then if you go to areas like Brampton, for example, you will see about 95% percent Indian/South Asian. Yes, some "whites" in those areas have sometimes expressed concern that they feel they can't get jobs at businesses run by South Asians, but I don't chalk most of that up to racism, just to their being frustrated at being occasionally prejudiced against themselves.
    Most places in Toronto, though, nobody even notices what your skin colour is. I'm not kidding. I don't think about it whatsoever. I just assume that anyone I see on the street could be any colour or creed.
    I have spoken to so many immigrants who have chosen to make Canada home, and I have truly never heard anyone (personally) say it was the wrong decision. I truly hope you will come and live in our wonderful country. We are really a peaceful people and Toronto is one of the most tolerant and progressive cities in the world.