1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling Low - manythings running in my mind - need advice

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ilovelife, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ilovelife

ilovelife Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ilites.

Yesterday there was a family gettogeather lunch organised by us.everyboday came ontime and all went according to the plan however my SIL and her Husband as always dint come on time and everyone around 60 plus people occupied their seats and few addtional people came above our expectation and we had to accomadate them. in this process my FIL got tensed and started acting crazy telling "make some people wait and reserve seats for my DD(SIL) and her husband" or i will not have food now let them come and have in my seat etc.." MY DH who was all normal sitting next to me in the dining hall till that time.. but immediately after his dad acted like this he dint even bothered to tell me anything and left the seat and arranged 2 seats for them in our table and went and sat in some corner with his dad..

infact there were two seats in diffrent placed which my SIL and her husband could have occupied but my DH and FIL ensure they sit next to eachtother and left me.

I felt really lonely and sad that to entertain somone who is not ontime he left me and went and dint bothered to tell me also :(

I spoke to him and told him i felt bad for it and he said in anger " you dont understand my situation, anyways i am sorry"

On top of this the same day night when we all were sitting in the hall my DH asked me to get somthing he had asked to keep it with me ( not soo important item though). i was thinking where i had kept it (Bad memory) and meanwhile he started commenting in front of his parents saying you dont keep things properly..i had told you the other day itself, where did you keep blah blah blah.. and finally i found it and gave it to him..

His mom( my MIL) is very happy when he comments on me that i m irresponsible and she adds to his comments and make me feell more sad..

Also because of my bad mood i dint feel like being close to my DH and he just asked me once and slept..

Again in the morning my MIL found that i had not done some work previous day night and started advicing me...My FIL also joined her and DH still sleeping and i was getting so irriated but couldnt do or say anything..

just felt like sharing.. is this how life will be in a home( Family) after marriage..Though i ignore inlaws comments it still hurts, though i understand my DH that end of day he still loves me it still hurts.. is this how life will be after marriage.. i dont know i feel life before marriage was very good except one thing which was lacking that is lifetime companion..

How can i still be happy in my home inspite of all these problemsss

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

2. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite

After being married for 41 years, I can suggest that instead of making mountains out of mole hills try to make mole hills out of mountains.

Ego is the culprit.

Arunadhri

orion80 likes this.
  3. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Lovelife,

You organized lunch. So isn't that your duty to take care of the guest esp the close ones-Sil? Are they your employees to punish them for coming late? Come on, It's a party and people can be late. You have to make arrangements or you could have handled the situation in a better way.

Good that your DH apologized. Now move on.... Don't keep this in heart and spoil your happiness.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  4. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

While I agree that your DH should not have left you alone, I think you should try to understand his position. Your SIL and her husband are your guests. Her husband is "Ghar ka Daamaad". Even if there are 100 more guests around, he will always be the special guest. Atleast to your MIL and FIL. Sons-in-law have that special privlidge in Indian households (while DILs are treated badly). I acknowlege that my DH gets treated very well at my parents place and I will surely extend the same treatment to my SILs husband when she gets married.

I agree that your DH was wrong in commenting in front of everyone. I know MILs love it. Since its a small issue, leave it. But make sure you tell DH firmly that no argurments/lectures before others (not now, some other time)

Chill and enjoy.

5. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Well said Tulipzz:thumbsup

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Words of wisdom :thumbsup, Arunadhri uncle.

7. jaycalifornia

jaycalifornia New IL'ite

Arundhari Sir,
    I respectfully disagree. Perspectives will differ if one is actaully in her shoes. It is very rude infact to leave ones spouse withut any warning in the middle of a party esp after all her hard work.
    Even worse is accusing ones spouse when not in private. I am sure if the roles were reversed and she had made disparaging comments about him in public..hell would have broken loose.
    It is an attitude issue and the husband must be taught ( sad after these years) that he needs to respect his wife. Just because in this forum a lot of women suffer far more abuses does not mean one should settle for anything less.
    Mutual respect is a non-negotiable thing in marraige. My humble opinion.That women have been taught to settle for less is sad indeed.

8. jaycalifornia

jaycalifornia New IL'ite

To I lovelife
    We can have respect without love ..but dont think love ever happens among adults without mutual respect.
    Please talk to your husband and tell/show him the areas that you find him disrespectful.While it is true that some women are in marraiges where things are mostly smooth sail..most of us have had to work at it. It never comes easy. If u find ur spouse/inlaws being disrespectful of you ..please speak out. You can be firm without raising your voice. In many ways its like raising kids..they push u to test ur limits. You give in one too many times ..you cant enforce anything later.

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

You are 100% right about the above.

The thing is ilovelife is a newly married person (less than a year). All of these things in arranged marriage can take time (it is more a problem in arranged marriage than in love marriage - thats my personal opinion, but anyway thats not the main point here). Until then, the first thing to focus on for her will be to improve the communication and it takes heck of a lot of patience. Making everything into a fight or an unpleasant situation will only deteriorate the communication effort.

Her H does not sound like he's a real bad guy, but he seems to need to be told and explained the effect of his behavior on ilovelife. But that's gonna take some patient communication and takes several months to improve old habits.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  10. jaycalifornia

jaycalifornia New IL'ite

Spiderman,
    The reference was to the statement.."make mountain out of a molehill".
    Now here is the way I perceive things. If something is wrong and we are not happy about it..first step is to acknowledge to ourselves and if in doubt confirm from close ones/someone neutral that what is going on is indeed wrong. That is the process Ilovelife is in. And to that I would like to tell her .."Yes it was wrong the way u were treated". I prefer not to brush it away saying.."Nah ..not a big deal. Worse things can happen." They could ...but that does not make this right.
    Now once u identify something is wrong..u work out a plan of action and slowly and steadily fix it. If she never identifies the problem or gets acknowledgement that the hurt she is feeling is indeed valid .,then she will never fix it. Yes I agree that she needs to work on her marriage and that largely will begin by educating her husband that mutual respect shall form the basis of her marriage. IT does not have to be a fight..but it has to stated..repeatedly and firmly and she should settle for nothing less.
    Criticizing /merciless teasing is also a form of abuse
    This is just my personal opinion .