1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling Helpless bcz of brother wedding - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by nomad24, Jan 8, 2015.

1. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

If he really liked those girls, he should have got married. Caving into parental pressure was not right, on his part.

I can understand how you must feel, because one of my relatives married a girl, who is only a graduate, in a not so good, poorly-paid job. Every one in our family is professionally qualified.

No one looks down on her. Our relatives treat her and her family at par with themselves. But, there is a difference in the topics of conversation, thoughts, mindsets, and it is not easy to get past this all the time. She is going to be closely related to you, so I understand your worrying.

It is best that to marry people at equal socio-economic level as oneself. Neither too rich, nor too poor. Because money is immaterial. But the differences in upbringing, and mindsets is very difficult to accommodate. I have seen this with these relatives.

Tell your brother you are there for him. Talk to him about his reasons for marrying. I think he is worried about ending up alone. If so, then try having some of your eligible friends/acquaintances around, get your parents involved in searching for a girl, create an online profile.

If he is serious about this girl, then there is nothing you can do, other than accepting his choice. Tell him you will support him. But, ask him some questions, just to make sure he is not marrying just for the sake of marriage.

1. Why is he accepting her now, after rejecting her earlier? Try to find out if he really loves her, or only wants to settle down.
    2. Can she fit in with your family, despite difference in background? If yes, then good. No more questions.
    3. How he will feel if his wife is unable to fit in during gatherings, functions etc., due to differences in background?
    4. How will he feel if his relatives are not able to mix with her?
    5. Will his girl friend feel comfortable in these situations?

First, however, I think you should meet her face to face. Try to get to know her. Is she able to converse with you on general topics, like current events? Will she be able to mingle, in spite of her different background? Is she good - natured? Will she keep your brother happy? If you answer yes, then you can bless this match.

1 person likes this.
  2. nomad24

nomad24 Senior IL'ite

His reactions are: She is a nice girl, friendly will gel in family and will keep it together. And that she can do some distance learning n do further studies. His argument is that he is well settled, well read and educated so he can take of all things. At best he sways into extremes - saying he will remain single all his life and that he doesn't care about anyone which I understand is coming from frustrations. The situation is getting the better of him. His previous 2 gf's were well settled and well educated doing well in their chosen professions, but for this time around he opines he doesn't want a career oriented girl who works and stretches late in the office which is very astonishing when everyone in the family - male/female are doing well in life and career - i don't know what's gotten into his head thinkingsmiley

She may be teachable but that is something time will tell. My parents had a love marriage too, they had eloped. But in the grand scheme of things this may be irrelevant.

I hope better sense prevails. BTW - I loved the cartoon! I wish I could send it to my brother :p

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Ex colleague and friend to who? You or your brother? If she used to work with your bro then that means she has similar qualifications/profession as him. So she is in fact well educated, qualified and holding a good job. Now the thing about her dad being a daily wage employee and her sisters profession-- is your concern because they may require financial assistance from the couple after marriage or is it a class/snob thing?

Op, frankly I am beginning to sympathize with your bro's plight. Poor guy just wants to get married and nothing wrong with that. Now at age 30 really it is high time he did so. He has bowed to family wishes not once but twice. First for you and then because he was dating a foreigner which he too realized is not going to be a good fit with his family. Now even though he has found an Indian girl, well qualified, former colleague to boot, you ppl are not happy and still raising objections. I do understand his frustration. (And I did notice the afterthought you inserted about caste -- am sure it is also a factor in the mix) I think you need to step up and be the elder sister and support him in his choices. Tell one thing: did you/your parent look for a match for him till now? No right? too busy with your married life, right? You ppl should be actively helping him get married and instead of that you are only are raising objections when he tries to resolve the issue by himself. This is not correct -- in my opinion.

Her Facebook comments and choices mean nothing. in fact this is a very 'woman' thing that is bothering you about her choice or way of talking...I mean we women notice such things and hold them against each other but not so with men...men rarely are bothered by/notice such things...are you really expecting a clone of yourself/your mom to come as your sil? That is unrealistic. In every alliance there will be some cons. You really should go meet her and talk to her. Her choice and comments on stupid fb dont matter as much as how she behaves with you, talks to you or treats you and your parents. Her nature, her outlook these are the things to consider not all this other stuff about which horoscope, what does her dad do and what does her sister do. Again just my opinion.

3 people like this.
  4. nomad24

nomad24 Senior IL'ite

well, she was the front desk/reception/admin girl at his workplace. so not at the same ranks - technically still a colleague. and no my concern is not that they need financial assistance. If you read my post clearly - i have not mentioned money as an issue.

5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Good God!! so indirectly are you agreeing it is a class thing????

^^^This is what you believe now. And yet 7 years ago the above did not apply --neither to you, nor to him. 7 years ago age was more important, wasnt it? yes I do find your statement ironical.

Actually here you misunderstood me completely. I said 'the poor guy just wants to get married' because ever since he was 23, ie., for past 7 years he has been actively attempting to enter the state of matrimony - with 3 different women, no less. Nothing 'haw 30 and unmarried' about it. 7 years is a long time to spend trying to do any one thing including trying to get married.

all the more reason to respect his choice then isnt it? if he has been shown girls you/ family think are suitable/respectable and has vetoed them all then it is very clear where his choice lies. Then why the stress and confusion?

sindmani, pinkRoseBud, Rakhii and 4 others like this.
  6. nomad24

nomad24 Senior IL'ite

What you call class does matter to an extent. Hypothetically speaking Would you recommend your own brother to marry a domestic maid and I don't know if you are married or not - would you or would have married a truck driver in India? The example is extreme but I am sure the so called 'class' factor would come into play in both scenarios. Would you or your parents just be okay because its the choice you have made?

I believed in this statement 7 yrs back and now as well. I waited for the right man rather than marrying bcz of age and we never once told my brother he is too young to marry or anything of that sorts. If you read my posts, I was ok he getting married before me, but the girl wasn't willing to wait even 6 months and like most indian parents, they want elder daughter to marry first than the younger child who is still studying.

Dont agree with you here when you say he is trying to get married for the last 7 yrs. If that's what he wanted, then he wouldn't invest yrs into relationships. That would make him desperate for marriage or a relationship. And if he is - then he may be making wrong choices out of being driven by compulsion to JUST marry. If he was desperate to marry he did not pay heed to I believe atleast 50-60 girls we wanted him to meet.

It's not that he vetoed all girls we asked him to meet. He has been asked to meet or check out bio data pics. He has not met or even read anyone's profile or checked out anyone's photos. He didnt say he didnt like them, he said he doesnt wanna meet anyone or check anyone's profile which defeats the logic you have given that all he is trying to do is get married for the last 7 yrs.

It may be very clear what his choices are but they may not be right and they may be right. He may be an adult but still prone to be making wrong choices/decisions and parents/siblings you will always worry about it. You may be super cool in a situation like that and not fret who/what comes into your family and if she is the right fit and whether it will be a happy matrimony and healthy. Its not just 2 ppl marrying - its so many new relationships being formed other than the obvious husband-wife one. It's not always black or white and life is mostly grey.

Lakshmi6197 likes this.
  7. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

i think the sister op here has genuine concern for her brother's long term life on marriage with this alliance.... love is blind and all do say no caste , no religion, no issues.... but after marriage all these issues do crop up.... also normal marriages where all are right and worked out too hav issues...so no question ther will be issues in here... your bro is just sleeping with eyes open

Lakshmi6197 and nb25 like this.
  8. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

I was resisting my self to post on thread but doing finally.
    Nice to hear you are comparing receptionist with maid (however maid's are also human being and they have full right). Your brother is n love woth that girl and and you/family is not in favor because of her financial status. Will you guarantee, if he marry to some one from your class, his life will be set and happy..No..right?..because no one can predict (I had seen girls who were too good from childhood but made their ILs life hell after marriage).

Your brother is in love ..he is not a teenager who can not take a decision him self. Let him marry and live life in his own term. Also, horoscope is not some thing which guarantee for happy life (visit relationship section in IL..will not how many unhappy couples are their whose horoscope are matched or theyr are from same so called status). Personally, mine is love marriage , horoscope didn't match and not same family status but we have same level of education. We are a happy couple with no IL issue or any thing (now we are married for 7 years). My brother married to a girl who was from village (she completed her graduation after marriage and post graduation after her 2 kids) because my grand pa liked her. And he is happy with his wife (and we too, she adjusted very well in family and I am proud to say she is favorite DIL in our family/relatives and she took my elders sis's place , I do not have any sister). My brother is married for 12 years now and we are very proud of her. So it is not always status or education which guarantee happiness in family.

sindmani, pinkRoseBud, jlak and 5 others like this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Re: the 'class thing':

Defining 'class' socioeconomically (decoupled from caste), for me, class origins would not matter, but class constraints would. If I were to run into a grad-school classmate at the airport on her way to the Thyagaraja Festival in Cleveland, clutching a copy of Piketty for in-flight reading, then there's a basis for friendship and more. It would not matter that her father is a truck-driver in India. The girl in this TED video (at 10:25 min) can count on a date with me anytime (were she older!) - so much yearning, so much passion, so much energy, such a capacity for pleasure! Her eyes are set on the far horizon. She will make something of herself, thanks to Shukla; but then this is a statistical anomaly. In general, a lower socioeconomic status in India (and elsewhere) dooms you to limited horizons, no mater what your ability.

Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

Therein lies the tragedy of socioeconomic class.

(The complement can be true as well, as so many members of the British royal family and other privileged scions of the 1% are keen to demonstrate!)

In OP's case, the concerns are justified. Her worry is that the incompatibilities might portend fissures in the marriage later. Of course, the problem is that only the brother knows the girl in question - so yes, OP try and get to know her. My hope is that she has latent energies that your brother finds attractive, although I am still not persuaded about his judgement. Maybe she will surprise you. As for education, degrees and so on, if she is able and motivated, then those temporary 'failings' can be remedied. In the end, it's his life, he is an educated, employed, independent adult, so he gets to make the call, he gets to deal with the consequences, but OP's worries can well be that of a good sister who only wants what's best for her brother.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In Indian culture, parents and siblings can have the power to deny a person's choice of partner.

In western culture, parents and siblings mostly stop at not approving of a person's choice.

There is a world of difference between the ability to "deny" and "not approve".

Family can say: "We do not think this is a good match, have you thought it over properly, we are there for you if needed, good luck"

or

Family can say: "No, this is not a good match, never, you will marry her over our dead bodies, if you marry her consider our relationship dead, we disown you"

The former makes for more peace and mutual respect among adults in the world.
    The latter makes for more threads here in IL.