1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling like a worm...

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

A difficult choice really i wouldnt know what to do when.

Regarding the train accident, i feel it is better to be a coward, and lost some money than lose yr life, and leave behind a widow and a child.

There was this case in Dehi some 10 years back.A couple on a Mobike, some goons in the car, troubling them. A good samartian in car came to rescue, he was shot dead, the couple ran away, and never came back to thank the bravery of the brave man. Is that what one deserves from someone who saved your life ?

Regarding the old man, well , i too would feel the same, and do the same as u did, but the old man well if he risked his life, he sould have been smart enopugh to take advance, as i do when i take orders.

But Sri, difficult ones to answer, i would rather be a coward, than be brave and lose my life.

Regards

kamal

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal
    In ancient Tamil literature, there were two kinds of warriors, the ones lying dead on the battlefield bearing the lethal arrow or spear on their chest and the other bearing them on their back. When the news of their death was communicated to their kith and kin, the first question they asked was whether they died wounded on the chest or at the back. If it was on the chest, the bodies were received with great honour and cremated. An injury on the back was considered a big shame because it implied being wounded while fleeing from the battlefield. The injury on the chest would imply death while fighting bravely. But then we must remember that it was all about fighting for the Mother Land and not with vicious thugs.

Many would say that the prudent thing would be to avoid these guys and it is not cowardice. Getting killed by a thug is no honour. In Chennai, the Police have even notified the public not to resist armed bandits. The jewels or other valuables in contention are certainly not worth our life!.
    Sri

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

Police have said that ! that not to resist armed bandits! shameful on their part.

but seriously Sri, bravery in these times, is foolishness too.

i remember a stroy of a famous karate Black belt fellow who was accosted by a few thugs, he saw them coming, with a knife, but he took to his heels and ran away.when asked why, he said i could have killed them inone shot, but there was a small chance, the knife could have got hi somewhere, so he was better off as a coward and avoiding trouble, rather than being Dead , even if by chance.

And though i have not been faced with any such situation, but if god forbid i do face one, i will hand over whatever we have, for money can be earned later, but it is not worth r life.

I remeber my dad keeping a few lakhs cash in his Mumbai Godrej cupboard, and when i used to ask him why, he sued to say, suppose a thief comes in, he startes to beat up everyone, for there is not much money at home, and jewellery in lockers, so frustrated they hit, causing serious injuries

He said, if they come, will tell them , come take this, dont hit anyone, and dont worry, we wont report to the police.This was around 40 years back, that was my Dad, so very wise to things, i always remember hsi words and qualitiies.

Regards

kamal

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I know reality sometimes is cruel but didn't expect to the extent to put someone's life at risk just for a few rupees. I have seen humanity being buried before. Mostly such situations are not made for any other citizen to stand up for the righteousness. That is the most unfortunate part.

I am very pleased you showed your compassion to the old man by getting him something to eat and gave him some money. At least it would reinforce his faith in humanity. When I was in Mumbai, I witnessed the bomb blast in the Bombay Stock Exchange. Realizing that there was going to be too much post blast action, I was trying to leave the place quickly but I went passed every one of the blast spots and it took 5 hours for me to get away to my office in Andheri.

I felt bad for everyone who lost their lives for nothing. I mourned it for a while and came out of it quickly. Then the riots started. I was working for a multinational corporation and hence I can't take a break. Everyday, I used to drive my car all by myself from Kandivili to Andheri, a good 25 to 30 minutes drive. I used to see people from a specific religion being chased on the side of the road with deadly weapons. I had to pretend as though nothing was happening to get to work. Many times, they stopped me and after seeing the Ganesh picture placed prominently inside my car, they let me go. I had spent number of nights not sleeping thinking about it and skipped lunch and dinner when I got overwhelmed by those thoughts.

Sometimes, our duty ends feeling bad about it when the situation is not right for us to interfere.

Viswa

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    Sometimes we have to be like a coward. We cannot show heroism.....in the fims they act, they are not showing bravery. it is good to lose some money than losing life. But in some circumstances we can be a bit bold....one can reprimand the boy who asked the old man to sit in the middle of the road. If one person raises his/her voice others would support. What you have done is a compassionate thing to buy some biscuits and fruits and give him some money. Should we keep quiet when someone jumps the que at bus stand or supermarket? No, we need not.

Syamala

6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    It is not unusual for a person who tries to mediate between two warring parties getting killed. We read such news items almost on a regular basis. I read 'Sundara Kantam' every day and the chapter that deals with Vibhishana pleading with Ravana who wanted to put Lord Hanuman to death that messengers should not be killed according to the royal protocol. The best part is Ravana listens to this advice and spares Lord Hanuman and orders his tail to be set on fire instead. It was of course a different Yuga.

In the last Yuga, we saw how Lord Krishna was humiliated when He went to plead Pandavas' cause. We are now in Kaliyuga. No one is going to listen to us. It is better to steer clear of all trouble spots. We owe this to our family and friends.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Syamala
    I am sorry to say that in the incident that I have narrated, everyone present looked the other way as the boys had written thugs written all over their faces. I was just watching a TV ad in which a young woman asks a bus driver to reverse his bus and stop it at the bus stop to enable on old couple to board the bus. This woman is supposed to have gained enough confidence to do this since she started using some fairness cream! In reality, every one runs after the bus to board it wherever the driver decides to stop it!
    Sri

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Some bus drivers have a sadistic tendency....they stop the bus either 50 yards after the bus stop or 50 yards before the bus stop. They find an inherent pleasure when people run after the bus or struggle in getting down.In some offices when you go for some work....they make you wait and wait, saying the officer is busy (though it is not always the case). They feel a kind of importance for themselves. Why do they like this....they may be having their own reasons. But it is not fair. In Hyderabad (I do not know how it is in Chennai, very little experience with Chennai city)...the auto driver, first he does not look at us, when we call him he slowly tilts his eyes, not head, looks at us. Then we tell him where we have to go.He makes a blank face and we have to look at him waiting whether he would say yes or no. After a few seconds he nods his head indicating that he doesn't want to come. Then we go for another auto and try.

Syamala

9. Cheeniya

Dear Syamala
    The Chennai auto fellows are no better though they follow a different strategy. They feign great interest in you, make you get in with the promise that they would accept whatever you pay and make your life miserable with a wordy duel at your destination. And you can't match them in this duel! It is the famous 'Bakri ko andhar aane do' strategy!
    Sri

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Your helping the old man by buying him something to eat and giving him Rs. 10/- was a great act rather than stopping the young guy to do something wrong. Your ramblings are a great inspiration to everyone here