1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling isolated - how many like me ?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by skalluri, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Me too experienced similar situation in USA. i wit suggest go for walk or spend time in park. Try going out at such places where I can make friends. Make friendships wid neighbors n spend time wid dem. go for swimming, walking or other hobbies.find people wid whom u can atleast talk for 10 mins about ur life.

2. rajakumaruma

rajakumaruma Senior IL'ite

Peace should come from within and not from outside.No one can be happy just because they have friends and family around them. First start the day by being grateful for what you already have. Try to go out to parks or somewhere during weekends with just your hubby and kids. Do something creative in your sparetime like some crafts or even reading a book.Donot put the key to your happiness in someone else's pocket. Enjoy the freedom you have. Why do you need validation or help from others to stay happy? Do your everyday work, put life and passion into everything you do right from cleaning the house,cooking to watching movies or listening to music. When you are contended,your hubby also will be happy.Pamper yourself. Just sit quietly and dig in to your mind and discover those unrealized ambitions you had right from the childhood,and believe me 24 hours a day won't be enough to fulfill them.Take care
    uma.

3 people like this.
  3. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

OP, I hear you. My struggle in the US is slightly different but yes US is a very isolating place.

Here are few options
    1. Find a home in predominantly indian community. Just an evening walk during summer can make you friends
    2. Local libraries are a good place to make friends. They have book clubs and many other activities.
    3. Reach out to old friends. Facebook can help you find if any old friends are near you.
    4. Join classes , volunteer for activities .it is much easier to befriend people with common interests. I love painting and it Is so nice to meet like minded people
    5. Try to rekindle relationships with family. Nothing can substitute for family. It's family that is with you at the end of the day. My work around was, I sat and analysed what caused friction between me and my in laws, parents. I try to minimize those friction points and try to understand their perspective better. For instance, my MIL would control me on everything even the number of times I should breathe in a day. We used to have many fights because of her controlling nature. Slowly I started to see where the behavior was coming from, my MIL grew up with her aunt who used her as a slave. So my MIL was trying to make my life miserable because she had spent her younger days miserable. I tried to empathize with her and told her that I sure feel bad she had a horrible childhood and I am willing to listen to her anytime she feels frustrated or upset ruminating over past. I also told her she will find more happiness by letting go of that past and enjoying the present. My relationship with her is much better now.
    6. I had issues with my SIL but when she moved to US, I tried to extend her the help she needed even though she was not talking to me. She hated me because I was disrespectful to my MIL. I make sure I don't disrespect MIL. The Ice broke down slowly and now we hang out so much in NYC We both like the same hangout spots. So really try to mend broken relationships. It is worth it.

Keep trying, friendship takes a lot of work. Just because 1-2 people turned down does not mean you cannot have friends.

Everyone in this world want to be treated well, so when you treat your acquaintances well, slowly they become your friends.

2 people like this.
  4. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks New IL'ite

i really liked your reply.These words are very needed for me now.Thank you.

5. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks New IL'ite

i really liked your reply.These words are very needed for me now.Thank you.

6. Arrul

Arrul Gold IL'ite

Hi dear

when I see ur post I m seeing myself a few years ago

i was so happy getting married n going abroad (Abudhabi)
    initiallt everything was new n cool ... Days passed n my loneliness started
    even though I m living in a community with have many Indians
    no one was ready to talk at the first meet

I spent my time watching tv , calling mom , fb and all
    that too got bored

I used to be very active ... I becom lazy ...
    Started showing my frustration as anger to my hubby
    he tries his best to b with me in all my worst times

then one day my hubby got me some chart paper n colour box
    he knows I love painting .... By that way my creative side started working
    n I started using my time in creating things ... Then started learning new
    art from net ... After that we got a kid now no time for myself also
    always running running running busily .....

Just don't let yourself down .... You know what you like the most
    do that ... It Ll make u happy ... Some times we might have forgot what we liked
    just look back n find it ....

7. Gouri9

Gouri9 Silver IL'ite

hii All,

we can all become friends here and chat everyday..no one has to feel isolated :)

4 people like this.
  8. Gouri9

Gouri9 Silver IL'ite

hi happy new year!! how are you all doing? btt

2 people like this.
  9. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi @skalluri sorry to hear you are feeling isolated ..we are in the same boat... I feel there are so many like us. I wonder if it will be possible to get /make true friends which we had in school or college .All my friends are far away and this country is really different from India. So hard to make them understand how the situation is here..
    If you are interested we can be penfriends even though it won't be like friends in real still we can friends... :)