1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling like a worm...

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 17, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Sir,

This subject of yours has been in my mind for a long time. I mean from my age of understanding. When you consider the gender, if males are made to feel like worm, what about us?

The army officer met his death, shows his real courage. I would say he was quiet practical as courage is his nature. And you too behaved practically in the case of that old man. Your good nature made you to pity and help him. I feel you need not have to feel like a worm for this incident. If at all you had a chance of correcting that youth, I think your precious time is wasted.

There are films which shows the hero being practical all over and in some movies he is depicted as a wise and intelligent man to escape from all his enemies.

So generally it all depends on our nature (subhavam). Courageous are courageous, gentle are gentle, good are good and bad are bad.

regards,

Vanaja

2. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

I do feel like that many times...........

Dear Sr. Sri,

I understand your feelings at having to watch helplessly without being able to garner your thoughts into action.

While you talk about the happening in a public place, has anyone given thought to the same happening within a family -- we know that it is wrong but still are not able to either interfere or stop the flow of words or actions.

I feel this is all the more true for grandparents - a real torture for them to watch their grand children in the hands of their children!!!!!!!!

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lalithasai
    Non-violence is becoming increasingly synonymous with cowardice and incompetence! The kind of violence that we witness even in sedate cities like Chennai is indeed blood-curdling. The only way we can ease our feeling of guilt about our inability to deal squarely with thugs is to extend a helping hand to the victims of such thugs AFTER ensuring that the thugs are out of sight!
    My greatest fantasy particularly after I witness rampant lawlessness is bashing up these thugs single-handedly like Bruce Lee!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Dear TDS
    Fatal accidents have become so common in Chennai that Police Officers keep telling people that the victims must be rushed to the Hospital and the people who do this will not be troubled by the Police. The irony is even the hospitals, most of them, will not take the victims as in-patiens unless a report has been made to the Police! Most of the accident victims continue to die due to lack of immediate attention. To tell you the truth, anyone who helps the victims is called to the Police Station at least half a dozen times.
    I am amazed that such things do happen even in cities like London
    Sri

2 people like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Kamla
    It is natural that we warm to a person who does things which we cant even dream of! Indian Kamal Hassan is one such example. Director Shankar knows the psyche of common man and hence keeps on feeding him with something that gives him great joy!
    We too have witnessed gruesome murders committed in broad daylight and yet the culprits are not brought to books for want of any witness. When such acts take place in public places, the crowd just melts away because no one wants to be seen by the thugs as witness. Understandably so.
    The FBs that I have received so far have eased my conscience considerably.
    sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Vanaja
    Subhavam is the end product of up bringing. Generally middleclass families, being burdened with their own problems, do not want to invite any fresh problem through interference with rowdysm in public places. We have all been taught to mind our own business and concentrate on our own lives.
    I dont know if you saw the movie Gazini. It is such a sad spectacle seeing the heroin rescuing girls from thugs and in the bargain getting brutally murdered. She loses her chance to get married to an international business magnate.
    We all felt sorry why the girl had to take such rescue acts upon her head.
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    That is indeed a true extension of a public act of cruelty to our families. Yes. Very often we witness great injustice within our own families but we prefer to keep silent due to several pressures!
    Very often what we see happening in our own familes is far worse than what happens in public places
    Sri

8. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear sri

well this is another intersting post of urs....as chitvish had rightly mentioned all of us cum out of the way and say namakku edhukku vambu...

while reading this post,i remember an incident ..daily nadakara affair dhaan..i used to do my final project for 6 months at lucas tvs..this was a projct tht we had to do at the end of our coll life..i was staying in alwarpet and i used to travel by 41D frm alwarpet to padi...most of the times in the eve the buses used to b really crowded and u can c tht certain men literally cuming fallling over the women...one day while we were travelling a man who was probably in his mid 40's was just cuming n falling over all the women standing b4 him...i was too there in the list..i knw he was doing it wantedly..i cudnt take it..u knw what i did..i was wearing heels slippers....as he was doing ti as if it all happened by itself..i also stamped him strongly..when i turned back in the next stop he had got down...certain times we really cant control ourselves and need to behave like a lioness too....

lov
    sowmi

9. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

It is the notorious youngster and the girls who smiled and encouraged the guy are the ones who should feel like a worm and definitely not you. By comforting the poor old man, you have risen above a comman man who helplessly watches and moves on. Also, confrontation may not be a wise thing to do in such circumstances. So, please don't be so harsh on yourself...!

One other thing you could have done is, to ensure a lawful punishment for the heartless guy who pushed the beggar into a potentially fatal situation. But again I don't know about the cops in Adyar then. Also, since the guy vanished in a bus, you couldn't have done it then and there was no guarantee the guy could be spotted the next day or the day after in the same spot.

-Gayathri.

10. Cheeniya

Dear Sowmini
    Vallavanukku pullum ayudam! So your high heels came handy for you. I must admire your guts really! I am also trying to access the incidents of my past to see if I ever acted as bravely as you did and I have so far drawn blank. If anything comes to my mind besides killing a few cockroaches, I'll certainly share it with you!
    Sri